Main Menu

Prog 2089 - The Apes of Wrath!

Started by Richard, 07 July, 2018, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

A brilliant cover by Chris Weston. I bet that one attracts some new readers!

The Dredd story concludes, and it's pretty funny.

The Order -- I don't care for this.

Skip Tracer finishes. It's coming back in prog 2100. I hope it gets better.

Deadworld has some spectacular images, as usual. Interesting to see an early version of [spoiler]Judge Fear.[/spoiler]

Best story for me this week is the last episode of Durham Red. Can't explain why without spoiling it, but it should be self-evident. I really like this take on the character and I can't wait for another series of this.

Steve Green

What's going on with the white frames around text?

I noticed it in the last (digital) prog on titles.

broodblik

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 July, 2018, 02:55:04 PM

This is an ongoing thing with the digital version of the prog
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Steve Green

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 July, 2018, 02:55:04 PM

I got the above image from the 2000AD Facebook page.

And here is the unadorned thing of beauty from Chris Weston.

Frank

With the obvious proviso that all art and appreciation is subjective, Weston is now greater* than Bolland ever was.

* And, in terms of pages rendered for Tharg, has now overtaken Mr Mamoullian in every respect other than number of covers. Weston still has plenty of time to catch up to Bolland's impressive cover tally, but - with the best will in the world - it seems unlikely Bolland will ever add more than another few pages to the number of strip pages he's blessed us with. Westie stats; Bollo stats.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 07 July, 2018, 04:49:29 PM
With the obvious proviso that all art and appreciation is subjective, Weston is now greater* than Bolland ever was.

In terms of covers, we'll see.

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 07 July, 2018, 01:21:34 PM

Skip Tracer finishes. It's coming back in prog 2100. I hope it gets better.

First time I read that I missed the word 'prog'.  The thought that we'd have to wait 82 years for the next part was a little disturbing but I was loving the optimism about Tooth's longevity.

[Here's where someone starts the old "Well, what will 2000ad be called in 2100?" debate ..... oops!   :o ]

Geoff

Oohh I don't know about that, I absolutely adore Weston's art but greater...that's tough

One thing they both have in common is that when you see their b/w inking often it defies belief that a human hand has done such intricate work.

His current work is certainly better than the digital Bolland though, no contest!

Woolly

* And, in terms of pages rendered for Tharg, has now overtaken Mr Mamoullian in every respect other than number of covers. Weston still has plenty of time to catch up to Bolland's impressive cover tally, but - with the best will in the world - it seems unlikely Bolland will ever add more than another few pages to the number of strip pages he's blessed us with. Westie stats; Bollo stats.

I would argue that Chris Weston is possibly one of the best comic artists who ever lived, but I'm not sure I know enough about comic art to actually state that.
For what it's worth, he still has to eclipse Judge Death Lives to take Bolland's crown though.

Eamonn Clarke

Cover of the year so far, and this is a year with a McMahon Dredd cover, a classic Ezquerra Johnny Alpha image, and three Langley ABC Warriors (so far).

Cover tag line of the year, although Garth Marenghi and Bugs Bunny went there sooner.

I've just read Dredd so far, and then I've just read it again, and again. "Grud! Ape attack."

Woolly

One day, Tim Roth will do a tv show where he lists things he doesn't like. It will be called 'The Gripes of Roth', and shall be awesome.
And on that day, I shall point to this very post and claim ownership of the idea, Pat Mills style.

Also, that cover is very, very good.

Fungus

Um, OK. I prefer Bolland  ::)

Thank goodness for this Dredd, Williams/Weston have become a bit of a dream team. Recent progs aren't hitting the mark for me at all so thank Grud for this.

athorist

I just came here to say that the art for The Order is amazing, especially the third panel on page 1. Having been reading Nikolai Dante in the ultimate collection, I can't believe I didn't realise sooner that it was John Burns.

I jumped straight to Durham Red, and I love the sequence on page 3. Maybe the ending's a bit contrived - [spoiler]would she really lose control so easily when she only fed last issue? - although they did make it a point that he didn't last that long[/spoiler], but when characters have weaknesses like that, l'm a fan of having it actually be inconvenient to them.

None of the others really jump out at me. Skip Tracer was fine, but I hope next time it does a bit more than just [spoiler]a betrayal[/spoiler] from a character that I don't really know.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs