Main Menu

Current Population of Mega City One...?

Started by El Spurioso, 24 October, 2007, 11:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Spurioso

Wils

I'm not exactly sure if there's a current 'official' number, although I still have 800,000,000 in my head, which is probably *massively* out of date.

DavidXBrunt

Funt Solo

I thought it was 800,000,000 prior to the Apocalypse War, which halved it to 400,000,000.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

jimmibo

Judge Dredd has obviously travelled back in time, and is working undercover as Dan "Hollywood" Henderson in the Ultimate Fighting Championship.  There's no mistaking that chin...http://www.edge9.com/artwork/dan.jpg">

TordelBack

Yup, 400 mill would be my reading too - it occasionally creeps up higher, but Necropolis (30 million, wasn't it?), Judgement Day, Sin City, Total War and so forth keep trimming it back.

El Spurioso

Funt Solo

And MC-1, post-Apocalypse, according to Gibson:

http://www.amenable.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MC1.jpg" />
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

worldshown

I'm sure I've seen a 420 million, but I couldn't say when or what story.

IndigoPrime

400 million after the Apocalypse War, as has already been said, but Death wiped out 60 million in Necropolis, and large as MC-1 is, I doubt that figure would have been replenished significantly yet, especially when the various other disasters are taken into account. I'd guess around 350-360 at the mo'. I wonder what Wagner thinks (or if he even cares about such things).

Funt Solo

It might be the last panel of Twilight's Last Gleaming, from prog 756.

IIRC, Dredd is sitting astride his lawmaster, looking out over the city - and that's one of the times he gives his "a city of x million people, each one a potential perp, but grud help me, I love it" speech.

This is a job for Logan & His Magic Scanner.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

worldshown

Just checked in my copy of 'Democracy Now!'. That panel is a quote from 2100 giving the population as 800 million.

Dudley

Just realised that MC-1 must have a population mostly aged under 30.

Funt Solo

::"Mega-City One, a megalopolis of over 400 million people across the east coast of the United States, features in the Judge Dredd comic, serialised in 2000 AD."

From "megacity" on wikipedia.

---

Assuming a population growth rate of 2%, post-Apocalypse, you've got 400 million, with 8 million being added each year from then until Necropolis.

That's approx. 400 + 64 = 464.

Necropolis then kills off 60 million, so we're back to 400-ish, and assumed growth up to this year would be:

400 + 136 = 536 million

However, as was said, there's Judgement Day - there must have been a high death toll, there - Total War nuked out a few sectors.  Did Sin City's infection spread to the city?  I thought it was contained?  

We're looking for about 100 million deaths to get it to 400, 420.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

badboy

I'm fascinated at how interested I am on facts like these, good work guys! So around 500 mil then?