Main Menu

Prog 2092 - The Death of Death?

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 July, 2018, 08:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Deadworld makes me wonder a bit if we're seeing 'our' Deadworld or an alternate take on the backstory. Either way, I will admit to being a bit hmmm about the strip for the first time on seeing that conclusion. I liked the claustrophobic and contained nature of its horror, and am not convinced about opening it up to the 'Sovs' of that world. Still, it remains intriguing, creepy and often horrific.

gameluvah

Quote from: Frank on 31 July, 2018, 11:01:31 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 31 July, 2018, 10:40:22 PM
I'd like for some of these Dead-ites to make it somewhere safe via D-Jump and into Dredd.

Four of them definitely do so.

[spoiler]Are you sure about that? I'm starting to think this might be an alternate universe to the Dark Judges we all ready know about. Like an alternate to the alternate.[/spoiler]

gameluvah

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 August, 2018, 11:36:32 AM
Deadworld makes me wonder a bit if we're seeing 'our' Deadworld or an alternate take on the backstory. Either way, I will admit to being a bit hmmm about the strip for the first time on seeing that conclusion. I liked the claustrophobic and contained nature of its horror, and am not convinced about opening it up to the 'Sovs' of that world. Still, it remains intriguing, creepy and often horrific.

Great minds think alike? I posted the same conclusion right after you did...lol.

dweezil2

How bloody good is that Manco Dredd art?!!! :o

You can keep him on Thargy boy!!!  :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Frank

Quote from: gameluvah on 01 August, 2018, 11:41:48 AM
I'm starting to think this might be an alternate universe to the Dark Judges we all ready know about. Like an alternate to the alternate.

Tharg's PA objected to the suggestion that Dreams Of Deadworld * existed outside established Dredd continuity.

I suppose he or the creators can change their mind about that any time they want. Perhaps the main series is a different proposition, or maybe The Mighty Plus-One was just making the point that nothing they'd published at that point contradicted the established facts of the fictional world.

Red Razors spetsnaz squad, eh?  Once again, Mr Millar, what was briefly yours is now mine.

* Four issue precursor to Tainted, Cursed & Damned

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 August, 2018, 11:36:32 AM
I liked the claustrophobic and contained nature of its horror, and am not convinced about opening it up to the 'Sovs' of that world. Still, it remains intriguing, creepy and often horrific.

I really liked the introduction of other world powers.  Other mega-cities not taking advantage of turmoil has been noticeably absent up to this point.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: sheridan on 01 August, 2018, 12:49:23 PMI really liked the introduction of other world powers.  Other mega-cities not taking advantage of turmoil has been noticeably absent up to this point.
I think I'd always imagined they'd screwed the entire planet by this point (all the bees dying, and so on), rather than just (presumably) their equivalent of North America. But, as I said, I liked the strip's relatively claustrophobic and focussed nature. Much like in Walking Dead, I don't really need to know what's going on in Russia.

Magnetica

I don't want Deadworld to have some cop out ending; so not sure about the way this thread is going: if it's an alternative alternative world Kek-W can just do whatever he wants. Surely the whole point was this is how The Deadworld "our" Judge Death is from ended up the way we saw it in Judge Death Lives.

If not, then for me it loses some of its resonance.

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 August, 2018, 01:05:50 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 01 August, 2018, 12:49:23 PMI really liked the introduction of other world powers.  Other mega-cities not taking advantage of turmoil has been noticeably absent up to this point.
I think I'd always imagined they'd screwed the entire planet by this point (all the bees dying, and so on), rather than just (presumably) their equivalent of North America. But, as I said, I liked the strip's relatively claustrophobic and focussed nature. Much like in Walking Dead, I don't really need to know what's going on in Russia.

The setup was already done in Part V (Prog 2085) page 3.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Geoff

Just read last week's prog and this week's, one after the other...

What really stands out to me is the art on Dredd. Superb. Last week's episode had some anachronisms but this week's seems more in step with Dredd's time. More from this droid please!  The story seemed a bit tired to begin with but the ending this week is intriguing.

Grey Area is not as engaging as it was, but enjoyable and clearly well-written and drawn.  Resting B-F and her eccentric clothing will be sorely missed. I find Deadworld quite confusing but it's so messed up that I can't help enjoying it.

The rest is pretty poor...the Order is incomprehensible nonsense and I get the feeling that even if I could make sense of it, it wouldn't interest me. Wyrms....good grief! The terror tale was rudimentary, both the story and the art I thought. I know many like Hitchcock's art, I'm afraid it looks rather basic to me. Karl Richardson's excellent art on the other hand is sadly wasted on that robot computer game of a strip.

A could do better for Tharg - but more Manco please! 

IndigoPrime

Quote from: broodblik on 01 August, 2018, 01:53:40 PMThe setup was already done in Part V (Prog 2085) page 3.
Yep, but the general point remains. I'm not sure widening the story in this way will work. Perhaps it will. I'm happy to see where it goes, though, because it's been my favourite thing in 2000 AD for a good long while.

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 August, 2018, 02:03:46 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 01 August, 2018, 01:53:40 PMThe setup was already done in Part V (Prog 2085) page 3.
Yep, but the general point remains. I'm not sure widening the story in this way will work. Perhaps it will. I'm happy to see where it goes, though, because it's been my favourite thing in 2000 AD for a good long while.

Adding to this is that Kek-W has already added so many characters that I sometimes do get lost in translation. Now we add some the Red to the mix and we drift further into abyss  :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 August, 2018, 01:41:21 PM
I don't want Deadworld to have some cop out ending; so not sure about the way this thread is going: if it's an alternative alternative world Kek-W can just do whatever he wants. Surely the whole point was this is how The Deadworld "our" Judge Death is from ended up the way we saw it in Judge Death Lives.

If not, then for me it loses some of its resonance.

Where for me that was the first interesting thing to happen in Deadwood since the Indian's head was put in the box.... or D'erth rode a kid's tricycle, take yers pick.
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

I don't watch Deadwood so that reference is kinda lost on me.

Put in another way. The Star Trek mirror universe is interesting...up to a point.
But if there was a story you thought was set in that universe only to find out it was set in Mirror Universe #679 then I might start to care a bit less.

And when I say a bit, I mean a lot.

(But if that story was called Zenith...well that's perfectly fine, thanks very much).

Proudhuff

I know what you mean, infinite possibilities can be intriguing but at the same time its the constraints that sometimes bring out the best... IMHO that's why Mrs Mills laddie does better work with a strong editor who rubs him up the wrong way... but that's for another pub debate!
DDT did a job on me