Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Satanist on 18 January, 2018, 10:31:20 AM
I cant decide if that cardboard stuff is madness or genius

A bit of both I think!

radiator

While the Labo doesn't interest me in the slightest (it's obviously aimed at kids) it's great to see Nintendo really embracing play and experimentation in their games. This philosophy seems to be influencing even their singleplayer games like Odyssey, Mario Maker and Breath pf the Wild. I think Minecraft was a real wake up call for the industry in this respect, which for most of the early 2000s was really drifting towards this very stale trend of online deathmatch and linear 'cinematic' singleplayer experiences (both of which bore me to tears). And thank god for that.

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 18 January, 2018, 04:59:46 PM
While the Labo doesn't interest me in the slightest (it's obviously aimed at kids) it's great to see Nintendo really embracing play and experimentation in their games. This philosophy seems to be influencing even their singleplayer games like Odyssey, Mario Maker and Breath pf the Wild. I think Minecraft was a real wake up call for the industry in this respect, which for most of the early 2000s was really drifting towards this very stale trend of online deathmatch and linear 'cinematic' singleplayer experiences (both of which bore me to tears). And thank god for that.

While I partly agree with this, one of the main strengths of Minecraft is the simplicity of the idea and the fact that it can be played on almost any modern device (that's capable of playing video games at all that is).
Nintendo are certainly willing to innovate but there's clearly a directive to tie their own proprietary technology into gameplay innovations. This can have its downsides and I certainly sympathise with those who want to play 'straight' Nintendo games that don't rely on the gimmicks.
A couple of examples where this approach has been detrimental:
Star Fox Zero - the multi screen control system simply doesn't work well for this type of game. It had dated gameplay anyway but the obtuse interface was a really bad idea.
Breath of the Wild - Wii U - I'm convinced that touch screen functionality was removed from this game (for weapon switching etc) because they didn't want it to have extra features which couldn't be incorporated into the Switch version.

Tiplodocus

Downloaded demo of Project Octopath Traveller (I guess it's a working title) and am loving it.

And as Teen (nee Tiny) Tips said "Labo isn't really aimed at us... But that's not going to  stop us getting It, is It?"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Have you seen the prices of this Labo stuff?

https://store.nintendo.co.uk/nintendo-labo.list

Sorry Nintendo but you're having a laugh!  :lol:

Tiplodocus

Assuming it has game included, that's about par for course these days, isn't It?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

I'm surprised the software isn't just a download code that comes with the cardboard to be honest - but it looks like it comes with a cartridge.
For this type of mini-game/demo type software (if that's what it is. It looks like Wii Sports, 1,2, Switch type stuff - I could be mistaken) bundled with flat packed cardboard,those prices are double what I'd pay.
Granted there will probably be some deals but this price point is far too high for me personally. And £9 for a set of felt tips and some stickers? Surely they could have bundled them in?
I've seen this compared elsewhere with Rockband/Guitar hero packs which came with a game and plastic instruments which are still going strong 10 years on. This is cardboard! 

radiator

QuoteDownloaded demo of Project Octopath Traveller (I guess it's a working title)

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going with that name tbh - Japanese RPG developers seem locked in a never-ending competition for who can come up with the stupidest, least appealing titles for their games, as if they are deliberately trying to sabotage any chance of success for them in the West.

Apestrife

Had to buy DOOM again (had it once before, but sold it) the other day since they'v patched in gyro controls. Not to mention fixing audio bugs and making the graphics better.

Was quite good before, but now it's a mighty fine game. Really hope to see gyro controls in more FPSs on switch. Feels/plays awesome :)

radiator

There's a new Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow!

Hopefully we'll get some big announcements about upcoming titles - indie games and ports aside, the 2018 release schedule for the Switch is looking fairly sparse so far.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/surprise_theres_a_new_nintendo_direct_coming_and_its_due_tomorrow

radiator

Quite a few announcements yesterday (we're getting Smash Bros. on Switch! and ports of Captain Toad, Crash Bandicoot trilogy and Okami, among others).

Very, very excited for Smash Bros. - a series I haven't played at all since the Gamecube version.

But buried amongst all the other announcements is this:

https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/08/nintendo-switch-gets-gamemaker-studio-2-development-toolset-this-summer/

Raising the possibility of future ports for wonderful games like Hyper Light Drifter and the Hotline Miami series... They have got to be no-brainers for the Switch, right?

JamesC

Hmmm. I can see why the Swtch is a great choice for people who travel a lot and have maybe fallen a bit behind with releases over the last few years. For others like myself it just feels like a console that's relying on little but ports and updates. Hopefully Smash Bros will be something special but it's a series I've always found to be hugely overrated (seemingly relying as much on fan-service and goodwill as anything else).

radiator

That's true, and I can understand why people have a problem with all the ports (despite the fact I am exactly the kind of gamer you describe so it's all good for me personally) but to be fair the Wii U was such a failure that you can see why third parties would initially have been very wary of committing to Switch. My assumption now that the Switch is pretty much confirmed to be a big success, you'll start to see more and more original third party games being announced. It's just with lead times for videogames being what they are, there'll be a delay before we start to see the fruits of this.

Regarding Smash, it's not a series I've ever cared too much about either, however I now have at least 4 colleagues who are all very excited for it and are going to want to play it at lunch or after work, so that's making me much more excited for it.

Apestrife

Quote from: JamesC on 09 March, 2018, 06:41:41 PM
Hmmm. I can see why the Swtch is a great choice for people who travel a lot and have maybe fallen a bit behind with releases over the last few years.

I never play it handheld. Have a bunch of games on it. Only ports that come to mind are Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart and DOOM (games I wouldn't mind buying again on new consoles). What I really like about the hardware is the controller. Great weight, HD rumble and good gyro.

Can't say I mind the WiiU ports. Tons of games on the WiiU who deserves another chance.

Already very excited over the the current line up of known upcoming games and there's also E3 around the corner. Nintendo WILL announce a couple of new ones there. Very excited to see what Retro studios been up to.