Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeks

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 February, 2012, 08:16:54 AM
Quote from: Michaelvk on 12 February, 2012, 03:38:35 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 February, 2012, 03:34:30 AM
Quote from: SneakeeX on 12 February, 2012, 03:07:02 AM
going by the chase footage, the skyline is'nt as crowded with grim slum blocks as I thought it would be.

It's 3 seconds of one shot.

Well, if you believe some people that's enough to prove that the film's shit.

I was going to comment on this exchange- but I see SneakeeX has beaten me to it. Joe- you are so bloody spikey about any and all perceived criticism, it's becoming annoying. Even if SneakeeX had inferred some criticism in his post, rather than merely mentioning it as a valid point- why do you feel the need to immediately jump in with one of your one line putdowns? Some people aren't going to like what they see here. I don't. I think the whole thing- from the leaked script to the uniforms, to the tone we're seeing in these clips, to the 70s Starskey & Hutch vibe of that car chase looks absolutely crap. And I can't believe you're forcing me to make that obvious- I'd long ago decided not to put any criticism on this thread, preferring instead to just not go to see the bloody thing, and wait til it's three quid in a bargain bin. But there you go- this is as far removed from any Dredd I recognise or like as to look like it might as well be an Asylum knock off.

So now you can direct your ire at me, rather than people who just pop up with reasonable observations based on their perception of the clips, and don't meet your high standard of film theory and production knowledge.

And that's my last fucking post in this thread, and my last word on a movie I doubt I'll ever see.

SBT

I mean no offence when I say this SBT

But talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face

I just can't get my head round the fact that anyone who has a close affiliation with Dredd like every one of us on this board obviously does..would not be 100% behind this movie..or for that matter..anything 2000ad related/endorsed

I find it frankly mind boggling that you don't put your weight of support behind it..so what if it's not your vision of Dredd..you're that way off missing the point it's shocking
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Pete Wells

Blimey, I've just been to aintitcool, what a bunch of clever people they are! To know so much about a film from 27 seconds of unfinished footage is amazing!

I stupidly then went to land of he-who-shall-not-be-named who, last night had a 'nerdgasm' over the footage, but this morning has posted THREE threads and 11 posts about how shit the film will be and how unfair the world is because Dredd is chasing a van.

Why do I do this to myself?

DrJomster

Quote from: Pete Wells on 12 February, 2012, 08:54:40 AM

To make us smile? :)

Am SO going to see this film, btw. Surprise, eh?
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Waltev

I stupidly then went to land of he-who-shall-not-be-named who, last night had a 'nerdgasm' over the footage,

What land might that be - I'm in the mood for some amusement...

DKCX

Blimey, I've just been to aintitcool, what a bunch of clever people they are! To know so much about a film from 27 seconds of unfinished footage is amazing!

I stupidly then went to land of he-who-shall-not-be-named who, last night had a 'nerdgasm' over the footage, but this morning has posted THREE threads and 11 posts about how shit the film will be and how unfair the world is because Dredd is chasing a van.

Sadomasochism I belive is the term.....  :lol:
Quote from: Michaelvk on 12 February, 2012, 03:38:35 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 February, 2012, 03:34:30 AM
Quote from: SneakeeX on 12 February, 2012, 03:07:02 AM
going by the chase footage, the skyline is'nt as crowded with grim slum blocks as I thought it would be.

It's 3 seconds of one shot.

Well, if you believe some people that's enough to prove that the film's shit.

I was going to comment on this exchange- but I see SneakeeX has beaten me to it. Joe- you are so bloody spikey about any and all perceived criticism, it's becoming annoying. Even if SneakeeX had inferred some criticism in his post, rather than merely mentioning it as a valid point- why do you feel the need to immediately jump in with one of your one line putdowns? Some people aren't going to like what they see here. I don't. I think the whole thing- from the leaked script to the uniforms, to the tone we're seeing in these clips, to the 70s Starskey & Hutch vibe of that car chase looks absolutely crap. And I can't believe you're forcing me to make that obvious- I'd long ago decided not to put any criticism on this thread, preferring instead to just not go to see the bloody thing, and wait til it's three quid in a bargain bin. But there you go- this is as far removed from any Dredd I recognise or like as to look like it might as well be an Asylum knock off.

So now you can direct your ire at me, rather than people who just pop up with reasonable observations based on their perception of the clips, and don't meet your high standard of film theory and production knowledge.

And that's my last fucking post in this thread, and my last word on a movie I doubt I'll ever see.

SBT
While I wouldn't support SBT's view completely, this is forum for open discussion and including critism of the movie. I believe what I said was more observation related rather than critical and was pretty valid.
Look at the end of the day, this is what makes the forum here great is everyone's opinion is respected as long as its backed up with reason. This movie may not be to everyone's liking.
I think the fan reaction has been very positive, it's the general public that has me really worried.  :-\

Just in a barely related note regarding Armande Assante who presented an IFTA award last night.

[urlhttp://www.irishfilmboard.ie/irish_film_industry/news/?id=1855][/url]
QuotePresenting another top IFTA at the 2012 Awards is four-time Golden Globe nominated and Primetime Emmy winning actor Armand Assante, who is known for his portrayal of a chilling mafia don in the 1996 classic Gotti; his starring turn in sci-fi feature film Judge Dredd alongside Sly Stallone; and his performance in Ridley Scott's award winning crime feature American Gangster.  Assante is an Irish/American actor whose late mother's family came from Co. Cork. Speaking about his visit to Ireland Armand said

"My Mother's family hails from County Cork and she came from a large family that mostly still reside in New York. The fact that she just passed away just a few months ago at 90 makes this trip to Ireland very personal for me, in fact I am wondering if she arranged for me to be there, as she absolutely was mad for Ireland and had very deep and lasting relationships with her friends from there."

Didn't realise his half Cork boi! He's a pure feen yu kno! Thas Cork speak like if youre wunderin'.   :D

vzzbux

At least twatto is right about one thing. He does need a life.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Steve Green

I don't have a problem with the night-time shots, but from what I've seen the daytime lawmaster chase is a missed opportunity IMHO.

I've skimmed the script, and that sounded grander in scale than what's depicted here.

I wasn't expecting anything even close to the comic Megacity, but sticking a couple of high-rises in the background with plenty of sky visible isn't really selling the overcrowded warzone look.

It needs a couple more layers of flyovers, and hardly any sky.

I'm guessing they didn't have the choice to shoot it at night either? Even that would have made a big difference.

Still, the judges en-masse look pretty good.

JOE SOAP

I was merely pointing out that it's one shot: It's 3 seconds of one shot. One shot that's unfinished.

I think my observation is reasonable when looking at something that's not intended for the general public or even finished to any degree, this has clearly been pointed out before, nothing's official.

There's more ire in that statement than even I could muster for anyone. I don't really see the point in letting us all know how you don't post on a thread for a film you think is crap and clearly have every intention of hating and then tell us how you're running away in a huff about it. Not that I can't say it's nice knowing how you really feel about it but you can come back.

bigjobs67

Looks to me like just the start of the chase scene. Bet it rocks once it gets goin. keep sayin this but lovin that whole gritty Verhoeven 8O's vibe which I'm hope runs through the whole film.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Darren Stephens

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 12 February, 2012, 10:31:16 AM
Looks to me like just the start of the chase scene. Bet it rocks once it gets goin. keep sayin this but lovin that whole gritty Verhoeven 8O's vibe which I'm hope runs through the whole film.
Yessirree!  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

bigjobs67

TordelBack

It's not surprising that Joe Soap and SBT would have vastly different opinions on the film, since they are probably two of our most knowledgeable and sophisticated cineastes.  But it would be unfortunate if either took umbrage at the other's contributions.  I don't see anything unreasonable in Joe's measured observations on the tiny amount of footage and imagery we have to date (I also have no doubt that if the film fails to deliver Joe will rip the guts out of it), and I don't see anything unreasonable in Steev's instant dislike of the style and tone that the material seen so far conveys.

My only real interest in a film adaptation is how it plays into the fortunes of Rebellion and 2000AD - as a reader I care about the comic's future a lot , it turns out, but as a viewer a Dredd film is just (hopefully) a bit of fun.

Anyway, on the subject of citi-blocks, the visibly high density of MC-1 had never squared with its vast area (even when trimmed of the southern sectors, as many a Space Maths thread has attested.  If you're going to have huge self-contained blocks, they are going to be well spaced, or clustered with lots of space between clusters.  I'd imagine that space would largely be filled with low-rise urban wasteland (where not used for necessary support services and industry) - a concreted-over New York doesn't make any sense either. 

So if you are going the 'realistic' route, as this adaptation clearly is, a truly crazy packed skyline would mean a much smaller Tokyo/Manhattan/Hong Kong MC-1.  A grim sprawl interspersed with towering residential blocks to accommodate the influx and increase of the post-apocalyptic population makes good visual sense (and it looks like Cam Kennedy's city to me too, so that gets three thumbs up here).  It also allows the movie exteriors to be shot in real-world locations with lightly composited background, which is what makes it feasible at all.

That isn't to say that I wouldn't much rather see a zany high-tech illogical alien-rich MC-1, but that clearly wasn't going to happen - the Stallone abomination was what happened when they employed a budget that would allow something close to that, and I wouldn't personally be troubling the box office if that was what was coming.   

Bat King

Got to say it is a shame to see people actually arguing on the board. People's opinions differ, that is a simple fact of life. Sine 2000ad fans wI'll love this film and some won't.

Given the Stallone debacle I can't blame anyone for feeling nervous about this one.

I am nervous, but nervous excited. Station's film didn't,t do that for me. I didn't like the publicity & I didn't go see it. When I watched it on tv I gave it every chance, watched open minded. It stank (as a Dredd film). Some people like that film, some big Dredd fans.

My friends are enjoying ribbing me about the upcoming film. Saying everything they know wI'll get a reaction. I can shout n Abel n sulk with my friends because we have been friends so long. We don't only have text to go by when reacting to what someone has said. I will have to ensure if they go to the cinema with me that one of them isn't next to me or he'll pass comment under his breath just to annoy me.

But that is friends. People I know from years of shared lifetime experience. People my kids see as family, they are closer to one than they are to my brother.

This is a forum of people that like the sane comic. We don't all know each other, though some if you do obviously know some better than others and sine have met up (it seems in some cases many times). This should be a place for sharing enjoyment, not breeding discord.

And I am sick of hearing about someone not in thud board and how it is great he isn't here. Seems he has won if he gets so much inchage in print.

Anyway. I am nervously positive about this film. I will be at first showing locally if possible. I think I would rather see 2d first, nit bug in 3d now I have seen a few. Probably it wI'll only be in 3d on day one, that is what my local cinema usually do. Either way, day one I plan to be there and I hope to come out having enjoyed it.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

bigjobs67

I'm gonna go all out.IMAX. Manchester. Slap bang in the middle but right @ the back in those posh seats. A little bit pissed and a little bit high and yeah, in 3D. (Not a big fan but It's filmed in it, soooo). :thumbsup: