Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 21/5/05, EPISODE 9, THE EMPTY CHILD...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 21 May, 2005, 12:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

...and the very amusing "Who is Doctor Who?" site has been updated with a couple of new articles.

Link: http://whoisdoctorwho.co.uk" target="_blank">Who is Doctor Who?

The Amstor Computer

BTW, for anyone following the whole "Bad Wolf" thing, the three new Ninth Doctor books are all supposed to have small "Bad Wolf" references:

In The Clockwise Man, the Doctor is accused of turning up ?like a bad wolf?.

In The Monsters Inside, Rose and her friend are trapped in a spaceship cockpit as the alien pilot bangs at the locked door, ?like the big bad wolf?.

In Winner Takes All, Mickey?s front room is littered with video games, including one called Bad Wolf.

To add to the mystery, the penultimate episode, "Bad Wolf" is supposed to...

SPOILER SPACE

...involve a reality TV show called "Bad Wolf", similar to Big Brother (hence the apparent guest appearance of Davina McCall). It seems very unlikely that all of the references are to this show, so I'm guessing the name is simply yet another reference.

I'm completely stumped as to what "Bad Wolf" can refer to. The line from the song "Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf" would seem to suggest it could be an old enemy of the Doctor, but the moment when the Nestene Consciousness screamed "Bad Wolf" at seeing the TARDIS in "Rose", along with a couple of other references, suggest it could be that the Doctor himself is the "Bad Wolf".

All very intriguing...

LARF

Well that episode scared the shite out of me, I wateched the later episode on BBC3 on my own after a few drinks, and dreamt of small gas masked children all night...

OldOne

With regards to the 'Bad Wolf' references, it occured to me that the slightly bizarre appearance of a 'little pig' in the Aliens of London episode (i.e the genetically altered spacecraft pilot) might have been a pretty subtle 'Bad Wolf' reference.

I mean, why did the Slitheen choose that particular animal to muck about with?

The Amstor Computer

Adam --

Yep, I suspect it was another little nod. There was also a news reporter in one of the two episodes called "Mal Loup", IIRC - bad French, but another BW reference...

Endjinn

I am still loving it. Even if no-one in 1940s London can answer a simple question except with a cryptic "you'll have to see for yourself..." manner.

Artificial Idiot

Recorded it off BBC 3 earlier (BLASTED EUROVISION!) and only just watched it... And wow. Just, wow. Best episode so far, for sure. I loved the look of it just from the trailers I'd seen a month or so ago (having a soft spot for both Richard Wilson and wartime England) but it exceeded even my very high expections... Very well done. Amazing.

Hey, Amstor, out of interest how many urls does that whoisdrwho site have? The one I have is 'bad-worlf.co.uk'...

Dan Kelly

Loved the episode last night.  BTW, wasn't it Albion Hospital in WW3?

Dan

longmanshort

Fricking scary, man! Had nightmares about that kid all night ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

The Amstor Computer

AI --

Yep, I've got that one as well. AFAIK, it's only those two URLs for that site, though there are separate sites for UNIT and Geocomtex (the company from "Dalek").

Noisybast

"...it could be that the Doctor himself is the "Bad Wolf"."

A mate of mine reckons exactly that. Not sure where he got it but...
POSSIBLE, HOWEVER UNLIKELY, SPOILER SPACE
...he reckons The Doctor as we know him is actually The Master, who's nicked the TARDIS and gone joyriding. The real Doctor (presumably Casanova) will turn up at the end to save the day.

Personally, I reckon that's a load of old bollocks, but you just reminded me...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

DavidXBrunt

Can confirm the Bad Wolf reference in 'Winner Takes All' a.k.a. 'Last Starfighter'. Waterstones has a 3 for 2 on which makes the short page count books a more reasonable 4.60 each, or something like that.

Russel T. has stated that alien worlds will feature in season 2. He reckons it's easier to make people care about the stories if they're set in recognisable place with people not too different from themselves. Next year things will be different. Doesn't change the situation but it's deliberate not an oversight.

The Amstor Computer

Forgot to mention...

There were two Bad Wolf references in this ep:

-- The screens in Captain Jack's spaceship briefly displayed wolf pictures

-- Nancy, when talking to the Doctor, made mention of his "big nose" and "big ears". I *think* this was a rather coy reference to Red Riding Hood and the Big, Bad Wolf ("My, what large ears you have" etc.)

I think that was all, unless someone spotted any others.

Dan Kelly

In other news, according to the Press this morning Billie has also quit.

So much for continuity between series....

Dan

House of Usher

God knows what the little kids made of all the zombies in gas masks. It scared me!
STRIKE !!!