Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Yeah, I'm watching Undeclared next, and I've heard very mixed things about it so hopes aren't high. Someone told me that it follows some of the characters from F&G to college, but then I read somewhere that it's set in contemporary times rather than the 1980s period setting of F&G, so that doesn't really make sense...

JOE SOAP

No, it's not related character/story-wise but some of the same actors are there that's the only continuity.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 25 August, 2011, 12:02:15 PM
Keef - I know you're a fan of the Apatow movies - if you haven't seen F&G, you really, really need to see it!

Actually, I haven't! Something else to stick on the rental list, ta!

radiator

It isn't available on R2 DVD so you'll have to torrent it or track down the R1 box set I'm afraid!

Well worth the hassle though - I'm sure you'll love it.

JOE SOAP

Or watch it all on youtube.

Colin Zeal

F&G is really great. I can't believe I haven't watched any of it in years. I'll have to put that right and dust off the box set.

Buddy

The Inbetweeners... very good.

Watched The Smurfs last week with the son and found it surprisingly not rubbish!

SmallBlueThing

The Inbetweeners Movie, which was superb. Much laughter, great characters, genuinely touching at times (especially with regard to Jay and the very lovely Jane) and just the right level of absurdity. I sincerely hope they leave it there, but at the same time i demand a sequel. Perhaps Jay and Neil to go visit the others in their first term at university?
SBT

radiator

I've yet to see the film, but in an interview with all four of the guys I heard the other day, three of them seemed to have a 'wait and see' attitude, but the guy that plays Jay - who, it must be said came across as a little spiky throughout - was pretty adamant that he won't be doing any more Inbetweeners, ever.

I'm sure they'll end up doing more, though - that film is making silly money at the box office.

I'm sure I'll end up seeing it at some point, but I do find The Inbetweeners a bit broad for my tastes, I prefer my comedy to have a little more subtlety these days. Sometimes implying or hinting at something is actually funnier than showing it explicitly, or repeating the joke again to really hammer it home. I think it would be a much better show if the writers showed a bit more restraint, but then I guess going for the big laugh every time is what has made it so popular. For it's target audience, thouh - it's perfect.

Hawkmumbler

Although im really quite old school comedy, Dad's army, Open all hours, sorry!, Last of the summer wine (Especialy the Compo and Cleggy years) ETC, The Inbetweeners is rediculously funny.
Along with Outnumbered, The IT crowd, and The big Bang theory it is perhaps amongst the few modern comedy's I would happely watch anytime.

Tiplodocus

THE PARENT TRAP - the one from around a dozen years ago with Lindsay Lohan and Dennis Quad and one of the Richardson girls (possibly the one that died recently, I'm not sure).

Either way, it's actually pretty enjoyable. Lohan is a precocious young talent, Dennis Quaid really should be more famous than he is,  and the movie doesn't have any of the false "Oooh they break up twenty minutes before the end" crap, it all follows nicely and logically*.

* Once you accept that loving parents can split up twins and never let them know of each others existence.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Quotebut I'm more resolute than ever that Connery's Bond wasn't all that

Absolutely agree with you on that.

The Host - again we're late to the party. Bloody hell this was a great movie. I now want to steal the trick of [spoiler]revealing your monster in an offhand way at the beginning of the first act[/spoiler] for something I witre.

SmallBlueThing

Swamp Shark

Bought for three quid from tesco, along with MONSTERWOLF, i wasnt expecting much. Ninety minutes later, id had a fantastic ninety minutes in the company of a great cast, a fun story, some scary bits, some tolerable cgi and practical effects and a brilliant cajun soundtrack. A real surprise, top stuff.

SBT

Van Dom

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane.
Well!
Thought this would just be another average "teens go on a weekend away to get slaughtered one by one by some sadistic killer" movie. It WAS, of course, but a little bit more as well. The ending really caught me off guard, completely so,and turned a ho-hum "seen it all before" movie into something just that little bit different. I ended up really enjoying this one. And Amber Heard is awesome.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

johnnystress

Columbo - Prescription: Murder

One of the original pilot tv movies

I had the pleasure last year of seeing the theatre version with Dirk (Face) Benedict playing the part of Peter Flak playing the part of Columbo. Great stuff