Main Menu

Prog 1928 - Adding local Colour

Started by A.Cow, 25 April, 2015, 02:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Great cover, busy but bold and impactful.

Dredd: The 'To Be Continued' threw me a bit considering how much things were building to something terrible, but in a way it's great because it's planted the seed of something sinister to come for the city. Have loved this story, looks incredible and the writing has done a great job of building the tension and uneasiness. It's the sign of a really great Dredd tale when you're totally absorbed and hanging on every episode but pages and pages can go by without the big man himself making an appearance. Really thought this was going to be a Dredd-less episode and didn't care. Brilliant.

Orlok: Unfortunately I still haven't clicked with this, the tone just hasn't landed for me or something. It's spoofing Tank Girl and Neighbours and I dunno, some other stuff. It just feels quite messy to me and isn't really generating any laughs or excitement for me.

Slaine: Looks great, the page of Slaine's dad in the afterlife was particularly grim. Haven't been invested in the storyline for Slaine in many years so mainly just in it for the artwork and the battles, and the combination of those in this series is getting my interest again.

Grey Area: Felt for the wee fella when he riled up the big beasty, so was really enjoyable to see Grey Area man (I can't do names good) step in and stick up for him. Always nice to see a bully get what's coming to them, hopefully the fight swings in their favour.

Strontium Dog: Lovely artwork as always, great action too. I've forgotten why anything is happening but that's my problem and I'm totally fine with that. Was a bit surprised by Alpha having some rumpy, just because I can't remember him ever being too bothered about that sort of thing before, too pre-occupied with his tasks at hand I guess. Makes perfect sense though once I'd gotten over the initial surprise, nice to see him have a nice day for once!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 April, 2015, 01:55:02 PM
Was a bit surprised by Alpha having some rumpy, just because I can't remember him ever being too bothered about that sort of thing before, too pre-occupied with his tasks at hand I guess. Makes perfect sense though once I'd gotten over the initial surprise, nice to see him have a nice day for once!

He was indulging in a bit of the other during The Mork Whisperer, too.
@jamesfeistdraws

Anzati

Anyone picked this up from a branch of WH Smiths? The one in Huntingdon didn't have any this morning...only the second time that has happened in the last two years (the other being when the Summer Special was released as they seemed to have that instead).

Greg M.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 April, 2015, 02:00:47 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 April, 2015, 01:55:02 PM
Was a bit surprised by Alpha having some rumpy, just because I can't remember him ever being too bothered about that sort of thing before, too pre-occupied with his tasks at hand I guess. Makes perfect sense though once I'd gotten over the initial surprise, nice to see him have a nice day for once!

He was indulging in a bit of the other during The Mork Whisperer, too.

Johnny's always had his earthy side. Plenty of women, mutant and otherwise, have found him attractive - and vice versa. Even during 'Rage', his darkest hour, he still manages to get a snog. True, he's not Nikolai Dante but he's no Joe Dredd either.

ZenArcade

Still reading this week's Dredd and back referencing it....I knew it was going to be good; but never this good. I am in twists and twines of sheer delight over this strip. Brilliant! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Zenith 666

Wagners going to kill Dredd off next week Z so you'll never get to see the outcome mwaahahaha!!!

ZenArcade

I wouldn't worry he killed J Alpha off and look at the years of shite.....sorry fun we've had with the resurrection of that. :-) Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Zenith 666

I loved life and death and the only dud part was the killing off of whatever possessed him.i was waiting for a big reveal.the Stix fix is great.

James Stacey

It was Alan Grant who killed off Alpha wasn't it? Not John Wagner

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 29 April, 2015, 11:08:13 PM
I loved life and death and the only dud part was the killing off of whatever possessed him.i was waiting for a big reveal.

Aye, that was a bit odd. It was a fascinating sub-plot that never really came to anything. We weren't even told what the little critter was before it had been written out and never mentioned again.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: James Stacey on 30 April, 2015, 12:12:41 PM
It was Alan Grant who killed off Alpha wasn't it? Not John Wagner

Alan Grant wrote The Final Solution but Wagner had been wanting to kill off Alpha for years. When asked about his role in Alpha's death, Wagner says he must have approved it but can't remember.

Leigh S

I don't think theres any evidence to suggest Wagner wanted to kill off Alpha - it appears that at the time the story was written killing him off he had become detached from the strip, but I suspect he was a bit disillusioned with a lot of the comics industry at that point in general, having just broken up the writing partnership / becoming increasingly annoyed at the lack of reward for the exploitation of Dredd and the rest of his strips.

Frank

Everyone here should be made to memorise and recite these incredible interviews at special Madrasas set up by Tharg in the tribal regions of Betelgeuse:

QuoteJohn, more than me, was tiring of Strontium Dog. He really wanted to kill Johnny off, but not in a rush. So killing Wulf came first, which led to one of our best Stront stories, "Rage". I think it inspired Carlos, too, because his art was superb on the series.

When we split our partnership, I took Strontium Dog. Knowing John wanted him dead, so nobody could ever write the character again (ha, some hopes!), I finished him off.

http://web.archive.org/web/20140103172011/http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/features/interviews/2005/grant/grant5.shtml

QuoteLOGAN: Carlos Ezquerra never accepted Johnny's death as part of Strontium Dog continuity, How did you feel about him being killed off?

WAGNER: I can't remember if I co-wrote Johnny's last story; I think Alan may have done that one on his own. I could check the red book, I suppose - no matter, I must have agreed to it happening.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130615191107/http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79/jw_interview.htm

Leigh S

Alan Grant has given multiple reasons for killing off Alpha, from needing to cut down his work load after a health scare to stopping others getting their hands on the character. That's not to say Alan is misremembering, but that is a comparatively recent interview compared to others where he had a range of reasons - of course, maybe the further from the act the more honest he feels he can be about it, so fairs fair.  I always remember reading (though cant ever find it - thought it was a Titan book intro?) that Ezquerra only signed on to do stront if he could be guaranteed 10 years as the main artist on it?  That ties in with the death, bbyut doesnt explain why he didnt draw it (other than the lure of Crisis of course).   

Wagner has always remained pretty quiet on the issue, citing a lack of recall whenever he has been asked ( as that quote suggests)

A.Cow

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 April, 2015, 12:21:40 PM
Quote from: Zenith 666 on 29 April, 2015, 11:08:13 PM
I loved life and death and the only dud part was the killing off of whatever possessed him.i was waiting for a big reveal.
Aye, that was a bit odd. It was a fascinating sub-plot that never really came to anything. We weren't even told what the little critter was before it had been written out and never mentioned again.

I was just re-reading 'The Moses Incident' (which, by coincidence, is about resurrection and shows a nasty side of Johnny Alpha) and wondered if the mysterious critter might have had something to do with [spoiler]Malak Brood, last seen crumbling to dust[/spoiler]...