Main Menu

The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast - the official podcast of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

Started by Molch-R, 22 January, 2015, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

J.Smith

Indeed, I look forward to more funny openers when you feel so inspired. The thought of everyone greeting each other with "Borag Thungg" is going to be a hard one to top, mind. :lol:

Count Alan Grant as another person to be dragged back for more of these when relevant. Quite an interesting episode, though a little bit startling in my case when he mentioned his supernatural experience of seeing his dead gran as a child, something which also happened to me the night after my gran died, although unlike Grant, I'll happily account it to being completely sleep deprived and my insistence that I saw the ghost simply a child's confusion of emotions (she was the first family member that I had met and known for years to have died and I didn't immediately cry about it or really display any clear feelings about it at all until that point). The explanation for all his interest in the religious themes was especially insightful. Going to Sunday school from the age of three to sixteen really sounds like the sort of thing that would drive most young people away from actually believing in what they're being taught, especially if it was on top of regular school, which I don't believe he mentioned (I was taught all through primary and high school, which was difficult enough to put with - a Sunday school on top of that would've threw me over the edge at an even earlier age), but it's obvious why a fascination with the subject would at least be maintained and with research into other religions and what he was taught, why one might feel a bit cynical about how we delightful humans tend to act in god's name.

If there were any flaw this time around, it was a shame not more was said about Arthur Ranson and the process between him and Alan, if there was one, in creating some of the more jaw-dropping pages; but I guess such questions are better answered in his own interviews, probably on the web somewhere (or perhaps in this particular volume's end article, which I haven't yet reached).

Other than that, top stuff. Should be a fucking miserable episode next time when covering the Dredd story that has depressed me the most to read.

Geoff

Great introduction and very much enjoyed the thrillcast as usual.

It would be nice to have a little more general 2000ad related news/info not directly related to the mega collection in each episode though. 

Maybe a competition every other episode...

robert_ellis

Sheridan, I've never read Mandroid. Why the strong feelings? Without spoilers if possible.

sheridan

Quote from: robert_ellis on 21 March, 2015, 11:03:05 PM
Sheridan, I've never read Mandroid. Why the strong feelings? Without spoilers if possible.

?  I liked Mandroid - one of the best Dredd stories for some time at the time it was published.

Colin YNWA

A weekend of lots of jobs around the house has meant I'd finally made the time to catch up with these. Fantastic stuff and really nice to hear a presenter who allows there to be a conversational style that opens up what the creator says without talking all over them. Something others could learn from!

Clearly not necessarily in the remit of this Podcast but would be lovely as things progress if as well as talking about the Mega-collection maybe a mini-feature about other 2000ad stuff could be dropped in. After all if the MegaCollection is succeeding in drawing in new readers would be lovely to point them to some of the other good stuff from the Galaxies Greatest?

So for example when talking to say Alan Grant you could drop in a five, ten minute chat with someone or other about say Mazeworld and those books? Kinda a ...

"And if you did like Shamballa you might also like to try..."

... thing?

Skullmo

Quote from: J.Smith on 11 March, 2015, 04:39:20 PM
Very good to hear. Have to admit that I don't bother with podcasts though. Prior to tuning into these, all I've listened to in full are a small number of episodes of ECBT2000AD  . . . episodes but mostly its creator interviews, the latter-most of which is a big part of the reason that I've been tuning into the Thrillcast.

If you enjoy creator interviews you may also enjoy the Inky Fingers podcast that has interviewed quite a few 2000ad creators including Carlos Ezquerra, Glenn Fabry, Leigh Gallagher, Ben Willsher, and Pye Parr - http://inkyfingerspodcast.blogspot.co.uk
It's a joke. I was joking.

J.Smith

Quote from: Skullmo on 22 March, 2015, 12:29:46 PM
Quote from: J.Smith on 11 March, 2015, 04:39:20 PM
Very good to hear. Have to admit that I don't bother with podcasts though. Prior to tuning into these, all I've listened to in full are a small number of episodes of ECBT2000AD  . . . episodes but mostly its creator interviews, the latter-most of which is a big part of the reason that I've been tuning into the Thrillcast.

If you enjoy creator interviews you may also enjoy the Inky Fingers podcast that has interviewed quite a few 2000ad creators including Carlos Ezquerra, Glenn Fabry, Leigh Gallagher, Ben Willsher, and Pye Parr - http://inkyfingerspodcast.blogspot.co.uk

Ah, thanks for the heads up.

robert_ellis

"Other than that, top stuff. Should be a fucking miserable episode next time when covering the Dredd story that has depressed me the most to read."
[/quote]
Sorry for questioning Sheridan - I meant to ask J.Smith why the strong feelings for Mandroid - I've never read it but assumed it must be good to be put into the Dredd collection so early.

sheridan

Quote from: robert_ellis on 30 March, 2015, 09:33:54 PM
"Other than that, top stuff. Should be a fucking miserable episode next time when covering the Dredd story that has depressed me the most to read."
Sorry for questioning Sheridan - I meant to ask J.Smith why the strong feelings for Mandroid - I've never read it but assumed it must be good to be put into the Dredd collection so early.

It is a good story, but I can see why it could instil feelings of misery and depression in those who read it (especially if you're from a military background).  i.e. not because it's a bad story, but because of the themes and content.

J.Smith

Yeah, what sheridan said. It is a good story, a great one in fact (I feel less strongly about the sequel unfortunately), but out of all the darker Dredd tales I've read, I have to say that this one is thickest with a sense of hopelessness and nihilism. You'll no doubt see what I mean when you read it but I think that the reason it's so effective in this way compared to other darker series' I've read set in the universe is because, like America, Mandroid's focused on the lives of the citizens with one key difference being that Dredd is a more sympathetic figure at first towards the main character, which means even he is emotionally involved in his own way. That, and there's a greater sense of normality to Nate's family finding themselves in a poor block in the middle of the Big Meg, as well as what happens to them. i.e. This is the kind of thing we see all the time in Dredd but really up close and personal.

Molch-R

Afternoon all! I'm pleased to announce that 'Mandroid' artist Kev Walker is joining us on tomorrow's Thrill-Cast to talk about his work on the story, his time on the Sylvester Stallone 'Judge Dredd' movie, and why saying you can paint when you actually can't is probably not an ideal form of career progression...

All downloadable from the usual sources from tomorrow morning!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Molch-R on 31 March, 2015, 05:25:54 PM
All downloadable from the usual sources from tomorrow morning!

Looking forward to it. Kev's a lovely guy, and very funny, so hopefully he'll make up for that other guy, who can't even get his Betelgeusian phrases straight.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Molch-R

The latest 2000 AD Thrill-Cast is now up on iTunes and Soundcloud, with special guest Kev Walker!
www.2000adonline.com/thrillcast
https://soundcloud.com/2000-ad/the-2000-ad-thrill-cast-1-april-2015

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 March, 2015, 06:10:54 PM
Looking forward to it. Kev's a lovely guy, and very funny, so hopefully he'll make up for that other guy, who can't even get his Betelgeusian phrases straight.

The whippings are the worst.

robert_ellis

Another cracking Podcast - shame it's going monthly but I'm just being greedy. Could it be combined with a general 2000ad/Meg podcast?