Main Menu

ICE BIRMINGHAM 2018 - Official Thread

Started by ICE COMICON, 15 August, 2018, 08:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICE COMICON

We are very happy to be bringing a wealth of 2000ad and Megazine creators to the event this year.

These include:

John Wagner
Carlos Ezquerra
David Raoch
Phil Winslade
Dan Cornwell
Ian Edginton

and a few more we have yet to announce.

Tickets and info available at: www.internationlcomicexpo.wordpress.com

Happy to answer any questions on here, or via email at: smallzone.events@gmial.com

sheridan

Good to see a comic convention which has guests who actually write and draw comics (as opposed to TV and film actors, and people cosplaying characters from anime - all things I like, but not when that's all that's available).

Anyway - rant over, good luck with the con!

Bolt-01

Ah, this is the weekend micro-bolt goes to University so I'll not be around (gig is the 15th sept)

Shame as it is a good line-up.

hippynumber1

I'd just like to say that I've been to Birmingham ICE every year since it began and it is an amazing con. Small, friendly, brilliantly run by Shane (and co) and always plenty of time to chat to creators while they work; long may it continue.

Spikes

What Hippy said.

Couldn't attend last year, but will be going to this one. Mightily looking forward to it.

hippynumber1

...but, in spite of being the best con around, and non-profit at that, Birmingham ICE is in danger of not running next year. This would be a terrible shame so, please, donate whatever you can to help keep it around. Even if you've never been, the more 'proper' comic conventions the better. Even a minimum donation will help...

https://www.gofundme.com/help-ice-keep-going-another-year

Steve Green

I've donated, but...

This weekend there's a con in Inverness, Next weekend you've got NICE (after taking a year break), a St Albans Con, and the Sniper Elite signing.

ICE two weeks after that, and TB the week after ICE.

LSCC seems to be already dead.

Then you've got the lakes mid October.

People bitch about real cons vs Showmasters and MCM, but if the 'real' comic cons are all fighting for the same space in the same 8 weeks then something's going to have to give.

People only have finite funds, and creators time to attend.

Tjm86

It's not just the timing but also the geography of it.  LawCon and Birmingham have both been that rare thing for me, somewhere accessible from here in South Wales.  GeekedFest in Ponty was a particular treat and it was a shame that the Newport one ended up cancelled.  London is a major expense in both time and money and most of the East Coast a logistical nightmare (having family in Suffolk and Sheffield tends to bring home the absolute abortion that is transport infrastructure in the UK).

hippynumber1

Quote from: Tjm86 on 25 August, 2018, 01:34:12 PM
It's not just the timing but also the geography of it.  LawCon and Birmingham have both been that rare thing for me, somewhere accessible from here in South Wales.  GeekedFest in Ponty was a particular treat and it was a shame that the Newport one ended up cancelled.  London is a major expense in both time and money and most of the East Coast a logistical nightmare (having family in Suffolk and Sheffield tends to bring home the absolute abortion that is transport infrastructure in the UK).

I've never understood why we don't get more big cons here in the middle given, as you say, the relative ease of getting here from everywhere in the country over, say, London.

Steve Green

Well, there are generally only the media cons like LFCC and MCM in London anyway.

Guess venues are too expensive for ones which aren't fleecing punters for photos and autographs.

BICS used to be pretty good, and yeah I agree that Birmingham is a good central place for English cons at least.

hippynumber1

I agree that the timing is shocking; why are they all bunched-up together like that?

ICE COMICON

We've always been around that time of year. Why other events moved into September knowing we are in September I cannot say as Only they know their reasons.

Yes many happy memories of running BICS. It was so easy back then when it was just us and Bristol, with Thought bubble not long after us. :-)

We will always be 100% about comics and always be international with a British focus.

And we will ALWAYS invite 200oad creators to ICE.

Will be nice to see some of you guys there on the 15th. Please feel free to come and say "hi" :-)

ICE COMICON

Quote from: sheridan on 16 August, 2018, 01:13:17 PM
Good to see a comic convention which has guests who actually write and draw comics (as opposed to TV and film actors, and people cosplaying characters from anime - all things I like, but not when that's all that's available).

Anyway - rant over, good luck with the con!

And unlike those media shows we give free access to our guests... no hidden charges.

David Broughton

Hi Everyone, I'll be there too launching my new independent/small press book Slaughter Hawk, which comes in its own collectors bag with a free gift A3 poster(see pic) with every book.

There is a daily Slaughter Hawk digital Ashcan being posted every day up to the 15th Sept here: http://dbroughton.blogspot.com/2018/08/slaughter-hawk-prelude-digital-ashcan_31.html

I'll also have copies of Shaman Kane books 1, 2 & 3, Detective Gallo and Spectre Show...not to forget lots of Hand Drawn 2000AD artwork for sale. Come over and say hello  :D You can find me by looking for the Slaughter Hawk banner (see pic below).  All the best!

Old Tankie

Three days out, and my health is holding up, could well be my first ever comic con.