Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Just found out I have won my first public-sector contract in almost three years, due to start at the beginning of January. 

It's for buttons, but everything else I've done since has either been the miserable arse-end of something from a former life, helping out someone else in the vague hope of minimum wage, doing stupid jobs for family members (-shudder-), has come to nothing, hasn't paid out at all and/or has actually cost me money.  This gig will also hopefully cement my current strivings for local enterprise grants and for a tax-clearance cert, which will allow me to actually do something.

Still got the real prospect of personal bankruptcy hanging over me from almost two years ago, which has been making me feel there was no point even trying to do anything businesswise until it was all resolved, but the courts are grinding so unbelievably slowly that I just can't leave my life in suspended animation any longer.  At least this way maybe when the time comes I'll be able to convince a court that I'm trying to get into a position to repay as much as I can of what I owe.  Course with my luck I'll get my day in court the very same day this contract starts. 

I started this year in the absolute deepest pit of despair, avoiding everyone I knew and actively scheming as to how my life insurance could solve everything for everyone*, so starting next year with an actual fecking job, and the hope of more to come, can only be an improvement. 

Onwards!

*This of course being a consequence of severe depression, and not rational thought, but try telling me that at the time.

Hawkmumbler

Tordels these posts make me feel so much better about the uncertain world we currently live in and give me endless hope that my current predicament will be swept away by an opportunity soon. If the internet had hands I would warmly shake yours. Your a true gem.

Old Tankie

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2013, 02:32:49 PM
Just found out I have won my first public-sector contract in almost three years, due to start at the beginning of January.
Great stuff Tordelback. Now the wait for the bastards to pay the invoices can start!
We never really die.

TordelBack

Trout

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 December, 2013, 02:32:49 PMOnwards!

And upwards!

Great news, TB - fingers crossed that this pans out and leads to bigger and better things.

Banners

Great stuff, TB - hopefully a new beginning!

von Boom

Great news TB I hope things only get better from here for you and yours.

TordelBack

Stop with your niceness, you're all dooming me with ironic foreshadowing! 

Nah, thanks very much.  It's a small step for anyone, but a giant leap for me, as someone or other once didn't say.  Just hope it doesn't end with a variant of Nixon's "some corner of another world that is forever mankind" speech.   

GrinningChimera

I woke up this morning and emailed 3 places. The first was the 2000ad online store after not receiving my order I placed on November 13. The 2nd was a local company called JB Hifi who I ordered They Live on bluray from about 12 days ago and the 3rd is a company called Mighty Ape who I ordered some Simpsons and Futurama dvds from in their big sale last week who usually do overnight delivery.

WELL

After emailing them all this morning...I get home at lunchtime to find that my order from the online store has arrived. I open my emails and I have 2 dispatch notices from both companies telling me that my orders will arrive tomorrow.

So great that everything is on its way/here. Bad because I feel like a twat for emailing these people and saying that nothing has arrived yet.

Rant kinda over. 

Dunk!

The NHS.

As a long term user when it all works and you have kind, understanding, professional staff dealing with your silly worries, ya just gotta take a moment to realise amongst the billions of folks on this planet you're a lucky sod.
"Trust we"

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dunk! on 03 December, 2013, 09:00:29 AM
The NHS.

As a long term user when it all works and you have kind, understanding, professional staff dealing with your silly worries, ya just gotta take a moment to realise amongst the billions of folks on this planet you're a lucky sod.
This. Some people don't realise that unlike our colonial cousins we don't have to pay for a basic human right.

Theblazeuk

Ironically the people who would suffer the most from it being withdrawn are the idiots who complain about it the loudest. A diabetic I knew once went on a long rant about how shit the NHS was and I had to point out that, as someone who was pretty much a dosser who made a less-than-living wage by half-arsedly selling pot and had a part-time minimum wage job as a waitrose cleaner at best, he probably wouldn't like a commercially based health system very much. Of course in his head he was probably thinking about how it wouldn't be a problem for him once his DJ career took off.

Life is sometimes sort of ok because my Dad gave me his old phone, which is actually quite a nice new phone, and has the capability of running 'Zombies RUN' - which is a great app that I am heartily enjoying. Hope no one sees me looking over my shoulder as I sprint away from the imaginary zombies chasing me.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 03 December, 2013, 01:03:30 PM

Life is sometimes sort of ok because my Dad gave me his old phone, which is actually quite a nice new phone, and has the capability of running 'Zombies RUN' - which is a great app that I am heartily enjoying. Hope no one sees me looking over my shoulder as I sprint away from the imaginary zombies chasing me.

Aw man, that game nearly killed me several times - I'd be at traffic lights waiting to cross, and then I'd hear the groaning of the zombies getting ever closer!  It made me dash across early sometimes, but in the end realised that way led to an early death, so instead jogged down to the next set of lights.  It sometimes added 5-10 mins to my normal journey, even running a lot!! 

On the plus side, a normally 40 min walk from Splott to Grangetown was sometimes reduced to 15 mins if I had loads of the buggers on my tail!!!