Main Menu

Can the FX in the prequel Star Wars be in 4K?

Started by matty_ae, 13 December, 2018, 05:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I might be being thick
But in the Prequel Trilogy is there actually enough information on screen CGI to create a true 4K version.
Or were the FX a lot softer in those days?
Would they render it all out again?

JOE SOAP

QuoteWould they render it all out again?

There are very few, if any, big films that currently render out 4k FX and I'd say very few will ever, or for the foreseeable, re-render their FX as it's too expensive.

The problem with both Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith is that, unlike The Phantom Menace being shot on 35mm film, the films themselves were both shot 1080p and matted to 2.39: 1, so they can never be truly 4k, or even reach true 2k – so it's upscale all the way.

Steve Green

What Joe said - technically they could go back and re-render some shots, but the live action plates still wouldn't be anywhere near 4K.

matty_ae

That's really interesting. Thanks for the answers.

A.Cow

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 December, 2018, 07:37:37 PM
What Joe said - technically they could go back and re-render some shots, but the live action plates still wouldn't be anywhere near 4K.

While that's true, there's definitely a growing trend to use machine learning to up-scale images, adding simulated detail to make it look like it was shot at the higher definition.  So I wouldn't be too surprised to see those movies released in pseudo-4K.

matty_ae

I know its very dull to criticise old films but from that era I watched Moulin Rouge last night and the pan through the city and the rendering looked terrible
Just so low res - like an 80s pop video

matty_ae

Wow. Watching these now in 4K on Disney+ and wow (apart from the Maclunkey disaster) the Prequels looks incredible. George either recorded with more information or they've faked it amazingly.

Anyone else see the Prequels now in 4K?