Main Menu

Looking for artists for an Australian anthology.

Started by BMB, 03 September, 2014, 02:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMB

Hello everyone,

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong spot, I did read the rules and I was 50/50 about posting this thread here or in Classifieds, but Classified's appears to be more comic selling whereas this forum is more art related, please don't hit me with the ban hammer, I'm Australian, it's surprising I can read at all.  :P

Long time forum member, seldom poster. Maybe one or two of you might remember my art contributions to Futurequake (Hi dave). My normal workload is an Australian post apocalypse comic Kranburn (40 page issue written/illustrated by me every 3 months) and very slowly chewing my way through another project written by Mark Hobby called Job Dun, The Fat Assassin. Pretty much with those two projects going I have no time to do art on anything else I write (plus a wife, two young Daughters, a 2/5ths scale King Tiger tank I'm building to drive around the neighbourhood (not joking)) and so I'm reaching out for artists on another project that I've been working on in the background for the last 4-5 years.

Basically, it is an anthology format comic, but everything is taking place in the same universe. The joy of this forum is everyone already knows what I mean by that, long live the anthology! The reason I wasn't sure on whether to put this here or in classifieds is because I'm paying $50 (Aus) a page, I know that isn't much but as each issue is planned at about 100 pages, $5000 is as much on an issues interior pages as my wife will let me spend. With the joy of Paypal, global location isn't an issue and I would not need the original pages just hi-rez copies for lettering. I understand that I am a bit of an unknown here so skepticism is natural so I urge you to Google Kranburn or Ben Michael Byrne (add the Michael, there are 2 billion Ben Byrnes) and see I am deep in the game here in Australia, Kranburn so far has 10 40 page issues and a 260+ page trade collecting 1-6. I'm not a fly by night chappie. Payment is when I get the pages, not after sales etc, so even in worse case scenario it never sees print, you would have still been paid. But it is seeing print, because I'm a pig headed 120kg 6'2" bull motherfucker and I said it's being printed, and in my world that is that. :D

Basic info on pages: Black and white or Black and white with greys (up to you) standard comic book format (I have files etc for anyone unsure) full bleed etc (again, happy to help anyone unsure, nobody is born knowing stuff (except boobies = yum!)). I have an album on my Facebook 'page' with a bunch of my concept art on this specific project, have a look and if it looks like a project you might be interested in, send me a PM with a sample of your stuff and we can take it from there. Its a page, not an account so I don't believe you need FB to view it. Average scripts are 3-15 pages. I'm lining up scripts with the artists I think will have the most fun/do them best on their particulars but if you have a request (no longer than 5 pages etc, let me know and I'll tweak my script hunting for you a bit more) I'm looking for dozens of artists, so if you're even mildly keen, take a punt. :D

Cheers and thanks for reading through all that, here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.675223725901809.1073741839.602268039864045&type=1

Bolt-01

I'm basically here to confirm BMB's bona fides. He is a stand-up guy and one of my fave artists out there. i'm also part of the team on Job Dun too.

I can already think of a few names from here that would rock on this project so don't be shy.

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Bubba Zebill

This could be bags of fun. I'm working on a new methodology at the moment, I'm looking to test it out. I don't have a lot of time so I'm trying to develop a a more spare, stark style, a nasty look. It may not work. It may look awful...I have no idea (so don't go by what ye see on the blog). But if you have a character description, or a page of script - send it to me via PM. I'll scribble and post it back at ye so ye can laugh yer wee heart oot!

The blog...(jings, this blog needs updating!!)
http://wineink.blogspot.cz

My game book artwork thread...
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=38692.75

And good on ye for putting this together, I hope ye get a big response from artists here. Good show!

BMB

Many thanks for the endorsement Bolt-01, and sorry for not capitalising your name, I just saw that boo boo.

From what I saw in your links Bubba Zebill I'd already have you down as a yes, but if your style would be drastically different, thanks for mentioning it. I like the character description idea, I'll post it here though so anyone who feels like it is welcome to have a go (not needed though to submit, just for fun). Feel free to PM/post here, whatever people are comfy with.

Standard South-SouthWest filtration shift worker:

Spends most of his/her working life outside and as such has full facemask with filters (ears/hair etc can be uncovered, but eyes/nose/mouth covered)
Hardworking heavy clothing, obviously with many hours use on them, but not a hobo.
Heavy gloves.
Holding an oversized hand tool that also has some form of weapon on it, but is mostly a handtool (versus say an AK-47 that has has a small shifter where the bayonet could be etc)
If there were 10 of these people all working together on a system, they might all look fairly different, but they all have a large identifying shoulder/upper arm armour/pad on their left shoulder/upper arm with 'S-SW 17' on it.
They would almost never be working in direct sunlight and would be surrounded by pipes/tubes/fluids so feel free to go nuts on moody/gritty etc.

Bubba Zebill

Bubba Zebill

BMB

To all the artists waiting for me to give them a script for NSEW, never fear, I haven't forgotten, I was a busy little bee over the weekend finalizing a bunch! I'll be sending out the first batch later today, if you don't get one and I said you would, never fear (again)! You will be getting one soon. :-D

Michael Adam Kindred

BMB, this look so cool! Love the concept artwork.
NSEW is very up my alley. I'm new to the board so I can't PM you quite yet but, here's a link to my portfolio:
michaeladamkindred.com
if you interested, my contact information is there as well.
Either way, I'm stoked to see the finished product, what's the status of this project?

inkymonkey

Hey BMB - nice stuff.  Been very aware of Kranburn for a while, and as far as I'm concerned, kudos for getting it out there on a regular basis - a rare achievement in itself down here in Oz....  (I know this well...)

I'm interested in having a little go at something for this, but got a few things on my plate that will potentially keep me busy till mid next year... Is that too late for you..?

BMB

Hi Michael and inkymonkey,

Status? I've got about 35+ artists working on scripts at the moment, so it's all chugging along nicely. ;)

Time wise, this will be a long term project (like Kranburn) so it should be around for years. So never fear about not being available for volume #1. :)

inkymonkey

Quote from: BMB on 18 November, 2014, 10:26:53 PM
Hi Michael and inkymonkey,

Status? I've got about 35+ artists working on scripts at the moment, so it's all chugging along nicely. ;)

Time wise, this will be a long term project (like Kranburn) so it should be around for years. So never fear about not being available for volume #1. :)

Coolio.  I'll keep an eye out and stay in touch!

Michael Adam Kindred

stoked for this but the ever awesome Kranburn will sustain me in the mean time.