Main Menu

2000AD Cover of the year Vote 2017

Started by Pete Wells, 08 December, 2017, 08:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Hooray! Now that we've had all of this year's glorious 2000AD covers, it's time for the annual cover of the year vote! You can see all the covers here, and of course, click 'em to enlarge 'em:

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/2000-ad/2017

I'd like you to CLEARLY list your THREE favourites, in order. THREE points will be awarded to your fave, TWO points for second and ONE point for third. Please try and be explicit with this and maybe give a little comment to say why you chose each cover as it makes it a bit more interesting for the rest of us!

The closing date is midnight on Tuesday 2nd January 2018...

A Meg thread will be along shortly...

Pete Wells

Oh, remember there's the two covers for the 40th Anniversary special too!

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/specials

Link Prime

Right on schedule Pete.

My Votes:

1st Place; Prog 2057 by Boo Cook. A colorful and dynamic cover, featuring a personal favorite character with a great design. It was an unexpected treat seeing not just Lee Carter's but also Boo Cook's take on the witch boy.
2nd Place; Prog 2019 by The Stapler. Iconic.
3rd Place; Prog 2033 by Paul Davidson. I love the composition and coloring. The creepy zombies are just great too.

HM- Every cover by Simon Davis. A true fine art artist.

abelardsnazz

My choices:

1. 40th Anniversary special by Carlos Ezquerra. Iconic characters by an iconic artist, it sums up 40 years for me perfectly.
2. Prog 2029 by Dave Kendall. Love Dave's take on the Dark Judges, it's literally the stuff of nightmares, you can almost feel the decay. Horrifyingly good.
3. Prog 2057 by Boo Cook. It brought back many memories of reading Revere back in the day, great to see him back in a fantastic rendition by Boo.

A very happy and peaceful Christmas to all Squaxx.

Eamonn Clarke

1. 2019. Greg Staples. Dredd. The iconic-est iconic icon.
2. 2038. Chris Weston and the Pin-up cover. Wonderful details.
3. 2057. Boo Cook. Kinetic, exciting, dramatic. Great stuff, Mr Cook

von Boom

1. 2019. Greg Staples. Dreddly.
2. 2040. Neil Roberts. Very Iron Maiden Powerslavey.
3. 2054. Tiernen Trevallion. I love some Absalom.

IndigoPrime

1: 2025 / Clint Langley. I'm not a massive fan of his painted style, nor Judge Death, but this one properly stood out as as great cover. It felt very cinematic in nature, and had an obvious but well considered coverline.

2. 2018 / Ryan Brown. The Order didn't really do much for me, but this cover is amusingly pulp, with some nicely terrified people fleeing from a giant toothy worm.

3. 2028 / D'Israeli. In part, because the man can do no wrong in my eyes. But this is a really nicely composed cover, with sharp lines, bold colours, and another amusing coverline.

HMs: 2039 / INJ Culbard; 2046 / Karl Richardson; 2057 / Boo Cook; 2059 / Tiernen Trevallion.

Proudhuff

1st:  2058.  Dredd v Sov... A classic face off, exactly what 2000ad is all about.

2nd: 2059 Absalom, Great use of perspective, tone and detail. and I love a bit of old Harry's game.

3rd: 2013, Nun of that please. This cover looks like the kind of thing your parents would worry about you reading.
DDT did a job on me

norton canes

So glad this happens! Having been buying 2000 AD for less than a year (although with 51 progs, only just) this is my first time voting.

Looking through that 2017 covers gallery there's only really ten at most I'd say were disappointing, so by that measure it's been a great year. In terms of consistent contributors neither Cliff Robinson, Tiernen Trevallion, Simon Davis, Clint Langley nor Mark Harrison have put a brush stroke out of place in their many brilliant efforts, and there were incredible one-offs from the likes of Boo Cook and Greg Staples, among others.

Missing out on the top 3 by a whisker would be Greg's epic Dredd (prog 2019), Chris Weston's grotesque Pin (prog 2036), Neil Robert's awesome mummified Judge (prog 2040) and Karl Richardson's striking Mechastopheles (prog 2046).

However...

3rd place: Fear Me (prog 2029) by Dave Kendall - so dark and gruesome, the pinprick red eyes shooting out the page like lasers... and a phenomenal take on a classic character.

2nd place: Texas Hold 'Em (prog 2016) by Alex Ronald - it's the cover that got me back into buying 2000 AD after 27 years, so it has to be there. A magnificent contrast between the characters of Dredd and Paradox Vega, it put me in mind of Dredd and Chopper all those years ago and, well, it was just irresistible.

1st place: Fearful Symmetry (prog 2030) by INJ Culbard - cover of the year from the strip of the year by the writer of the year and an artist whose work is the equal of any 2000 AD pensmith. Sublime composition, expression, draughtsmanship, use of colour and layers... exquisite.

And to be honest I could easily have put Eye in the Sky from prog 2039 in the top three too!

Proudhuff

Quote from: norton canes on 08 December, 2017, 04:24:18 PM
. In terms of consistent contributors neither Cliff Robinson, Tiernen Trevallion, Simon Davis, Clint Langley nor Mark Harrison have put a brush stroke out of place in their many brilliant efforts, and there were incredible one-offs from the likes of Boo Cook and Greg Staples, among others.

Looks like we are need some geek like ven diagrams and shit...
DDT did a job on me

WhizzBang

1) 2014 - Daze of future past

This is a nice one. I would be happy to have this on my wall.

2) 2036 - Betray the badge

A really good cover for the Dredd content inside, the story did live up to the image.

3) 2044 - The magic is back

Nice pulp detective thriller style image.

Andy Lambert

1st: #2057 by Boo Cook
2nd: #2014 by Neil Roberts
3rd: #2019 by Greg Staples

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

1. Prog 2018 by Ryan Brown
2. Prog 2050 by Simon Davis
3. Prog 2023 by Cliff Robinson/ Dylan Teague

SBT

Steve Green

First : 2016 Texas Hold 'Em by Alex Ronald. Bright MacNeilesque colours - really stands out.

Second: 2027 Lawman of Steel by Matt Ferguson - Dynamic, good to see a judge other than Dredd on the cover and enjoyed the storyline

Third: 2029 Fear Me by Dave Kendall - Lot of love of for this, fantastically creepy and gruesome for a cover, but maybe a little too subdued in colour overall for a cover (difficult with the subject matter I know) - probably my fave as a piece of art, but the others jump out more.

Magnetica

I found this quite hard this year, but not for the reasons you might think. Rather for me a good cover should give an insight into what is in the Prog and entice the reader in. Something I think 2000 AD no longer seems as good as as it used to be.

I could easily have chosen any or all of Tiernan Trevallion's but will limit it to 1 choice. So here goes:

First: Prog 2054 Harry Absalom and his shadow by Tiernan Trevallion. Simply the best image this year. I almost disqualified it as it should have been the week before's Prog. But that's not TT's fault.

Second: Prog 2015: Leigh Gallagher KingMaker.  A cover that was was good at enticing you in.

Third: Prog 2019. Just got to love a Greg Staples Dredd. Pure quality. But marked down for being just a random Dredd image.

HM: Prog 2061. Looks great, but actually doesn't seem right to vote for a prog I haven't actually received yet.