Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Should we talk about the spines here or on the spines thread?  :-*y
DDT did a job on me

Mike Carroll

Issues 4 and 5 arrived today... Not in great condition, but a little better than the last two. This time, they were packaged with the coasters in a very large box that they would have rattled around in had the box not been severely squashed.

-- Mike

COMMANDO FORCES

Yeah, the box was ludicrous in size. It had a massive FRAGILE pasted all over and when it was handed over to me, with a rattle, I wondered what was inside. When I opened it and saw the contents, well, I had to laugh. Who on earth is packing this stuff!

Fungus

I did see a photo of the first 4 books together somewhere, neatly arranged. Except that for one volume the cover was clearly buckled (maybe dropped due to excessive Thrill-Power). Surely not promotional material  ;)

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 March, 2015, 04:36:34 PM
Yeah, the box was ludicrous in size. It had a massive FRAGILE pasted all over and when it was handed over to me, with a rattle, I wondered what was inside. When I opened it and saw the contents, well, I had to laugh. Who on earth is packing this stuff!

People on £2.30 an hour who really couldn't give a fuck about your books that would cost them a days wages to buy, is my guess.

robert_ellis

The books are quickly replaced by Hachette so I've stopped worrying about the condition. As for the inclusion of maybe less than stellar material - I think that often in Dredd there have been a variety of genre's & levels of storytelling. I love the current trend for police procedural, but I prefer it interrupted by sensitive Kleggs. Purgatory & inferno had a  "grind-house" intensity albeit helped by solid art which elevated them above the Mechanismo repetitious sequels. The strength of this series (& longevity of Dredd) is variety - here's to all the glorious miss-steps & curious cul-de-sacs of Megacity One.

Frank

Quote from: Fungus on 09 March, 2015, 04:23:44 PM
Written by writers who weren't interested (in UK comics). Like Judgment Day before them

Morrison and Millar clearly wear their underpants over their tights, but Garth Ennis is a 2000ad fanboy *. That's why much of his Dredd work feels like karaoke, rather than the distinctive voice of something like Preacher. Once Ennis got to the point in his career when he could write whatever he wanted, he set about creating a small outpost of 1970s British boys' comics in the pages of Bloody Mary, Just A Pilgrim, and Adventures In The Rifle Brigade.

Inferno suffers from almost the same problem as Ennis's Dredd efforts. It's just Wagner & Grant's Greatest Hits, although in Morrison's case that's because he's regurgitating the Titan trades Tharg sent him to read out of laziness, rather than because he's awed at following in Wagner's footsteps. You would have thought a writer who trumpets his originality would have impress his own genius upon Inferno, but he was going bald and doing a lot of drugs at the time.

Inferno is entirely without merit in its own right and adds nothing to the development of the Dredd epic, but I actually really enjoyed the gleeful, preposterous, operatic sadism of Purgatory at the time - even if I acknowledge every point made about how it makes no sense whatsoever. Carlos's artwork is peerless though; he deserves every penny that's coming his way from these reprints, and I'll be buying the book just for the last flourish of his gorgeous coloured ink style.

* The kind of fanboy who thinks the comic ceased publication when he hit puberty, but we all went through that phase

Greg M.

Quote from: Butch on 09 March, 2015, 05:36:00 PM

Inferno is entirely without merit in its own right and adds nothing to the development of the Dredd epic, but I actually really enjoyed the gleeful, preposterous, operatic sadism of Purgatory at the time - even if I acknowledge every point made about how it makes no sense whatsoever.

I find myself in agreement with this. It's odd – Purgatory is undoubtedly complete rubbish but it's got something about it. I definitely prefer it to Inferno –  Inferno features a particularly stupid incarnation of Judge Dredd doing stupid things for stupid reasons, but Purgatory focuses on a bunch of awful people doing awful things for fairly clear reasons, so that wins. Plus, I have a weird soft spot for the 'Never trust a hippy' callback.

Apestrife

What's the max page count on the books? Seems like there's a set number of max. pages?

Would be cool if some of the stories would get a p.1 and p.2. For example The pit could get be a two parter, with the second part including Beyond the call of duty and Scorpion dance.

Also, could Chopper's solo progs fill/fit a book? Unamerican G, Midnight surfer, Soul of fire and Song of the surfer?

Hope Oz ends with Bloodline (perhaps also Cadet Giant as a back up story, who needs to be in there somewhere.) and then getting followed by two Necropolis books.  Book one Letter from a democrat, Revolution, Letter to Judge Dredd, Tales of the Dead man and the first parts of Necropolis, with book two finishing things and adding The Theatre of Death, Nightmares, The Devil You Know and Twilight's Last Gleaming.

ZenArcade

I'm struggling with the prospect of Inferno being placed in this run. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mattofthespurs

Relax. Chill. And be happy with what comes. It's Dredd. There is not really, really shit Dredd in my opinion.

I don't want to know what's next.

I just want to get it and enjoy.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 09 March, 2015, 06:20:30 PM
It's Dredd. There is not really, really shit Dredd in my opinion.

Then I see your Inferno and raise you Heavy Metal Dredd and IDW's Dark Judge pokemon.
@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Richard

Inferno was a crap story, but it is a showcase of Ezquerra's best art.

The best thing they could do is white out all the speech balloons and let us write in our own dialogue. Bet every reader could write a better story of their own!

I agree with the comments about Purgatory: it's not very good, but it is still fun.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 March, 2015, 06:36:57 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 09 March, 2015, 06:20:30 PM
It's Dredd. There is not really, really shit Dredd in my opinion.

Then I see your Inferno and raise you Heavy Metal Dredd and IDW's Dark Judge pokemon.

I'll take those and raise you and Marvel comic you like.