Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 October, 2017, 06:06:22 PM
I found out recently that we'll be doing mandatory overtime starting next week.

On one hand, I'm happy as we get the time and a half pay, and I don't mind the extra day. I'm not keen on the fact they're adding an extra hour to each shift as well though (so 5 11 hours shifts rather than the usual 4 day 10 hours. ).

I have quite a bit of traveling, and I come in extra early too, as a certain bus is not reliable. I don't get enough sleep as it is... and it looks like things could get worse.

A small complaint really though. I'm now on my fifth week of permanent full time work with decent pay after months of temping/unemployment so I've a lot to be thankful for. I think I should seriously consider moving closer though, but not sure I should risk that until I've passed my probationary period (assuming that I do).

Best wishes on the probationary period.

Mardroid

Thanks Sheridan.

Hope you get better soon Smith. Have you had it checked at the doctor's? I know one wouldn't normally do that with a sting. I'm just concerned if your arm has swollen that much you might have had an allergic reaction. Doubt it's that serious, but I think it's advisable to get checked.

Smith

I exaggerated a bit. :)
It should be fine in 2-3 days.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 24 October, 2017, 08:01:52 AM
Whilst it's not actually on White Hart Lane it's the name that was adopted by the brewery that owned the plot of land that used to be a nursery . . .

Soon as you said 'brewery', I recalled doing an online search a while back and it taking a surprisingly long time to find out. I'll be sure make mention to the next Spurs fan I meet who doesn't know. Cheers!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 October, 2017, 03:20:37 PM
Whilst it's not actually on White Hart Lane it's the name that was adopted by the brewery that owned the plot of land that used to be a nursery . . .

Soon as you said 'brewery', I recalled doing an online search a while back and it taking a surprisingly long time to find out. I'll be sure make mention to the next Spurs fan I meet who doesn't know. Cheers!

A pleasure  :)

Funt Solo

QuoteI got stung by a hornet.My arm looks like a balloon.

There was a young man from Dundee
Got stung on the leg by a wasp
When asked does it hurt
He said, 'Yes, it does.
'I'm so glad it wasn't a hornet.'

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160908-the-language-rules-we-know-but-dont-know-we-know
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

40 today :'(

I will accept any and all mid-life crisis advice from my fellow quadragenarian Squaxx Dek Thargo.

The Legendary Shark

Happy birthday. My advice; don't. Or do. It's up to you.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IAMTHESYSTEM

Happy Birthday, Link. It's not all downhill from 40 just mostly!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

von Boom

sheridan

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 23 October, 2017, 08:10:12 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 16 October, 2017, 06:03:36 PM
I get to watch the matches on TV but it's not the same.

Sorry to take this off on a tangent but no Spurs fan I've asked has ever been able to answer. What's with "Live! From White Hart Lane!" when the Spurs ground isn't actually on White Hart Lane?

Whilst it's not actually on White Hart Lane it's the name that was adopted by the brewery that owned the plot of land that used to be a nursery. Often directions to farmers in the late 1800's was White Hart Lane as there was nothing around the area at the time and the nursery, and then obviously the stadium that was built there, was clearly visible as it's only a couple of hundred yards away. It's actually on the High Road but in those days there wasn't a High road to mention of. The name stuck as the years went by and will when the new stadium is finished despite what it maybe called. The new stadium will actually be a 100 yards closer to White Hart Lane than the old one was.

Zero interest in spectator sports, but it did strike me that there were a few schools, a sports centre and not much else on White Hart Lane when I went there for a wheelchair conference.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 January, 2018, 10:12:55 AM
40 today :'(

I will accept any and all mid-life crisis advice from my fellow quadragenarian Squaxx Dek Thargo.

Happy birthday,  Link.  It's only a mid life crisis if you plan to live to 80...

What I wouldn't give to be 40* again,  though! The vigour of youth,  the wisdom of age!

*apart from the bit where we got our fresh veggies from the bins behind the grocers, hid from the sheriff and couldn't afford the Prog... Come to think of it,  40 was shit. Roll on 50.

maryanddavid

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: sheridan on 11 January, 2018, 03:42:41 PM

Zero interest in spectator sports, but it did strike me that there were a few schools, a sports centre and not much else on White Hart Lane when I went there for a wheelchair conference.

In the 70's, when I started going there, it was a thriving community. My Dad lived a stone's throw from the ground from the 40's onwards until he moved slightly North in the late sixties to Enfield.

It's true that today there is nothing much there bar the ground but that's all changing, and most of it is thanks to the club.

As well as building the new stadium Spurs have agreed to build lots of affordable housing, a college (which is up and running), and are helping to regenerate the area in general. And not before time but it's a shame it took a privately owned football club to do it, although the help from the local council and the government has been good once Spurs put their hands in their pockets.

Mattofthespurs

Happy Birthday Link.
As someone who 'celebrates' their 50th Birthday this year I can tell you that 40 is a fine age to be.