Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 17/06/06, 7pm, LOVE & MONSTERS...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 16 June, 2006, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

I wouldn't say Doctor Who jumped the shark at all with that episode.  What was that bad about it, and what was that great about the preceding episodes?

paulvonscott

I would say that the paving slab thing was very strange.  Why would the doctor think that was a good thing to do?  Did we need the ovious gag pointed out?  Couldn't Elton just have put the thing somehwere other than his lap, amd maybe just given her a little kiss instead of treating her like a paperweight.

I enjoyed confidential, just to see the kid who designed it, he seemed well pleased.

paulvonscott

Oh and as she can't age (let's not get into how it works) will we see her in another episode?

VisibleMan

Quite liked this episode though my expectations weren't high.  The flaws didn't seem any worse than in many, but there was enough pathos, character and strangeness to make it worthwhile; it was neither the mess of New Earth nor boredom of Boomtown.  The paving slab was wondefully grotesque, sex joke aside.

Reminds me of a comic strip by Bolland about a woman who has a relationship with a head, whatever that was.

Al_Ewing

Not jumping the shark exactly, but certainly hopping the halibut. For the past several episodes we've had some slam-bang action thrills and old-school Doctor non-Emo-ness, and now there's an episode that's ALL EMO ALL THE TIME and it's kind of put a screeching halt to the momentum. So hopefully next episode will be the jump back, but I'm finding myself unable to take for granted that it'll be cool the way I could with the post-cyberman stuff...
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Quirkafleeg

>This episode has brought out my favourite mad Who theory in a while. Ursula evolves into the Face of Boe.

My theory is Davis is a bit short of ideas given he's now used the 'dissembodied face thing' three times now with Cassandra, Boe and now Paving Slab BJ Women

Floyd-the-k

the five doctors is terrific, loads of fun. Pertwee and Troughton are great, Hurndall does a very good Hartnell impression.
  I was impressed that the Raston Warrior Robot, which is so fast it disapears when it jumps and can go through Cybermen like a hot knife through butter couldn't catch Jon Pertwee

well worth watching. The Master is good too.

opaque

Just caught it on NTL On Demand and I thought it was VERY good.
Of course as soon as the creature is revealed he turns into Peter Kay in a crap suit along with a 'hilarious' chase sequence. But you're going to get that when you decide to have an alien outside in normal lighting, that's why the better bits have been done at night (Gasmask people etc)

But it goes deeper than that. It really made a hell of a lot of sense in terms of his character and also of Jackie and Roses relationship.
It's the little things, the way he said he liked ELO and the way the songs were used, especially Mr Blue Sky when we find out about his mother.
It's not what you'd call a normal Dr Who episode but be honest some of the old ones were just as silly in places, just not outrightly so.

That was a very good piece of tv.

We need more on alien planets and the like though, going to the 2012 Olympics to tie into being able to use Cardiff as an outside location is getting annoying. They did very well the last 2 weeks so why the need to go back again?

SamuelAWilkinson

What a sack of shite. I can't believe they had the gall to even call it Doctor Who.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Adrian Bamforth

"We need more on alien planets and the like though"

Or at least throw in a line about the Tardis being broken...or the Doctor pledging some kind of loyalty to defend Earth, which is did but  immediately ignored it. The annoying thing is that some of the biggest problems can be easily fixed with the odd line.

ADE

Wils

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/hamaliel/abzor.jpg">

Dudley

DavidXBrunt

I would say Hurdnall doesn't do a good Hartnell impression at all but he still somehow manages to be 1st Doctorish.

opaque

There is something else that goes with my arguement for more non-earth stuff. The Doctor was in Elton's past but in his current form, and when he rescued him he was talking in the past tense. So that was something else that Rose was involved with (further enhanced by another change in hair style, V nice btw) but that we're just not going to see.
Considering that theres 3 more episodes and they're all set on Earth it's a bit too much without explanation.

House of Usher

I watched it today, and enjoyed it. If it was crap, it was no more than any of the other crap that's been done so far. For me, the test is whether it was watchable or not. I found it to be one the the most watchable episodes yet.

"The paving slab was wondefully grotesque, sex joke aside." - Yes, but the sex joke added welcome comic relief to what is really quite a horrific fate, and doesn't bear thinking about. (If he propped the paving slab up and she fell on her face, would it hurt?) - and wouldn't she have just been better off being absorbed into the planet?

Why throw in ELO? Is that good writing, or the substitution of a gimmick in place of characterization?

It was all a bit saucy, especially Jackie's attempts to seduce Elton.

Anyway, I liked it.
STRIKE !!!