Main Menu

What's your "ultimate" comic strip then...

Started by Gonk, 01 March, 2012, 02:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

...because I've noticed such a difference of opinion over strips, from: "it's really cool", to: "it's really crap".

So I would like to know what you members of this forum would consider to be the ultimate comic strip. Which one is it that you think is the best due to artwork, story, and presentation. Which one makes you think "this is what comic strips are about, this is what comic strips should be doing."?

In short, which one is it that makes you think all the others' are only inaccurate approximations of your ideal/ultimate comic strip?
coming at a cinema near you soon

TordelBack

Do you mean individual episode, story or title?

'Cos I have different answers for all those!

Gonk

We'll leave it fairly openended. Just state your reasons behind your choices.

SmallBlueThing

The Walking Dead, Spider-Man (esp when drawn by ditko, romita or romita jnr), Slaine and Charley's War for me. Obviously within those, there are ups and downs, but on the whole those are my ideal strips. As for why- sorry, have to go to work now!

SBT

Richmond Clements

The Ragnarok Job and Rage.
Also Nemesis books 1 and 2, which are as good as comics ever get.

Gonk

Because they're good?

What is it that makes Spiderman better than Batman? Or Books 1 and 2 of Nemesis better than 3, or any other comics? I'm genuinely curious. Is there such a comic that exsists which can be held up as an example of definitive comic strip making?

Greg M.

Bad Company, particularly Bad Company II. Amazing character designs and an incredible cast - even minor characters who survive only a few episodes (Joe Scummer, Stitches) are immediately striking and original in their appearance. Glorious art throughout and superb characterisation, along with some of the sharpest and most memorable dialogue you'll ever read.  All this, along with individual moments that'll stay with me forever – drunk on mud, the secret of the Black Box, Thrax and Wallbanger's theological conversation on the brink of destruction, De Racine's death, the way Kano disposes of his "brother" Krool, and of course "And now I know who I am." For me, these elements make it the 'perfect' comic strip.

mygrimmbrother

BPRD written by John Arcudi, drawn by Guy Davis and coloured by Dave Stewart with covers by Mignola = comics perfection.

Gonk

Gonk

Ancient Otter

Akira - it got me reading comics as an adult. It's got great art and the plot and the character development are well done. The way the story escalates so much, building to such an epic finale. It's fantastic!

Link Prime

'Heart of Empire' by Bryan Talbot. I collected it in single issue form, and literally couldn't wait each month for the next instalment.
I don't think theres a single comic story I've re-read more times.

As many of you will agree, the Talbot Droid is an incomparable artist, and a damn fine writer to boot.
So to answer your original query: it's got to be a perfect storm of great writing, great art and a story that appeals to your (individual) tastes. In absolutely equal proportion.

Gonk

Seems to be down to individual taste.
I just wondered if there exists a comic strip that could be said to hold the standard by which all others' could be compared to. The "ultimate" in the comic book art medium, that pushed and defined the laws of comic strip making. 

Colin YNWA

Quote from: fonky on 02 March, 2012, 06:54:20 AM
Seems to be down to individual taste.
I just wondered if there exists a comic strip that could be said to hold the standard by which all others' could be compared to. The "ultimate" in the comic book art medium, that pushed and defined the laws of comic strip making.

Yeah of course its individual taste.

I'd strongly suggest that there is no 'ultimate' form of any medium. Any art form should be and is so diverse, as peoples needs from it and reactions to it, are so different that such a thing is near impossible.