Main Menu

New album? Yes, please!

Started by Wils, 27 August, 2008, 09:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wils

It's not very often that reading something online gives me a fuzzy glow of happiness inside.

This is one of them. :)

Dandontdare

I say let it lie!

I've often argued with mates about whether these reunions are a good or a bad thing. personally, I don't want to see Led Zep in a vast hangar in 2008, I want to see them in the seventies in a little theatre, just like I want to see the Who and the Stones in the sixties, not the gruesome yet fascinating exercise in geriatric shananigans we get nowadays.

In some ways, I'd rather see a really good authentic tribute band who can recreate that feel of the glory days, than seeing the 'real' people still trying to do it as old men. It's irrelevant whether they can "still rock", because they can never recapture what it was like when they were new and dangerous and thrilling. A true pioneer will move on - Robert Plant's fantastic work with Alison Kraus for example - He doesn't need to go backwards.

Most of my friends, who would have skinned their grannies for one of those O2 led zep tickets, disagreed with me!

Wils

I don't think it's necessarily a step backwards if they released some new stuff, as they'd still have their own things on the go, as has always been the case. All three of them have been raping their back catalogue in their solo gigs as well, including Plant's concerts with Alison Kraus, so it's not exactly like they've disowned their own material from the past. For me it's the thought of new material from musicians who I like and respect that excites me, not only the prospect of them working together again. If Page, Jones and Jason Bonham end up releasing an album without Plant, I'd still be a happy camper.

Obviously, it wouldn't be like it was in the 70s, and the last time they played any small venues goes back as early as '73. What I would hope for is as plain and simple as good music from them and a great atmosphere at any concerts they may eventually do. I'm pretty certain that they're not deluded about their age and wouldn't allow any new shows they may do to come across as some bizarre cabaret in a nursing home.

I would've skinned several hundred grannies and sold both of my other half's kidneys to see them at the O2, by the way. ;)

The less said about Leona Lewis singing Whole Lotta Love at the Olymics handover ceremony, the better.

dweezil2

I suppose it all boils down to whether they can come up with something exciting and fresh. It's a shame to hear that Plant isn't involved at this stage, but I will be watching the development with interested. Age is really no barrier to creativity, take, for example Iron Maiden. They've been going for over 30 years and they are still a potent musical force and The 02 Zep gig proved that their is still a massive interested for Zep's music, beyond a simple nostalgia act and what I saw of the performance proved they still have passion and and ability.
As for Plant. He's still a force to be reckoned with, whether he has anything to do with this project or not. I've seen him solo and with The Strange Sensations on several occassions and he is still one of the most captivating performers and one of the finest vocalists of any generation. His collaboration with Alison Krauss was equally triumphant and the accompanying album and tour was simply magical.
As a side note, I also would of sold my granny and parts of my vital anatomy to see Zep at the 02.
Also, I didn't mind Leona Lewis'/Jimmy Page's interpretation of Whole Lotta Love at the Olympic games and I thought they did the song justice. I'm no fan of her genre of music, but I thought she looked beautiful and had a very good voice, for what it's worth.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Roger Godpleton

I thought this was going to be a new Happy Mondays album  :) )
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Wils"The less said about Leona Lewis singing Whole Lotta Love at the Olymics handover ceremony, the better.

I didn't see this, but I heard they 'cleaned up' the lyrics for a worldwide family audience. Say it ain't so!

Proudhuff

They should have got Jerry lewis to do it...
DDT did a job on me

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Godpleton"I thought this was going to be a new Happy Mondays album  :) )

GRRRRR Dont mention those degenerate Crackheads who were the ruination of one of the best record labels in the UK.

As for this i really do not see why *age* should be a factor in wether they should still play or not.Robert Plant still plays and sings and does just fine.And i am sick of people who think late sixties - 70 is old when it isnt.

If they want to make music together its their choice and ultimatly there is a demand for it as their back catalogue outsells every one elses by miles.I cant see it that robert Plant wont be involved at some point but i dont know how their writing process works but if Robert Plant isnt involved i would rather they do an instrumental album rather than hiring a different singer as its never the same with a different vocalist.Like The Stranglers without Hugh Cornwall or Queen with Paul Rodgers.

Also if they play gigs they should not play stadium gigs as i hate stadium gigs.They should play 12 nights at Earls Court like Pink Floyd did.Stadium gigs are selfish and lazy on the part of the band as they only have to play once and get all the money.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Dandontdare

oh yes, god preserve us from degenerate musicians! If it ain't clean cut i don't want it in my ears!  :o

I, Cosh

Quote from: "dandontdare"personally, I don't want to see Led Zep in a vast hangar in 2008, I want to see them in the seventies in a little theatre, just like I want to see the Who and the Stones in the sixties, not the gruesome yet fascinating exercise in geriatric shananigans we get nowadays.
For the money people were paying, I'd have expected to be taken back in time and supplied with all the groupies I could snort.

Still the my bloody valentine reunion tour was awesome. I didn't know guitars could go that loud.
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: "dandontdare"oh yes, god preserve us from degenerate musicians! If it ain't clean cut i don't want it in my ears!  :o

"When did mediocrity and banality become a good image for your children? I want my children to listen to people who fucking ROCKED! I don't care if they died in puddles of their own vomit! I want someone who plays from his fucking HEART!"

God, I miss Bill Hicks.

Cheers!

Jim

Send in Vanilla Ice.[/i]</Satan>
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Jim_Campbell"God, I miss Bill Hicks.

Amen to that brother! As the great man said:
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few songs."

Peter Wolf

Actually i dont mind who they record with if they choose an alternative vocalist but they shouldnt call themselves Led Zeppelin then as that wouldnt be right as it would be like they are cashing in on the name but the article clearly says that it "could" be new Led Zeppelin material or it might be a different project.

I always wanted a Jimmy page solo acoustic guitar album as i always liked Jimmy Pages acoustic playing on tracks like Ramble On and best of all Bron-Y-Aur.

Robert Plant is only 60.For some reason i thought he was a little bit older than that.
 I said what i said because i liked Factory Records a lot and was unhappy and annoyed that they were partly bankrupted by Happy Mondays.
 Musicians can take as many different substances and do what they like or not take any as long as they make good music .

My bloody Valentine sound like they are just as loud as when i saw them on what turned out to be their final concert IIRC in 1992.

Wils

Quote from: "peterwolf"I always wanted a Jimmy page solo acoustic guitar album as i always liked Jimmy Pages acoustic playing on tracks like Ramble On and best of all Bron-Y-Aur.

Not exactly a solo effort, but the album he made with Roy Harper, Whatever Happened to Jugular, is mainly acoustic stuff, IIRC.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Wils"
Quote from: "peterwolf"I always wanted a Jimmy page solo acoustic guitar album as i always liked Jimmy Pages acoustic playing on tracks like Ramble On and best of all Bron-Y-Aur.

Not exactly a solo effort, but the album he made with Roy Harper, Whatever Happened to Jugular, is mainly acoustic stuff, IIRC.

It is and i bought a copy on Ebay a while ago.

For some reason it isnt even available on a CD and i had a hell of a job finding a copy.

Jimmy Page on accoustic is totally different to Jimmy Page on electric guitar .