Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

someone at our office decided that the level of lighting in the office was too dim for "health & safety" (despite the fact that we work from screens, which have their own illumination) Over the weekend they have had the whole floor fitted out with new lighting. Several people reported headaches due to the blinding glare, but I was informed that wearing my shades in the office did not conform to the dress code.

I, Cosh

I got in from work at five to eight. Just in time to put the kettle on before University Challenge. Or so I thought. Unfortunately, BBC mandarins, in their wisdom, have decreed that us merry Jockos would rather watch some tedious pish about clans instead.

And DdD, what is your policy on mirrored contact lenses?
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 October, 2009, 09:37:35 PM
And DdD, what is your policy on mirrored contact lenses?

I think my policy is: :o COOL!  :o - where can I get some? Oh wait, that would involve putting things in my eye, right? *shudder*

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 26 October, 2009, 06:15:11 PM
Bollocks, the fridge light has blown!

Ours blew three years ago- and we still haven't replaced it.

SBT

TordelBack

So I borrow my Mother's DS (21st century living or what) to help me decide whether I'm going to take the plunge this Christmas and get one myself.  I fiddle about with the 42 Classic Games thing, heh, that bowling is pretty good fun.  Then I put in Professor Layton and 2 hours of good solid late-night working time pass in an instant. 

Noisybast

Why is it that the more irritable you become, the more cling film sticks to itself?
Design flaw surely?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

wild-seven

are you sure it doesn't switch on when the fridge door is closed?
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: wild-seven on 28 October, 2009, 10:43:04 AM

are you sure it doesn't switch on when the fridge door is closed?

Sadly I have it to the left of the keyboard to remind me to go down the town and get a replacement and it has blown. My good lady was all for the fridge being dead but after two days it's still cold in there. Not that I'm sat in there now typing ;)
So that's a bulb for the fridge, one for the cooker (I'm with you SBT on this one as I think this went 5 years ago ish), mince for spaghetti tonight, a piece of replacement glass for Sam's den for when we move the chickens into that, a couple of buckets, a newspaper, watch some recorded telly, etc...
A mans work is never done ;)

Banners

3 seem to have forgotten I have a 24 month contract, rather than an 18 month one, so have offered me a free upgrade on my mobile next month ie. 6 months early.

However, they don't have any better handsets than the Nokia E71 I already own.

M@

uncle fester

There's a good chance they won't have any decent new handsets in 6 months either. Nokia have been stuck in the "we fear change" rut for years now. Sorry. I'm Nokiaphobic ;)

Banners

I may have to switch allegiance and get an iPhone. ~shudder~

M@

wild-seven

Quote from: uncle fester on 28 October, 2009, 11:48:35 AM
There's a good chance they won't have any decent new handsets in 6 months either. Nokia have been stuck in the "we fear change" rut for years now. Sorry. I'm Nokiaphobic ;)

You've not experienced true mobile phone horror till you've used a vodafone own-brand one, I still need councilling
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

uncle fester

Quote from: wild-seven on 28 October, 2009, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: uncle fester on 28 October, 2009, 11:48:35 AM

You've not experienced true mobile phone horror till you've used a vodafone own-brand one, I still need councilling

Have you heard of the Sagem MV3020? Airbrushed out of its own company history. Unique Selling Point was it fell apart as you were using it. When mine 'retired' it was home to more sellotape than technology.

COMMANDO FORCES

Sod it I'm gonna have to go down the town and do those jobs or else I'm in the brown smelly ::)

Mike Gloady

Because I just had a fifteen minute conversation with some insurance nut, which is enough of a minor impediment to qualify for inclusion here by itself - BUT THERE'S MORE!

Found my mum had an "insurance" policy from the water company.  Phoned them to check what it was for (all other phonecalls have been to organise the direct debit being changed into my name or whatever, but since being screwed over by holiday insurance I'm always sceptical).  Spent ages trying to figure out WHAT it covered, talked to three seperate people (politely, I'm always polite) before finally being told it's for "pest nfestation, burst sewers, broken water pipes" and other highly unlikely things.  I've never known anyone to have this insurance.  I have never had it.  I've never met anyone who's had one of these things happen.  And, being insurance people, they will wriggle like a snake in a frying pan to get out of paying up anyway.

I'm sure, should this happen, I'll be slightly annoyed with myself for cancelling the insurance.  But I'm also sure that my dear disabled, blind and living off a pension mum, having had this for ten years, has paid more money than she'd ever have saved.  Were she alive, I like to think she'd understand. 

And if that wasn't enough of a minor impediment, I've made four other calls like that today.  Whoohoo! 

Time for a cuppa and frozen pizza.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever