Main Menu

June Previews, for August shipping

Started by Grant Goggans, 02 June, 2009, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Taylor

Quote from: "Dash Decent"All this talk about 'bears' and 'woods' reminds me of the old familiar saying.

If only I could work out what role is left for Red Razors to play in the analogy...! ;)

Bears don't use toilet paper.

The Monarch

Is there previews for september yet?

Grant Goggans

Comic shops have received them but the site I use hasn't posted them yet.

Colin YNWA

Out of interest Grant has the distribution problems you've been experiencing in the US got any better have the Progs turned up? I'm consious that San Deigo is not far away and if 2000ad is trying to push the Galaxy's Greatest in the US this would need sorting.

Grant Goggans

They're said to have gotten a little better.  Unfortunately I haven't been to Athens to buy comics in a few weeks so I can't confirm what my shop has received, but Criminal here in Atlanta got progs 1629-1635 in one go last week.  That's still nowhere near where we used to be - we've historically been two weeks behind the UK - and there's still been no sign of progs 1627-28, which I went ahead and bought from Clickwheel.

Grant Goggans

Well, my own shop got... another copy of 1617, 1629-1633, 1635 and 1637 last week, along with the latest two Megs.

It's like they've devolved into monkeys at that Diamond warehouse, isn't it?

sebastianhope

I live in the US, and I want to read 2000AD, but apparently Diamond doesn't think I want it enough. I haven't seen a prog since 1633.

According to Diamond's website, they shipped the June 2009 Pack, but my store didn't get it. I don't even know what progs would be in there. I have resigned myself to never reading an entire story, but still ... it's been something like 2-3 months.

I can't believe the issue weren't printed or shipped to Diamond. Why would Rebellion not send them to the US distributor? They must have. I imagine there's this huge pile of 2000AD somewhere in a warehouse, just sitting there. Wouldn't they make more money sending them to stores that already ordered them?

What's worse, I was in another store in town that I don't usually go to, and they had 1635-1637 sitting on the shelf. I almost bought them, but worried my regular store would get them this week. Of course, they didn't. My store even showed me their order forms to prove they ordered it.

Anyway, enough whining. Maybe the US Customs has some sort of Thrill Power Limit that has been exceeded.

Grant Goggans

Sebastian, it's not just 2000 AD, it's everything everywhere.  I don't have the time to discuss it at length, but I've visited some awesome, huge comic shops in Toronto and Boston this week, and every one of them has had a complaint.  Hub Comics in Boston didn't get the freaking Darwyn Cooke "Parker" book, for heaven's sake.  But they DID have one of the two progs that we did not get in Atlanta/Athens.

You may have to buy the prog you missed from Clickwheel.

sebastianhope

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 25 July, 2009, 01:51:43 PMYou may have to buy the prog you missed from Clickwheel.

Even though it goes against my ingrained collector mentality, I think I'll have to do that.

I never noticed it, but my story didn't get Parker either ... at least it's not an anti-2000ad bias, it's just that Diamond isn't very good.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 29 June, 2009, 11:21:01 AM

It's like they've devolved into monkeys at that Diamond warehouse, isn't it?

Man this is so rubbish. Stores don't like Diamond from all the information I read and they clearly aren't doing a good job serving certain sections of the publishing community and yet because they have been allowed to have a monopoly for so long there's nowt to be done about it.

I wonder if any organisation is in a position where they feel they could challenge Diamond surely there's a market for it? Unless the expense of setting up such a venture is seen as a dead end at a time were everyone is looking to a digital future?

Trout

Which brings to mind a question.

Why does Diamond has a monopoly?

The Adventurer

Quote from: King Trout on 26 July, 2009, 11:57:13 AM

Because they are the biggest dog in town, especially with Marvel/DC/Image/Dark Horse all with exclusive contracts going through them

Fortunately, the aren't the only Dog in town. And I honestly think Rebellion could do us Yanks a service by going through Haven as a back up, as things continue to go down the toilet with Diamond in terms of minimum sales.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

satchmo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 26 July, 2009, 08:57:44 PM
Quote from: King Trout on 26 July, 2009, 11:57:13 AM

Because they are the biggest dog in town, especially with Marvel/DC/Image/Dark Horse all with exclusive contracts going through them

Fortunately, the aren't the only Dog in town. And I honestly think Rebellion could do us Yanks a service by going through Haven as a back up, as things continue to go down the toilet with Diamond in terms of minimum sales.

And they became the biggest dog in town following Marvel's catastrophic attempt to distribute it's own comics in the mid 90s...

http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg129.html