Main Menu

London Super Comic Con 2017

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 11 October, 2016, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Yeah, was hard for me to judge as I was feeling pretty dreadful with a cold.

The decision to shut the main hall at around 2, 2:30 seemed to catch people by surprise.

Thought the lack of updates to the guest list was poor - Greg Staples had cancelled and the page still had him down as attending.

Main Hall was hot and stuffy, artists alley seemed much better, although it felt like the artists were sidelined/squirrelled away at a dedicated comics event.

Enjoyed the panel which Dave Gibbons was on though.

Not sure about the decision to shift it to a bank holiday weekend - think it suffered from the traditional engineering works combined with saturation in cons generally.

Going to be interested to see how TB turns out, another one with a shift of location and date - I think that's going to suffer a little bit as well.

matty_ae

I've had a think about it.

I think the Super Convention was a bit flat because... the Comic Industry (mainly DC & Marvel) just haven't given the mainstream anything to get really excited for quite a number of years.

Saga is probably the last really 100% hot release I can think of.

Marvel have failed to get any benefit from the movies (no real way 'in' there - no movie comic series) and DC have now rebooted twice and the boost that gives comes with a bust.

I think at the heart the mainstream product has just been too weak for too long. And I hate the Watchmen riffs coming now. 

IAMTHESYSTEM

The London Film and Comic Con in late July attracts a lot of celebrities and Movie stars plus quite a few Comic artists. We're in a grim period economic wise, and Comics always tend to suffer from a lacklustre economy so if you're a Comic Production Company who might have attended 2 or more comic cons a year it makes economic sense to choose just one venue to visit. LFCC is the biggest in Britain with big names attracting large audiences, and that's why I think any other Con is going to seem an inadequate investment in comparison. I think it's right to say the Comic Book Industry is in the doldrums though I can't think of anything [except Future Quake/DogBreath!] that's got a lot of peoples attention. Perhaps Marvels Cinematic success means Comics are now second in the larger scale of things. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

matty_ae

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 06 September, 2017, 10:35:28 AM
Perhaps Marvels Cinematic success means Comics are now second in the larger scale of things.

Completely agree. I love the MCU. It's got everything I want. I'm interested in whether RDJ will stay on as Iron Man. No comic can give me that but I used to get it from both 616 and Ultimate Universe in the Bendis run up to Secret Invasion.

DC I love Snyder but blimey they pumped him for events. And the Frank Miller stuff is just so retro-duff.

Steve Green

There's definitely a saturation of cons, and yeah people are being more choosy.

I think the sidelining of comics at the media cons, and the resulting sniffiness towards cosplayers/celebs signing/photoshoots that comes from the purist comic cons doesn't help.

The comics side of things could do with being a bit more showy/media savvy, and the media cons need to stop treating comics as the poor relation while simultaneously giving comics equal billing in the show titles.

It's a matter of balance.

Steve Green

No idea how true it is, but I've read the shift to the Business Design Centre is because MCM signed an exclusive with the ExCel.

I've seen some other rumours on Bleeding Cool about it being merged into LFCC or MCMExpo, but they were shot down on facebook as just that.