Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Fungus on 02 June, 2017, 10:45:21 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 June, 2017, 10:12:50 AM
Quote from: Fungus on 02 June, 2017, 02:29:36 AM
No thanks. It's a comics forum. Please put your Trump quibbles in the Political Bit where I can ignore them.
Literally the only way to get Fungus around these parts is to merge threads. :lol:

I feel... soiled.

Nurse!
Welcome to intensive, this thread has been on life support for 4 years.

Professor Bear

Jeremy Corbyn has landed the cover and endorsement of KERRANG! magazine - so that's the 8-13 year-old vote sewn up like a kipper, then.

Also, don't ask if Theresa May is under the weather at the moment.  Yes I know that's an oddly specific thing to say unsolicited.  Nothing to see here.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 June, 2017, 06:17:26 PM
Jeremy Corbyn has landed the cover and endorsement of KERRANG! magazine - so that's the 8-13 year-old vote sewn up like a kipper, then.

Also, don't ask if Theresa May is under the weather at the moment.  Yes I know that's an oddly specific thing to say unsolicited.  Nothing to see here.

Doctor Who reference?

Professor Bear

Yes/no.  A BBC insider messaged lefty gobshite Owen Jones and blew the whistle that the media had been "told" not to discuss Theresa May's health.

Dandontdare

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Proudhuff on 03 June, 2017, 11:11:48 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 02 June, 2017, 08:01:29 PM
lefty gobshite

Nice.
Mhhhmmmm.... ::)

In other relevant news, yesterdays leader question time was a fucking shit show...for May, Jezza handled homself quiet well I think.

Steve Green

I didn't think she was comparitively that bad, with Corbyn edging ahead - but I was expecting a much worse performance by May based on her last week or so.

Proudhuff

but was she looking tired?  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

Hah.

My expectation is that she may get a slight increase in majority, and the whole thing will have been a colossal waste of time.

She doesn't get the 'mandate' she was banging on about, Corbyn doesn't do badly enough or well enough to satisfy either faction, the Lib Dems stuff up capitalising on the Remain vote, and UKIP disappear.

Proudhuff

Why has no-one mentioned the giant lizards yet?
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Things is, whatever majority she gets will be her 'will of the people' mandate for everything in that manifesto, from hard Brexit to stringent internet regulation.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 June, 2017, 11:21:11 AMIn other relevant news, yesterdays leader question time was a fucking shit show...for May, Jezza handled homself quiet well I think.

Fave moments were "Why won't you condemn people who bomb the innocent?" being closely followed by "Why won't you drop a nuclear bomb on people?", and the guy in a £200 Ralph Lauren top talking about how great Zero Hour contracts are for him because they're the only way a young person like him can get money to buy food - followed shortly by Twitter detectives posting pics of the same guy at Ascot wearing a tux and top hat.

Modern Panther

When a faith or ideology is brought into question, or a way of life threatened, or simply feels under threat., there is always the risk that adherents to that believe system will be radicalized.  This is a very real and dangerous threat to our society.

Never have I seen this better demonstrated that by last night's question time audience.

For months, the British Right have been reassured that a conservative government will control this country indefinitely, that Brexit will result in a resurgent Empire.  They have been told that Labour are dangerous to their way of life, but that they are weak, disorganized, and easily dismissed.

In less that 45 minutes, we saw this ideology shift.  First, there were bizarre illogical statements as their reality fell away ("will you do a deal with the SNP?""No, I will not.""You didn't answer the question!"), but soon all reason was lost as members of the audience began insisting that any wine who wasn't willing to immediately murder the entire population of Iran was a coward.

Even if they lose, these people will not go away. 

Professor Bear

They won't lose, tho.  Even if there's a hung parliament, the LibDems know which side their bread is buttered.