Main Menu

Dredd's future, how about the next 10 years of it? And the passage of time.

Started by PsychoGoatee, 26 September, 2014, 02:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Haven't seen a lot of general topics about storyline and speculation lately. Years back there was a lot of talk about the end of Joe Dredd, how to handle the end of the saga, and stuff like that.

I love the strip as is and even with aging and a real time timeline with consequences, I'm okay with having Dredd be active into very advanced years. Lately there seems to be less talk about Dredd stepping down or being killed off, which is fine with me. But interesting.

In general, where do you think the story is taking Dredd? Will his titular strip still be going more or less as it is now in 10 years? We do like the idea of time passing and Judge Dredd being very different from other comics, but do we still like that if it means we won't have this anymore, and maybe not that long from now? Not to get all existential with it, but hey.  :P

And if they do choose to continue the comic without Judge Dredd being in it, would they change the name of the strip? And would this massively lower the marketability and appeal of the book?

Anderson doesn't seem to be aging all that much considering it's been 34 years since her debut. I don't mind this either, I don't think we need to put a strict time limit on the potential of some storytelling, but it is kind of part of the book's credibility in a way. And if Dredd himself ends up being semi-immortal thanks to sci-fi treatments and whatnot, would it hurt the book? How many decades would it take for us to notice he's kind of immortal? ;) That said, I'm happy it's lasted so long, and with original creators still on board too, and I'm in no rush to see the end. But you gotta wonder...

Long story short, where do you see this strip in 10 years?

amines2058

Perhaps we can do a Thor on old Joe to allow us to introduce Joan Dredd to the strip??
Otherwise aside from a clone style mega-epic re-invention (Judge Kraken  without the evil) perhaps he should go out gracefully whilst developing a new lead character to fill his very tight boots?   :-*

DarkDaysBish-OP

Perhaps the Justice Department's dirty little secret is covertly using Stookie glands to keep its best Judges on the streets, but calling them Re-Juve treatments...?

amines2058

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 26 September, 2014, 06:30:50 AM
Perhaps the Justice Department's dirty little secret is covertly using Stookie glands to keep its best Judges on the streets, but calling them Re-Juve treatments...?

Ooh yes that could work, although unfortunately with Joe having the face of a 50-70 year old he needs to be taking a bit more. On the other hand I think we need to make sure Anderson does not OD as she is one of the youngest looking 50+ years old I have seen! :D

Frank

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 26 September, 2014, 02:18:57 AM
Long story short, where do you see this strip in 10 years?

The best option would be Wagner writing the character's death scene as his final strip before retirement, but that obviously isn't going to happen. Even if Rico, a character identical to Dredd and around the same age as Dredd was in prog 1, assumed the mantle and decided to change his name to Dredd in tribute to the old feller, everyone would still say it wasn't the same and the first time the strip hit the doldrums there would be calls for the return of the original Dredd.

Editorial would eventually relent and come up with a solution as half-assed as the original Dredd being caught in a net, or brought back to life by sorcerers.

PsychoGoatee

And while the big question is always a fun topic, I'm also curious other than Dredd what can really significantly change in the series. Some policies change, various amounts of civilization gets blown up, etc. Largely it's the same status quo over the years. A playground to write sci-fi and crime stories, which is a great thing.

If Wagner does retire Dredd or kill him off, I'd love it if the comic was still titled Judge Dredd. Though his absence might confuse new readers, it'd still be the same series technically. But I don't see that happening in the next decade, or possibly ever. It seems he'll be around and kicking ass for as long as conceivably possible. Though it would be something to see Dredd's whole career covered by Wagner, I get the impression he wants to leave Dredd there for new writers.

Judge Dredd has only been around for 15 years less than Spider-Man, nearing 40 years of Dredd. I'm not in any hurry to see it end, and I can understand them keeping Joe around. It's incredible that they've kept it fresh, Wagner especially, it's an epic achievement. I just wonder where they'll take it in the foreseeable future, probably nowhere really drastically different. Not that I'm complaining, as it is one of the best books ever.

I guess this kind of topic looking at the wider scope of a series can miss some of the point, when it's mostly about telling lots of great stories along the way in this setting. But it is also fun to speculate on where it'll go and how things really changing would effect the book.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 26 September, 2014, 07:24:19 AM
Largely it's the same status quo over the years. A playground to write sci-fi and crime stories, which is a great thing.

I dunno, that's a pretty broad definition of "the status quo" if you're taking it to mean 'after forty years, it's still a science fiction strip'.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Anzati

So what if Dredd was infected by something similar to the nanite thingamebob from the California Babylon storyline of a few years ago? Seems there are already plenty of in universe creations that could keep Dredd going indefinitely :)

Richard

That would make him indestructible, which would remove any peril from the stories.

The editors won't retire Dredd, and Wagner has already ruled out replacing him with Rico II. But he's already in his 70s, and saying "70 is the new 40" won't work when he's 80. Sooner or later they are going to have to address this. And Dredd wouldn't take Stookie (already mentioned in "Giant", so Wagner has already considered that one).

My preference would be for a solution that has been around for decades, i.e. From an early story, rather than something thrown together at the last minute. Such as the biochips from "The Judge Child" and recently re-used in "The Simping Detective."

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richard on 26 September, 2014, 10:57:50 AM
That would make him indestructible, which would remove any peril from the stories.

The editors won't retire Dredd, and Wagner has already ruled out replacing him with Rico II. But he's already in his 70s, and saying "70 is the new 40" won't work when he's 80. Sooner or later they are going to have to address this.

Citizen lifespan has an optimum of about 150 so I'd say the age issue could be put on the long finger for another 20 years or so.

QuoteMy preference would be for a solution that has been around for decades, i.e. From an early story, rather than something thrown together at the last minute. Such as the biochips from "The Judge Child" and recently re-used in "The Simping Detective."

Which is also an idea that diminishes the character and makes him relatively 'indestructible'.

Anzati

I'd like to see the age issue resolved with something like Dredd on his death bed and being bought back against his will, by a method that he really wouldn't like. Something that could have a far reaching impact and further grow Dredd's character in new directions...but that kind of sounds like something from a bad fanfic...I'm sure the droids could do something fantastic with this though :lol: That hasn't been done has it? There is a huge gap between Judgement Day and Prog 1700 that I haven't read  :(

Steve Green

Murd the Oppressor killed him and brought him back to life in the Judge Child quest...

Dredd's also been a zombie, (and cured), as well as a werewolf (and cured)

Given the history of the character, that he's old and still active isn't the most unusual thing about the character.

The Adventurer

Its somewhat unfortunate that by virtue of the series's longevity, marketing value, and title Joe Dredd has quite a bit of plot-armor from a final fate (barring cancellation of 2000 AD at some point the future, and having a fire sale on all long running strip characters just for closure). I too love the fact that Judge Dredd is 'real time' and old man Dredd is easily my favorite Dredd from any era.

Personally I see several viable options.

One, Dredd just never dies. Hand wave with all the future super science. Its just sometimes what you have to do when you've got a corporate property that's popular and valuable.

Two, Rico takes over strip and main character name. This felt more likely 5 or 6 years ago. It feels like that ship might have sailed now though.

Three, at some point put Dredd's Brain in Rico's body. See choice One.

Four, at some point put Dredd's brain in Judge Beeny's body. Because how amazing would that be?!

Five, and I feel this one has a more realistic shot in the ultra long term. Start a second companion strip to Judge Dredd. Call it 'Mega-City Justice' or similar. Have it star all the 'young' characters we've got laying around. Beeny, Rico, Giant, Dolman, etc... and build up a weekly series around a group of Judges. Only without Dredd around to save the day every time. Then... at some point kill/retire Judge Dredd the strip and let this one naturally take its place. If it doesn't take, bring Judge Dredd back. Wouldn't be the first time.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dominic O'Rourke

We always say that it's not Dredd, but Mega City 1 that is the main character of the series. How about we just kill MC1 and have a final scene of Dredd in the ashes.

Next week. Mega City 1.1
Member No. 10

Steve Green

Day of Chaos did a pretty good job of that, but it didn't really take.

I wonder if, with hindsight John wouldn't have gone the real-time route, or he thinks it marks Dredd out as different, and is worth the question of longevity.