Main Menu

THX 1138

Started by paulvonscott, 26 July, 2004, 10:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Well, as we're venting spleens at George Lucas, here is what looks like a great little website about one of my all time films, which I've heard he's giving 'The Treatment' ;)

If you like bleak severe hard SF this is a great great movie.

Link: http://www.thx1138movie.com/" target="_blank">THX 1138

RyanKingo7

looks like an awesome movie, kinda reminds me of that book by George Orwell.

paulvonscott

Heh, it is in the theme of 1984.  But it is an incredible movie.  If you think there's more to science fiction that enjoyable junk like the Terminators of this world, then it's a must see.

I worry about the directors cut, I would like both!

ESCUBRIA

It's good, more a film of great sound design & image compostion though, than of great ideas or story.

therev

Thought it was the dullest moive I'd ever seen.
But then I was about 8...!http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Thepreacher667/reader.jpg">

paulvonscott

I wouldn't neccesarily disagree Escubria, but then again I'm getting celebratory pissed after the old antibiotics.

It's the sort of film you couldn't make these days.  An experience if nothing else.

The rev, I'd have been bored at 8 as well.  I saw it about 16/17 and it was just what I was after.

Tiplodocus

Not seen this for years.

If I recall, I saw it on a double bill with 2001 at the GFT many years ago.  I thought it was pretty good and it made me look out for more of Robert Duvall whenever I got the chance.

Doesn't it use that sort of silvery tunnell that finds its way into all sorts of SF movies (Blade Runner? Terminator?).  

You should be able to make films like that these days. You don't always need an action beat every ten minutes like that idiot GEORGE LUCAS has convinced everybody. Oh, hang on... ;)

Quite fancy seeing it again, now.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ESCUBRIA

Oh, you could make a film like THX now, if you were independently wealthy like George Lucas that is, but you'd need to make the effort rather than squander your resources on pap like he does.

But there is a trait in all Lucas' directed/written films, they are superficial without much depth, a style that actually suits the tone and premise of THX quite well, which is probably why it's claimed to be his best film. He may have been apeing Kubrick, 2001 style, on that one though.

He pretty much forgot about his talent after the first Star Wars and became a bit arrogant, claiming it did'n't matter who directed Star Wars films as they would still come out the same way, I wonder if he said that to Irving Kershner's face?

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

House of Usher

I don't want to spoilerise this...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

?

...But the ending really is quite absurdly funny.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

?
STRIKE !!!

Richmond Clements

I've never seen it.
But I seem to remember a quote for FF Coppola. Bearing in mind that Lucas had made THX and American Graffitti, both hailed as good films in their own right. When he saw Star Wars, and the whole industruy that blossomed around it, Coppola commented that because of this movie, the world had lost a great movie maker.