Main Menu

Exclusive first look at Simon Bisley's art on new Joe Pineapples series

Started by sheridan, 14 February, 2018, 05:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Fungus

I expected garish colour  :)
Last Bisley I read (Horned God re-re-packaging assumed) was '13 Coins' and enjoyed his mad, distinctive style. Story was abysmal, unfortunately.

James Stacey

Link Prime

Quote from: James Stacey on 15 February, 2018, 01:29:21 PM
The world really has moved on but Bisley hasn't  :lol:

Just the way I like it.

Would have preferred if Biz broke out the Bic biros for a monochrome redux, but this looks tasty enough as it is.

Colin YNWA

Yeah this is defo the way I feel about this. Still it will be pretty exciting when it lands.

Woolly

Neither has Brian Bolland, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Personally I think it looks fantastic, can't wait to (finally) see this in the prog  :thumbsup:

rogue69

As he has been working on this for a few years now don't be surprised if we don't get the finish story for another couple of years

Colin YNWA

Quote from: rogue69 on 03 March, 2018, 12:27:18 AM
As he has been working on this for a few years now don't be surprised if we don't get the finish story for another couple of years

I think, but I could be wrong, that he's been waiting to start it for an age but didn't he say in the Podcast interview it'd only just got to the top of the pile?

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 March, 2018, 07:57:22 AM

I think, but I could be wrong, that he's been waiting to start it for an age but didn't he say in the Podcast interview it'd only just got to the top of the pile?

I've not heard that the Biz is a particularly slow worker?  He managed to get three books of The Horned God, plus Judgement on Gotham out in a relatively short space of time (it'd be unfair to say in relation to what or whom).

TordelBack

Cranked out a fair few issues (not to mention covers) of Hellblazer on time too. 

Magnetica

I think Colin is right. I also heard a podcast where he said the issue was finding the time to start it, but once he starts it he expects to get it done.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2018, 10:47:55 AM
Cranked out a fair few issues (not to mention covers) of Hellblazer on time too. 

Don't remember the Hellblazer work - his covers put Doom Patrol on my radar though.  Plus The Last Czarnian and Lobo's Back.

JayzusB.Christ

You may be mixing him up with Glenn Fabry, who although is objectively amazing, allegedly paints at a glacial pace.

Also I would disagree that Bisley hasn't changed; compare his Book of Scars Sláine to his original Horned God.  To be honest I prefer the older stuff (Horned God book 2 and the start of book 3 being his absolute peak) but I still think he's brilliant and can't wait for this series.  Hard to believe he's back doing Joe Pineapples - I was a child the last time round!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 June, 2018, 11:39:11 AM
Also I would disagree that Bisley hasn't changed; compare his Book of Scars Sláine to his original Horned God.  To be honest I prefer the older stuff (Horned God book 2 and the start of book 3 being his absolute peak)...

I prefer the earlier Horned God stuff over the later parts, but I thought his Book of Scars work was cool. I fully accept how revolutionary and truly exciting the style of his ABC Warriors and Slaine were at the time, but after that early burst of originality he developed into a more competent, consistent storyteller, although ultimately less spectacular than his original trajectory might have suggested.  I'm happy to see his work any day, but I shy away from think of it as an 'event'. 

Maybe it's a bit like how I'd prefer a Cliff Robinson or Chris Weston cover to a Bolland one: nothing wrong with Bolland (except those bloody gloves he draws as painted hands), but the idea of it being something special rather than standing on its own merits as a cover annoys me.

JayzusB.Christ

It's rare I disagree with you, Tordels, but for me this is a bit of an event, at least in personal terms.  Bisley's original work in the prog was a big part of my childhood, and the fact that he's back doing strips again* after a gap of 25 or so years gives me a bit of a nostalgia-fuelled thrill, in almost the same way I think I'd feel if Alan Moore were to return to write a one-off (two chances of that, I know).

*Book of Scars notwithstanding - loved that Bisley was back painting Sláine; hate that Pat Mills keeps changing Sláine's history and diluting the impact of classic stories in the process.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"