Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 November, 2018, 10:58:17 AM
Prof might not but I will! Starcrash is crazy, bonkers and inept in a way only and italian knock off could be and I freaking adore it.

I won't have a word said against Star Crash. Well, not since I met Luigi Cozzi at the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome (where he often tends the till) and we had a great conversation about Contamination and Star Crash and then he signed some books I was buying.

A thoroughly decent man banging out a Star Wars clone for little/ no money but with his tongue firmly in his cheek.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Professor Bear on 03 November, 2018, 02:53:26 PM
Starcrash is terrible, Tips, why would you waste your time watching bad films when there are so many good films out there?

I can do both.

Watched Three Billboards in Ebbing, Missouri last night.

Superb!

Professor Bear

A Monster Calls is a carbon copy of I Kill Giants: a movie adaptation of a book about a child coming to terms with the terminal condition of their mother through encounters with a giant monster that may or may not be real depending on how you interpret the story.  I checked and the original publication of I Kill Giants predates A Monster Calls' first printing by three years, and to add insult to injury the movie version of AMC covers the material better and even features similar scenes, so that Three Act Structure For Dummies book is clearly a good investment for budding screenwriters.
A Monster Calls has some serious problems, particularly some reveals being really funny rather than poignant - the bit where the camera suddenly reveals that the kid has trashed his granny's house is comic timing that a sitcom director would be proud of, but it's meant to be a serious "OMG" moment, while some of the bits with the kid and the monster in the graveyard are like a pastiche of a Hollywood movie.
The film does its final reveal well, though, and isn't afraid to embrace whimsy like IKG was.  Okay, but overlong.

JamesC

I also watched 3 Billboards. Really enjoyed it but the ending was rubbish. It just stopped. I hate it when they do that in films. I was also a bit weirded out by Woody Harrelson's wife looking about thirty years younger than him.

I also just watched Bram Stoker's Dracula. I loved it. I'd never seen it before but I loved how they gave it a sort of 'Hammer' look and Dracula's powers were really weird and creepy. Loved how his shadow moved independently, a really cool effect.

The Legendary Shark

I loved the ending of 3 Billboards, just like life where the story never ends (or really begins) and that last smile from Frances McDormand just lit up the screen for me. I think that smile was what the whole story led up to so there was no need for any more in my view.

I strongly agree with what you say about Bram Stoker's Dracula as well - a supremely good take on the story - properly atmospheric and very creepy, I especially loved the scene where Big D transforms himself into rats. (Might have to watch that again, now!)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Bram Stoker's Dracula is awful, awful stuff. But I love it all. Even Keanu.

I once enthusiastically recommended it as the closest adaptation of the book to a very cultured senior academic while somewhat drunk; he took my advice, and never looked me in the eye again.

DrRocka

Bohemian Rhapsody - it's cliched, generic, gets everything in the wrong order and misses out all the interesting bits, but by grud, me and mini Rocka loved every minute. An absolute powerhouse performance from the lead (and the guy playing Brian May is just a clone of the man), an it's the second time now that "Who Wants To Live Forever" has made me shed a tear during a movie. So long as you're not a complete Queen hater, this is just a GREAT night out in the cinema.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 November, 2018, 03:30:16 PM
Bram Stoker's Dracula is awful, awful stuff. But I love it all. Even Keanu.

I once enthusiastically recommended it as the closest adaptation of the book to a very cultured senior academic while somewhat drunk; he took my advice, and never looked me in the eye again.
The most accurate adaptation will always be Count Dracula courtesy of the beeb, with Louise Jourdan as the Count.

I'm fond of many versions of Stokers tome, but more keen on pastiche movies that utilise the Count for original, and sometime delirious, results. The Hammer sequels, Blacula, or Count Draculas Great Loves (basically Dorian Gray with a vampire).

von Boom

Dad's Army. I didn't bother when it was released, but I so wanted it to be good. Best leave it there.

Funt Solo

An interesting weekend double bill of The Spy Who Dumped Me and Blade Runner 2049.

Cartoon violence, plot holes and illogical villains aside, I really enjoyed both of them.  The Spy Who Dumped Me was way more entertaining than the last Bond movie I watched, and had at least one tea-splatter laugh.

2049 was good - a very good movie.  But I didn't understand the need for the Jared Leto character.  I don't get why he's so carelessly wasteful.  And why visit the person at the end?  Isn't that dangerous given that everyone's been magically tracked at all earlier points? 

Still, it's way better than a Blade Runner sequel has any right to be.  I'd have said it was impossible to make a good sequel to that all these years later, and look!  Edward James Olmos gets a look in as well.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

edgeworthy

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 03 November, 2018, 03:11:26 PM
StarCrash is bad but it has best space-helmet ever (which I believe is a water-tank of some sort).

And don't forget David Hasselhoff's Man-Perm!

Sinx

Bohemian Rhapsody - An opportunity missed to do a really interesting film but sort of comes across as if it were a feature length Hollyoaks episode. The actors look and play the parts well but the dialogue is mostly cliched and stilted. I was pleased with myself when I recognised Mark Martell as being the singer whose voice they used to replicate the Freddie singing parts. 3/5
Halloween - They locked away Michael Myers to study him and try and understand his relentless desire to kill. I would be more interested in understanding his relentless recuperative powers being that he's had a fair old beating in the last thirty years and is still walking around like a man half his age ... maybe he's Wolverine in disguise. Always a problem when they try and apply logical timeline to slasher fantasy. OK entertainment. 3/5

Dandontdare

Quote from: Sinx on 07 November, 2018, 03:41:49 PM
relentless recuperative powers being that he's had a fair old beating in the last thirty years and is still walking around like a man half his age

This film is supped to be a sequel to the original and Halloweens 2 onward never happened.

The Legendary Shark

Pompeii. Jack Bauer and John Snow try to hack lumps out of each other with swords completely undeterred by the fact that the top's come off the local mountain and loads of fire's squirting out of it.

A total waste of eyesight.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Total waste of ink as well.