Main Menu

Back after 35 years!

Started by BMCCOLL, 01 March, 2018, 04:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMCCOLL

Hi, I'm one of the originals but lapsed about 1983... left school, started work etc but am now slowly catching up. Just another 1800 progs to go!

Dandontdare

welcome back! Tharg is a forgiving alien!

Have you come across the Spacespinner 2000 podcast? (http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=44366.0) it's my new favourite podcast as a couple of Americans review 2000ad from the start - they're up to late 1982 at the moment, but the earlier episodes should give you a wonderful nostalgia tingle!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 March, 2018, 04:59:07 PM
welcome back! Tharg is a forgiving alien!

Have you come across the Spacespinner 2000 podcast? (http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=44366.0) it's my new favourite podcast as a couple of Americans review 2000ad from the start - they're up to late 1982 at the moment, but the earlier episodes should give you a wonderful nostalgia tingle!

Welcome aboard and what Dandontdare said.

Are you reading the current Prog or just catching up with trades and what not?

WhizzBang

Welcome back! Other than Dredd, which of the strips you have re-discovered have stood up best and which ones are not as good as you remember?

I second the SpaceSpinner2000 recomendation - start downloading now. Have you read any Nikolai Dante?

BMCCOLL

Cheers!
I'm slowly catching up, now on prog 247 (I obtained a set from ebay). I'm reading several issues a day so won't be up to date for a good few months yet... if I can keep up the pace that is! Of the strips I thought of as good in the past, Wolfie Smith, Blackhawk, Mean Arena, Harlem Heroes/Inferno and Ace in all honestly now leave me cold, maybe it's my age, also the speech in Ace leaves me bamboozled!
Nemesis is brilliant as ever if not more so, the artwork is incredible. Robo-hunter is still as funny while the Future Shocks never fail to entertain. Strontium Dog was/is a big favourite as well. I've never read any Nikolai Dante but is it worth waiting another 800 issues or so (I see from the complete index from wikipedia it starts in prog 1035)?
I see a jumping on point is coming up (prog 2073) but what would you suggest as a previous one. Until I've caught up I would feel kinda out of the loop! And I'll definitely try out the podcast!

Colin YNWA

Dante is possibly my favourite strip of all time and well worth the wait. You have LOADS of good stuff between 273 and getting there (I'm currently on a re-read and up to 660s) and the odd buffer. To be honest I reckon if you fancy just dive in 2073, you never know what will suit one fan over another so I say just go for it.

Fungus

Definitely give 2073 a try. Then a couple more, see what you think.
My own Wilderness wasn't as long as 35 years but the feel of the modern day prog to the 'original' is pretty stark, I found. Dredd's the obvious point of comparison, and mostly it feels it's written for a different audience. Which of course it is...

BMCCOLL

I used to buy the annuals and summer specials up to the point I stopped, they were standalone, but do the later ones actually contain episodes of the regular comic stories? For instance I'm sure I read somewhere that a Nemesis episode was in one ('part 7' comes to mind), or am I mistaken!

IndigoPrime

You bought a complete set of 2000 AD from eBay?

Pyroxian

Quote from: BMCCOLL on 02 March, 2018, 06:08:51 AM
I used to buy the annuals and summer specials up to the point I stopped, they were standalone, but do the later ones actually contain episodes of the regular comic stories? For instance I'm sure I read somewhere that a Nemesis episode was in one ('part 7' comes to mind), or am I mistaken!

The end-of year Christmas Prog contains regular stories, but Winter / Summer / Sci-fi always contain stand-alone stories AFAIK.

BMCCOLL

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 March, 2018, 09:44:28 AM
You bought a complete set of 2000 AD from eBay?

You kidding, the wife would kill me! Scanned versions I'm afraid, my own original set was thrown out decades ago by mother dearest who was clearing out my stuff after I moved out! I am now buying the latest digital editions (since prog 2055) but haven't read them yet until I caught up!

broodblik

When I returned I started by buying the digital editions. Unfortunately they only go back as far as December 2002. I also start buying the digital editions of The Judge Dredd Case Files.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: BMCCOLL on 02 March, 2018, 11:35:37 AMI am now buying the latest digital editions (since prog 2055) but haven't read them yet until I caught up!
You might also find this of interest, then: https://hachettepartworks.com/2000-ad-the-ultimate-collection

BMCCOLL

I've looked at these and they look brilliant. But storage is at a premium in McColl Towers and my better half wouldn't be too pleased about her fancy ornaments being shoved aside! :lol:

Another question... are the graphic novel sets original stories or are they reprints from the comics? See how long I've been out of the loop! :D

Thanks again for the great welcome!

abelardsnazz

Welcome back! I was away for 19 years and thoroughly enjoying catching up. I'm reading Dante for the first time in the Ultimate Collection and it's tremendous. There's also the Judge Dredd Mega Collection, http://www.judgedreddcollection.com/, which got me back into Tooth, now on 82 issues out of 90. There's loads of info and lots of friendly people on here too. Enjoy!