Main Menu

No Shock Doctrine for Haiti

Started by mygrimmbrother, 17 January, 2010, 01:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

Please check out this facebook group, and if you feel so inclined, join it. Hopefully it will lead to something more - even if it's just writing to your local MP to express your opinion.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=292737727221&ref=mf

JOE SOAP

mygrimmbrother

Dandontdare

Some of the evil shite coming out of the American right is really making my blood boil. Rush Limbaugh is saying Americans shouldn't donate one cent in aid as it's all some kind conspiracy on Obama's part to divert tax money to black people; and "man of God" Pat Robertson says it's all their own fault - apparently God's just getting his own back because the Haitians made a deal with the devil to overthrow slavery in the early nineteenth century.

Peter Wolf

I have no idea why anyone would listen to Morons like Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh.

Anyway more US intervention/occupation just has to be good for Haiti and the UN and the US have been up to no good in Haiti before and after the democratically elected Aristide was abducted by US/canadian forces in 2004.I very much doubt that the huge US military operation on its way to Haiti is a Humanitarian operation.

Of course this incident is the perfect pretext for more exploitation of the Haitian people by the UN and the IMF/World Bank.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

House of Usher

Okay, I'm not very interested in being suspicious of the UN and condemning all its work, but I would like to know more about how the UN wants to exploit the poor people of the world, and in this instance Haiti. Thanks.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: House of Usher on 17 January, 2010, 08:33:20 PM
Okay, I'm not very interested in being suspicious of the UN and condemning all its work, but I would like to know more about how the UN wants to exploit the poor people of the world, and in this instance Haiti. Thanks.

The lizard people find Haitian blood to have pleasing, robust undertones of honey and strawberries.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 17 January, 2010, 08:33:20 PM

2hr long film  about the UN and political situation in Haiti :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7903623001730810789&hl=en#

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

mygrimmbrother

HOU - if you don't fancy a 2 hour film (which I'm sure is very informative Peter), read these 2 articles:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion/517494/
(Or how the IMF are fucking the people of Haiti over AGAIN)

And:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=17000
(Or how the US aid effort is being co-ordinated by the Pentagon and looks suspiciously like an invasion)

None of this is conspiracy theory bollocks, disaster capitalism is well-documented.

House of Usher

Well that's the IMF. There's no mention of the UN in either article. What's the UN's role in wringing out developing countries?
STRIKE !!!

vzzbux

Whether or not you like the US sending in troops, at the moment the country need all the help it can get. Like it or not the death toll will rapidly increase if something is not done quickly.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

mygrimmbrother

I never mentioned the UN. Over to Peter..?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: vzzbux on 17 January, 2010, 09:44:44 PM
Whether or not you like the US sending in troops, at the moment the country need all the help it can get. Like it or not the death toll will rapidly increase if something is not done quickly.

That's very true but you have to be mindful of the fact that the reason Haiti is incapable of responding to the disaster any way constructively is not solely the earthquake but the fact that the US has screwed the country's democratic and economic development since colonial times. It's at times such as these that private interests seek more advantage, the UN is charged with the task of making sure that doesn't happen as well as saving lives.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Aid is power when people are desperate. Whoever controls the Aid controls the power.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

TordelBack

Quote from: Garageman on 17 January, 2010, 10:10:07 PM
That's very true but you have to be mindful of the fact that the reason Haiti is incapable of responding to the disaster any way constructively is not solely the earthquake but the fact that the US has screwed the country's democratic and economic development since colonial times. It's at times such as these that private interests seek more advantage, the UN is charged with the task of making sure that doesn't happen as well as saving lives.

No arguments with any of this, the simplification of all disasters (especially famine) to "natural" disasters is an old depressing chestnut, but the immediacy of the need here does seem to override considerations that are best appreciated by living people.  It is down to the rest of the world to see that this isn't used as a pretext for taking advantage, but in the short term any troops on the ground have to be better than none.  If anything it's an argument for a much stronger UN.