Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van Dom

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 08 November, 2010, 07:52:11 PM
Because today both my boys went film club after school, meaning my wife and i had eight uninterrupted hours of peace, for the first time in seven and a half years.

We spent it lounging on the sofa in our pants, with coffee, chocolate biscuits, and some dvds. We watched Vault of Horror (amicus, tom baker) and just when it had finished the postman delivered Torture Garden (amicus, burgess meredith, peter cushing, jack palance) through the door, so we watched that. Then The Bat (vincent price), which was hilarious for all the right reasons, then wrapped up with Zombieland, which she'd not seen.

Then i picked the boys up and found they'd been watching Back To The Future on the big screen, and had loved it.

Then we ate pie.

Actually, this belongs in the Drokkin' Fantastic thread. What's happened to that?

SBT

Best. Day. Ever.

Can't wait til my kids are all old enough to go to film club (or any club) and I can do that!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Rog69

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 November, 2010, 09:37:19 PM
Quote from: Rog69 on 17 November, 2010, 01:11:19 PM
I just switched my energy supplier from those greedy twats at British gas and because I have been neglectful in the past when it comes to chasing the better tariffs, I now stand to save about £400 a year on my new one and I'm getting 12 bottles of wine from the switching web site too.
Holy shit! How much do you pay a year if you can save that much? That's my energy bill for about two years.

My last four quarterly bills for gas and electricity all combined came to just over £1400 on the standard British Gas tariffs.

TordelBack

Have just spent the past two days (and nights) teaching myself just enough Visual Basic to assemble a database app for 650 records with 60 fields each and c. 2,500 linked images (variable numbers for each record), to be runnable in Access 2000 from from a DVD or USB Flashdrive, easily updatable on a standalone PC, and used by County Council employees and interested members of the public, i.e. Big, Simple, But Utterly Idiot Proof.  

This may sound like a piece of piss to you smart techy types out there, but it was akin to bashing my brains out with an icicle.  I haven't done any programming for more than a decade, and then it was just using Pascal to write tools for miniCAD, and I've never used VB.  However, I've succeeded in writing and debugging all the individual functions and subroutines I need on an ancient Dell laptop (no Access 2000 for my Mac), got a workable table, and ugly forms and reports designed, and now I just have to put it all together and make it look pretty (and enter relative path information for all the images - gulp).  

The sense of pushing my own intellectual boundaries is actually worth the hours of miserable confusion, and hopefully it'll carry me through the drudgery to come.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 December, 2010, 02:33:36 PM
The sense of pushing my own intellectual boundaries is actually worth the hours of miserable confusion, and hopefully it'll carry me through the drudgery to come.
Glad to hear you got there. There's a definite sense of achievement to be had with something like this. If you need any help or even just a review of it, feel free to message me.

You shouldn't need to manually enter the file paths.
We never really die.

Kerrin

Well done TB. I feel that I've pushed my intellectual boundaries by reading your post and understanding a good 60% of it. Better have a lie down.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 05 December, 2010, 02:38:13 PM
You shouldn't need to manually enter the file paths.

I had thought I'd be able to automate it, but unfortunately the client is (tomorrow) supplying a disc of images sized/formatted to their specs, and having seen the file structure they've used... it's about 600 individually named folders which don't necessarily correspond to an individual Record, each containing from none to 12 photos inside, all named with no convention in mind (e.g. "Sign at side of road.jpg").   You'll be amused that they wanted each photo to be a minimum of 3MB - hopefully I've convinced them that that's insanity.  I need to present all the photos relating to each Record in a prinatble report (I wince every time I think of what that is going to do to the laptop's memory), as well as selecting relevant pictures to be clickable thumbnails on the form (that's the bit of VB that wrecked my head: multiple images, all linked, all relative paths, some clickable for display in the end-user's unspecified default viewer). At this point my mind rebels at how complicated harvesting that info automatically would be - just using the form to enter it seems preferable, even though I know I should push on and work it out.  My deadline is Tuesday, and I can't take the risk of getting nowhere.

I've worked out how to make the links in the Image Control paths relative to the location of the database so that it'll run anywhere, but I've used a table structure that allows functions on the form to build a relative file path out of strFolder, strImageName1, StrImageName2, etc.  (I stopped short of using a borrowed code module that allowed file location browsing rather than typing in a name because the prospect of users blindly linking stuff from all over was too awful to contemplate).

It's a horrid, poorly thought-out brief that I'm unqualified to fulfill, but it's only part of a much bigger non-techy project and I can't turn down the work! 

maryanddavid

TordelBack

Yes, apologies, unacceptable thread drift.  However, let it be known that The Cosh has already messaged me with the solution to my main problem like the true gent  he is, and now life is better than okay.

maryanddavid

Nah tread drift is good, its not often I dont have a clue what I have just read though!
David

staticgirl

What worries me that despite not knowing any programming languages I understood a little bit of that.

Dandontdare

Our most demanding (read: pain-in-the-arse) corporate clients have just sent everybody on the team a £75 voucher for all our work during the year. Woo hoo! Only downside is that I have to visit the Hell on Earth that is the Trafford Centre to spend it.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 December, 2010, 02:34:25 PM
Our most demanding (read: pain-in-the-arse) corporate clients have just sent everybody on the team a £75 voucher for all our work during the year. Woo hoo! Only downside is that I have to visit the Hell on Earth that is the Trafford Centre to spend it.

See if you can exchange it with someone you know for cash or give it to charity

I would try anything rather than experience that again as once was enough.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

...it's Friday, which means I have emerged from another week a frayed and spindled wreck, but still undefeated, albeit on a technicality.  One more quote to do, and then I'm out of here 'til Sunday.  Hurrah!

Tiplodocus

I think I've finished the Christmas shopping and posting.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Cyberleader2000

I found out that my 3rd favorit game series(Dynasty Warriors Gundam) has relased its 3rd game in japan back in december and it usichily takes about 5 months befor it gets relased in the uk theres no relases date yet but I heard it has been confirmed for a uk relases.
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime