Main Menu

The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance

Started by Andy Lambert, 18 May, 2017, 09:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2017, 08:32:30 PM
Si Spurrier, Dark Crystal, that's gotta be good.

Based on the unused screenplay for the sequel, I believe... and, yes, I'm sure I've had comps so it's definitely out in dead tree format...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 19 May, 2017, 12:57:29 PM
I liked The Dark Crystal but the twist was so obvious that it ruined things a bit.

I didn't realise it was supposed to be a 'twist' kind of film.  I thought it's fairly obvious what's happening with the Skeksis and the urRu from the time that the Emperor / Master died simultaneously and even more so when the urRu Alchemist just vanishes at the same time that the Skeksis Scientist dies.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2017, 08:37:04 PM

Based on the unused screenplay for the sequel, I believe... and, yes, I'm sure I've had comps so it's definitely out in dead tree format...

Yep - I've seen copies in various comic shops.  Annoyingly only from about the third issue onwards, otherwise I'd have snapped them up.  I'm hoping for a collected edition (still got my so-far unread Marvel adaptation somewhere).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sheridan on 19 May, 2017, 08:39:09 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2017, 08:37:04 PM

Yep - I've seen copies in various comic shops.  Annoyingly only from about the third issue onwards, otherwise I'd have snapped them up.  I'm hoping for a collected edition (still got my so-far unread Marvel adaptation somewhere).

Damn yeah. You can get issue 1 at reasonable price on eBay. 2 at ouch but not horrible money BUT no issue 3. I think this is a trade wait then!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2017, 09:20:07 PM
Damn yeah. You can get issue 1 at reasonable price on eBay. 2 at ouch but not horrible money BUT no issue 3. I think this is a trade wait then!

At some point in the near future, I will start flogging my excess comps. I'll drop you a PM when I find these.

M.I.K.

Quote from: sheridan on 19 May, 2017, 08:37:50 PM
I liked The Dark Crystal but the twist was so obvious that it ruined things a bit.

I didn't realise it was supposed to be a 'twist' kind of film.  I thought it's fairly obvious what's happening with the Skeksis and the urRu from the time that the Emperor / Master died simultaneously and even more so when the urRu Alchemist just vanishes at the same time that the Skeksis Scientist dies.

I didn't take it as a 'twist' either. You're told within the first five minutes of the film that two new races were created when the crystal shattered and that the leaders of both races are now dying.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2017, 10:11:40 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 May, 2017, 09:20:07 PM

At some point in the near future, I will start flogging my excess comps. I'll drop you a PM when I find these.

Defo do as I'll be more than happy to buy them. Thanks Jim.

edgeworthy

The Goonies is horrible shouty rubbish but it's well made and I can see why people appreciate its feel of adventure.

Labyrinth is an imaginative, fun film and I know for a fact that many young girls (at the time) were quite affected by David Bowie's performance and tight trousers (my girlfriend is one of them - you don't want to know what gets talked about on the Facebook group :-\)

As for dark kids films - the one that always sicks in my mind is The Secret of Nimh. I haven't seen it for years but it freaked me out a bit at the time.
Personally it was Jennifer Connelly's heaving for me!

Andy Lambert

sheridan

Quote from: Goaty on 19 May, 2017, 10:24:07 AM
I maybe only one that think this is perfect film that don't need sequels or prequels.

And it not same without Jim Henson as it was his project/personal film.

There was always an intention to do a sequel, and many of the people who worked on the original are still around (and working for the Henson company).  If you can get your hands on a copy, have a read of The Making of the Dark Crystal.

JOE SOAP

Having watched the first episode this has very auspicious beginnings and may turn out to be an example of an all too rare thing: a good prequel.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 07 September, 2017, 01:25:46 PM
There was always an intention to do a sequel, and many of the people who worked on the original are still around (and working for the Henson company).  If you can get your hands on a copy, have a read of The Making of the Dark Crystal.

The Power of the Dark Crystal from BOOM, written by Si Spurrier, is based on the unproduced screenplay for the sequel — available as three TPBs and also as three rather lovely over-size hardbacks, if my comps pile is anything to go by.

JOE SOAP

I may just have to read this, Jim. I've left it too long.

zombemybabynow

binged it saturday / sunday - f@@king awesome

also, hats off to simon pegg - his chancellor / frank oz was spot on

must've been good - as i forgot i was watching puppets

PS. DON'T SKIP FORWARD - after the end of episode 10 if you don't skip there's a making of -

including the most amazing fact about [spoiler]the baby from labrynth[/spoiler] i did not know that
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

sintec

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 August, 2019, 02:37:30 PM
The Power of the Dark Crystal from BOOM, written by Si Spurrier, is based on the unproduced screenplay for the sequel — available as three TPBs and also as three rather lovely over-size hardbacks, if my comps pile is anything to go by.

And now I know what my girlfriend is getting for Christmas this year - (assuming I can track these down) nice one.