Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Yeah, this one has me floored, really.  This is a perfect representation of a hugely important era for me - my dad died that year, and I clung to 2000AD like a rock... I pored over every detail of Kev's artwork, and early Nemesis has remained one of my absolute favourite things to come out of 2000AD.  I decided to aim for a page this year - didn't expect it to happen so soon, but prices for the art Kev was selling through The Illustration Cupboard quietly dropped 25% for a couple of weeks a while back, so I just had to jump.  Might be the only page I pick up for a long time (er...) but it's an insanely lovely bit of work and I am so chuffed to have this.

Spikes

Superb, just superb -  I bet this is quite something to hold in your hands.
Huge mega congrats on this, David. O'Neills work is just out of this world. A unbelievable talent really. Those early Nemesis stories are cast-iron classics
Yes, i can well imagine you over the moon with this - who wouldnt be?  :thumbsup:

exilewood

That is just amazing. What a thing of beauty! Well done & congratulations.

Colin YNWA

Oh my giddy Aunt that is just beautiful, really beautiful. Well done (is that the right thing to say... oh well who cares!)... so errr ... like what was your address again...

Emperor

That really is fantastic, if I owned that I'd die happy.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Greg M.

One of the truly great covers - absolutely wonderful work, and I bet it's immeasurably more exciting (if that's even possible) 'in person'!

Frank

Great investment, Ming. I had a similar experience to you with the death of my Dad turning 2000ad from simple entertainment to something I immersed myself in completely, and the level of detail on that page offers enough to keep you occupied for years to come.

O'Neil's artistry is extraordinary; even the type of line he employs in the shading on the human skin is subtly different from that on the alien flesh (i), and look at the intricate detail, the different weights of line he employs in the interlaced curves of the billowing sulphur around the edges of the page. Every reflective surface, every creased line in material is rendered with the kind of maddening detail that's only possible when the artist knows exactly what purpose each serves in the image as a whole.

The way O'Neil introduces motifs taken from his character design as part of the costumes, weapons and vehicles; as part of the set dressing; in the strip's panel design and graphics; and even the landscapes in which Nemesis and Torquemada fought each other, brilliantly realised Pat Mills's attempt to show not just two characters in conflict but the clash of two inimicable totalising ideologies.

Congratulations again, Ming, you're obviously a man of wealth and taste.

(i) Terminators: short and curved, Nemesis:longer and straighter, except where the negative space between the solid blacks of the ribcage echo the intricate curves of the smoke and fire that frames the image, drawing the reader's eye up and out towards to the central thrust of the image- the arc formed by Nem's sword, pointed muzzle, and the 2000ad logo.

TordelBack

Incredible stuff David, one of my all-time favourite pieces of comics art.  I actually remember the thrill of buying that very issue (after the fact) in the basement of The Diceman on Grafton Street, Dublin, in the early 80's, I can only imagine the thrill of actually owning and holding that cover.  O'Neill is always a master of design, but the sheer brilliance of the razor-sharp linework on that piece... I bet he was a happy droid when he signed off on that one.  Well done, Sir, and well-deserved.

ming

Thanks, folks.  In no way was this bought as an investment; it's going up on the wall to be enjoyed, then will eventually pass along to the boys (they can decide for themselves who gets this and who gets the Cam Warlord cover when the time comes).  It's an honour to have such an iconic piece of artwork in the house, and this is made all the more special by the very strong personal association I formed with 2000AD from around this time, as well as rating early Nemesis above pretty much anything else before or since.  Anyway, as surrogate families go, I picked a good 'un.

J3D1

Get it framed lad, kick back and enjoy it!

J3D1

Thought I had a pic of them up on the wall, guess I was wrong:

Fatboydale

How the fook do i top that !!!!!....very nice , im going away to start up my time machine ...

[/quote]

Spikes

Quote from: J3D1 on 27 April, 2012, 03:05:54 PM

Great stuff, Paul. From what ive seen, 2000ad original art looks fantastic framed. Might have to go down that route myself, at some point.

Dr Feeley Good

For any fans of Harry Kipling (deceased) i have just listed the double page spread from the story "Mad Gods and Englishmen" from prog 1483 by Boo Cook on ebay !  item number...200751799739

Dr Feeley Good

Quote from: Judge Jack on 28 April, 2012, 12:06:44 PM
Quote from: J3D1 on 27 April, 2012, 03:05:54 PM

Great stuff, Paul. From what ive seen, 2000ad original art looks fantastic framed. Might have to go down that route myself, at some point.
These are the pages i have up at the moment on my lads wall........