Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 April, 2020, 01:13:07 PM
The missus has been pressuring me to watch this one. Can't Hemsworth think why.

Its because of the awesome acting, the deep story-line and the Oscar award directing.......
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Keef Monkey

One Cut of The Dead on Shudder is fantastic, but because I went into it knowing nothing very little about the premise I'm really wary to describe it to anyone because I don't want to rob them of how enjoyable it was to go in cold like that! What I will say is that the way it starts out feels very generic (film crew get attacked by zombies while shooting a film about zombies) with seemingly the only really interesting aspect being the gimmick that it's all one (very impressive) continuous shot (and a proper continuous shot, seemingly without all that 1917 editing magic) BUT then it takes one of the smartest turns I've seen in a film and the rest of it was fantastic.

For people who have seen it, [spoiler]what a great and unique way to structure a zombie comedy eh? By having the finished product at the outset and then giving you the context that makes all of that amusing in retrospect it meant the comedy worked in a really unusual way that I found really refreshing, hilarious and very warm and uplifting[/spoiler], which really isn't the film it started out as at all. So I do feel like if I'm recommending it I should tell people to push past the intro if they're not feeling it! Certainly my wife checked out and went to bed thinking it was just the kind of zombie flick she'd seen a hundred times, and I can imagine many doing the same.

Also watched The Wandering Earth, a bonkers Chinese sci-fi disaster movie on Netflix where the initial premise is that the sun is going to destroy the Earth so they basically strap rockets around the planet to drive it somewhere else. Obviously things go wrong, and they go wrong in massive epic spectacular style and I loved it. Not sure how the science holds up but don't particularly care, I was on board for a visually amazing thrill ride and definitely got it.

repoman

OCoTD is wonderful.  I'd urge everyone to watch it without reading anything.  And prepare for the first third to seem awful

TordelBack

Spirited Away. Fan-fecking-tactic. Splendid movie that feels simultaneously 10 minutes long and a lifetime spent in a whole involving world. Every shot, every character is a joy, and constantly trusting the audience to join the dots.

Professor Bear

Quote from: broodblik on 27 April, 2020, 01:06:04 PM
Anyone who likes violent over-the-top action movies will enjoy Extraction currently showing on Netflix

I'm sure I will watch the rest of it at some point, but ten minutes into this, I was reminded of that old Judge Dredd story where he and another judge are working crowd control at a parade commemorating the end of the Apocalypse War, and one of them says something along the lines of "I think half of these clowns are celebrating the start of the war", and this strikes me as an accurate summation of Hollywood's relationship with 911.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Apestrife on 25 April, 2020, 07:38:43 PM
Oh boy, watched Videodrome today. A nightmare take on the media trifecta of sex/violence/paranoia. Reminded me of The manchurian candidate, They live and Eraserhead. Was quite the trip, to say the least. Every bit as brilliant as well. 

Are there more Cronenberg movies like it?

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5cLj6L6zvo

I've long found Cronenberg a fascinating film-maker, and possibly his nearest to Videodrome, certainly from the biology-machine interface perspective, is Existenz, which I think Cronenberg himself described as a comedy. It's a while since I've seen it and some scenes still stick in my head which I don't think any other film-maker could have pulled off without them seeming ridiculous. No spoilers though.

shaolin_monkey

I just found out that James Horner, who famously composed the Wrath of Khan soundtrack I waxed lyrical about earlier in this thread, also composed the music for ALIENS!!

I had no idea!!

So that's going straight on my downloads to listen to while I work.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 28 April, 2020, 10:03:44 AM
I just found out that James Horner, who famously composed the Wrath of Khan soundtrack I waxed lyrical about earlier in this thread, also composed the music for ALIENS!!

I had no idea!!

So that's going straight on my downloads to listen to while I work.

The soundtrack to Alien is sooo good. Well the whole.. sound thing ... all of the sound and yuour mention of it makes me really want to watch it again... even though I've got so much new stuff to watch... must resist... must resist...

Keef Monkey

Alien and Aliens both have soundtracks that I can't hear without being completely transported, those sounds are just embedded with so many amazing movie memories. So special! I know the films aren't as well regarded, but I also enjoy listening to the Prometheus and Covenant soundtracks from time to time, the music in those films is also excellent and have some wonderful themes.

Just watched Pi for the first time and it was good but I possibly went in expecting too much. Watching it for the first time now it has the weight of everything incredible Aronofsky and Mansell have both done since and while (for me) it doesn't reach the heights of my their best work it is interesting to see the beginnings of that brilliance.

Also, after missing the social interaction of a beer and a film with pals me and a friend jumped on a Zoom chat and had a synced watch of Arena, a cheesy space boxing film I used to rent on VHS as a kid. It was great fun, mainly for the beer and banter but it was definitely the right film for the right situation.

von Boom

Just finished Tomorrowland once more. Great viewing with a positive message to keep me from getting too down in the mouth. For me, it's Clooney's best role since From Dusk till Dawn.

Colin YNWA

Bad Land - Road to Fury

So as the title suggests this seemed to be low budget B movie, designed to pull in folks who like Mad Max and weren't averse to watching a cheaper rip off... so traling through Amazon Prime a wee while ago I stumbled across it and added to my watch list, this fully intending to drop in when I fancied something schlocky and rubbish, watch half of it and dismiss it... watched the trailer and that kinda turned my head as it looked interesting - but again thought it was playing a hand with little it in very well.

So watched it tonight to discover the name is misleading, while it does elude to a world that might becomes Mad Max's world in a few years, its original name Young Ones - Bad Land is its UK release name, I imagine as Young Ones has too many connotations here - is more fitting what I get is a wonderful sevenities revenge western, with a modern sensiblity and a robot that's as emotive as the two in 'Silent Running'. Its wonderfully performed, fantastically shot and a visual treat, if barren and stark. Much like its plot. Its fantastic.

Quite why no one else seems to like it I genuinely don't know. Its gets a rubbish scores on all the aggregaters and I just can't figure out why. Its a bleak treat and if you have Amazon Prime I can't recommend it enough.

Bolt-01

Quote from: von Boom on 28 April, 2020, 08:43:28 PM
Just finished Tomorrowland once more. Great viewing with a positive message to keep me from getting too down in the mouth. For me, it's Clooney's best role since From Dusk till Dawn.

I just love this film. I know it's far from perfect, but I love the 'feel' of it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 29 April, 2020, 01:07:59 PM
I just love this film. I know it's far from perfect, but I love the 'feel' of it.

Likewise.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Darkman.

I hadn't seen this since renting it on VHS in the early 90s.
A really enjoyable, fun, comic book style film. It's much better than I remembered. It's a pretty simple tale of revenge with some horror elements and humour. Liam Neason in full on crazy mode is great fun - he should do more stuff like this.

Rately

Quote from: JamesC on 29 April, 2020, 02:25:18 PM
Darkman.

I hadn't seen this since renting it on VHS in the early 90s.
A really enjoyable, fun, comic book style film. It's much better than I remembered. It's a pretty simple tale of revenge with some horror elements and humour. Liam Neason in full on crazy mode is great fun - he should do more stuff like this.

Recently re-watched it, and couldn't;'t agree more.

Sam Raimi gets so much out of everyone in the movie, the crew and what could have been an utter car wreck of a movie is made into something with a lot of heart, and some lovely set-pieces and moments of almost surreal humour.

Will be intriguing to see what he does with a Marvel property, especially in a movie system that doesn't seem to gel very well with maverick film makers with unique voices and styles.