Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 01/07/06, 7pm, ARMY OF GHOSTS...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 01 July, 2006, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARRISARRIS

The Amstor Computer

Really looking forward to this, if only in the hope that it lets the second series go out on a high, erasing the memory of the last two duff episodes.

Some interesting SPOILERS...

SPOILER SPACE

...more pics showing the episode have been cropping up, and along with the return of Alternate Pete Tyler and Mickey, there are more shots of a black Dalek.

The previews are all making mention of the sphere - apparently dubbed a "Void Ship" - being featured in the cliffhanger, opening to reveal... something? It doesn't seem to be the case that the Cybermen are travelling in the Void Ship, but who else could be using it?

Buddy

The Amstor Computer

Heh, not bad at all.

A far more old-school approach to this episode, and for me it worked wonders. I'm not at all sure that Daleks vs Cybermen is going to work all that well, but I must admit to a little fanboy shiver seeing the Daleks - led by a Supreme Dalek? - emerging from the Void Ship.

Roll on next week!

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, liked that. Tennant impressed in the quiet moments.

Bico

That bit at the start with all the tv shows with ghosts was embarrassing to watch.  Someone wrote that, sent it to the actors, who practiced it, while set-builders built sets and the director went about making plans for the scenes - AND AT NO POINT DID SOMEONE SAY "THAT'S A LOAD OF SHIT".  Frightening, and everything that gets my goat about the Americanised Buffy clone that Who has become.
Got better after that, but then it'd be hard not to.  Maybe that was the writer's cunning plan all along.

The Amstor Computer

...which is why he - or the director/producer? - would keep his performance keyed down a notch or two. He makes for a far more commanding figure when he's not pulling faces and doing daft things with his voice.

Wils

I must admit to a little fanboy shiver seeing the Daleks

Heh. Whereas that moment garnered an "Oh. Fuck. Off" from me.

I thought the episode was pretty cringeworthy in the most part with bit-part actors obviously appearing courtesy of the British Forestry Commission along with some *really* embarassing bits from Tennant ("Ghostbusters!"). Cybermen vs Daleks is in very dire danger of being just like the abortion that was Aliens vs Predator...with mankind trapped in the middle!

Bico

Didn't the producers of the original Who series say they'd never, ever do a Daleks vs Cybermen story on the basis that it might be too expensive, and the day they did, it would be the day they officially ran out of ideas?

The Amstor Computer

Ah, well. As I say, I remain to be convinced that RTD & Co. can make Cybermen vs Daleks work - assuming that's the plan, given the pre-finale hype about "two mighty armies battling across Earth" - and the delight at seeing the Daleks comes more from me being a massive fan of the creatures.

Not really too fussed about the daft telly shows at the beginning - the only one that I thought was badly misjudged was the Eastenders skit - as they made sense within the story.

Some pretty good performances from the main characters - though as Wils says, some of the bit part actors were pretty ropey - and I particularly liked the gruesome new earpod the Cybermen were installing.

Could all go to shit next week, but until then...

Jim_Campbell

"I thought the episode was pretty cringeworthy in the most part "

Not as bad as the snippet from next week:

"Daleks plus Cybermen ... we could upgrade the UNIVERSE!"

Oh ... Mr Tennant ... would you mind jumping over this shark one more time? I don't think everyone got it the last time ...

Bah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Amstor Computer

Oh, and mind the spoilers for next week, please. I think there are quite a few people who switch off before the trailer - me included.

:-)

Adrian Bamforth

"That bit at the start with all the tv shows with ghosts was embarrassing to watch"

That's what RTD does with every Earth invasion episode - convey it via TV clips.

Lazy.

ADE

Wils

S P O I L E R S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Doctor Who
"Doomsday"

The end of an epic journey, as two mighty armies wage war across the Earth, with the human race caught in the middle. But as an unstoppable terror emerges from beneath Torchwood, the Doctor faces an even greater dilemma - does saving the world mean the death of Rose Tyler?

Guest stars: Tracy-Ann Oberman and Henry Winkler

Quirkafleeg

That was so good I almost forgot the football...

Losts of nice things in that (like the mummy at the edge of frame) to make up for the usual crap bits (Ghostbusters... dear oh dear) and mega-obvious forshadowing...

Still hopefully it will all finish with a bang, Torch Wood! (you see what I did there!)