Main Menu

Is seven inches enough?

Started by Martin Jameson, 20 July, 2012, 04:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 July, 2012, 11:05:22 AM
HMV are currently selling some kind of tablet for £128, or thereabouts, in a promotion at the front of the store. Any opinions?

It's pretty underpowered. Probably good enough for web browsing and e-books. Might be OK for e-comics. Won't be great for games or hi-definition video.

And the 8gb Nexus 7 is only about 30 quid more...

SmallBlueThing

It would only be web browsing, books and comics id be interested in, to be honest. Im not into games, and prefer to watch films on the telly. If it would allow me to read comics, they've got a sale, maybe. £130 is a lot of money to spend on anything- a 'better' one being thirty quid more doesnt matter, as £160 is out of my range, im afraid.

Id need to see a review of how it copes with comics before buying though- and if i can stick a storage device to it.

SBT

Pyroxian

The specs for the HMV one are here:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=2554;16;-1;-1;-1&sku=707650

Says it will do 1080p video though (despite only having a 1024 x 600 screen, which isn't even 720p :D ). That screen res won't be great for reading comics on at a 10" screen size though - its probably about a 120dpi resolution.

Does have capacity to add a micro SD card for extra storage though.

IndigoPrime

Looking at those specs, I wouldn't bother, frankly. The screen is the thing you'll be interacting with, and that one's going to be crap for reading/comics. Stick with paper until better devices are more affordable.

SmallBlueThing

Cheers guys, you saved me some cash. I figured it wouldnt be any good at that price.

SBT

Emperor

My auntie was thinking of a tablet for a bit of email, web surfing, possibly Skype, etc. nothing intensive and I found this, which looks like it'll do the job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-FUSION5-Tablet-PC-Capacitive/dp/B007SHWKFQ/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

rog

Yeah as people have said there are Android tablets with same size screens as the iPad and I'd agree it's a better size for reading comics on.

I'm using an Android myself and it's great for this, none of the restrictions or hassles of an iPad and I can plug it in to my PC (or my Macbook which incidentally frustrates the hell out of me) and just dump stuff on it without the hassles and nonsense of iTunes. With Android you can use your device like an extra hard drive when attached to your computer so transferring stuff is dead easy and storage can be expanded up to 32GB (IIRC) via SD card and/or you can use USB as well, both which are not options on the iPad. Completely flexible basically and they are typically cheaper (if only a little for the best) than the iPad. For me the choice of Android was a no brainer to be honest and I don't regret it one bit!

One thing I would say is if your going for one that runs the latest version of Android (Ice Cream Sandwich) buy a device with dual processing, ICS is designed for this and it makes a hell of a difference to speed and stability of the device.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Emperor on 28 July, 2012, 02:59:30 AM
My auntie was thinking of a tablet for a bit of email, web surfing, possibly Skype, etc. nothing intensive and I found this, which looks like it'll do the job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A1CS-FUSION5-Tablet-PC-Capacitive/dp/B007SHWKFQ/

Hey, that could be just the think I'm looking for, my brother has batted the 'Getting Mum on the internet' ball into my court...
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: rog on 28 July, 2012, 09:27:27 AMand just dump stuff on it without the hassles and nonsense of iTunes
With the exception of music, which is generally managed through iTunes, there's not really any need to use iTunes for anything these days if you don't want to. And given that iOS has been wires-free for a while now, the only people plugging in an iPad or iPhone to a PC or Mac are the ones who, for whatever reason, are refusing to update iOS.

Martin Jameson

Spent the last few days with my iPad and, so far, very pleased with the decision. Perfect size for everything I need. Although there are android tablets with the same screen size it's the resolution of the iPad that sets it apart - it really is lovely. And I am a fan of android.
Thanks for the advice and recommendations indigo, been downloading a fair bit so far!

Richmond Clements