Main Menu

Top 2000AD moments of the last 25 years

Started by McGurk76, 16 November, 2018, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

As others have said, highlights of 2000AD's second golden age include the entirety of Nikolai Dante, all of Kingdom so far, Cradlegrave, Brink, and I'd say Caballistics and Absalom, possibly also Stickleback, and definitely Lawless in the Megazine. That's some damn good comics right there.

SBT

Colin YNWA

There's so much said all ready that I could just nod my head to. But for the sake of conversation I'm going to take a different tack and pull for Progs and what they represent.

Prog 1066 - now this one surprised me but is perfect for making the point. Its the first issue that I kind find that has the holy triumvante of Wagner Dredd, Nikolai Dante and Sinster Dexter. Now it also just happens to be the bloody awful 'Sex' issue. But kinda hammers home the point. For all the crap that swimmed around the Prog at this time having these three in regular rotation really helped stir the Prog back to form.

Prog 1466 - is a great example of what having those three around allowed to grow. John Smith's under-rated classic Leatherjack concludes, Red Seas has been added to the roster and Leviathan is in there (all be it the shorts). Just great, great stuff.

Prog 1634 - First Zombo, second Cradlegrave, joined by Savage (with Dante and Dredd) - superb and I've talked about my love of this Prog before.

Followed shortly after by Prog - 1652. Kingdom book 2 starts are makes clear that this is pure distilled 2000ad and its around to say. Alongside it Shakara, Strontium Dog by Wagner and Ezquerra, Dante and Dredd classic Tour of Duty

Prog 2101 - cos its possible pound for pound the best Prog ever.

Oh and if I may cheat Lawless is one of the absolute greatest things from Tharg's house.

Funt Solo

Loads of good stuff, and this is just 1993-2013.

Legendary Adventures:
   Age of the Wolf (I)
   Aquila
   Devlin Waugh: Reign of Frogs & Sirius Rising
   Kingdom
   Nikolai Dante
   The Red Seas: The Hollow Land
   Slaine: The Books of Invasion
   Slaine: The Book of Scars

Judge Dredd   
   The Pit
   Total War
   Origins
   Still Mental After All These Years
   Emphatically Evil: The Life And Crimes of PJ Maybe
   Tour of Duty
   Day of Chaos

Rough Diamonds:   
   Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales
   Button Man (II, III & IV)
   Durham Red: Night of the Hunters
   Low Life
   Savage
   Snow/Tiger: Pax Americana
   13/Thirteen
   Tiger Sun, Dragon Moon
   Tyranny Rex: Deux Ex Machina

Other Worlds:
   Brass Sun   
   Breathing Space
   Firekind
   Glimmer Rats
   Shakara

The Horror ... The Horror...
   Caballistics, Inc.
   Chiaroscuro
   Cradlegrave
   Judge Death: My Name is Death
   Leviathan

Lightness of Being:   
   Dandridge
   Trifecta
   Necronauts
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Judgedreddrocks

"When I make a point, I make a funting point!"

Really hit me hard

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Richard

The story Jayzus is trying to remember is The Spirit of Christmas in 2007's Prog 2008. It's a good one.

Although I don't disagree with the stories people have listed above, the question was about moments in 2000AD's last 25 years, so I don't think multi-episode serials really count. It's about "Because I hate you" (that one's from more than 25 years ago but you get the point).

So, in no particular order, my choices are:
The death of Judge McGruder ("You deserved better").

The end of Book 1 of Tsar Wars, when [spoiler]Ingrid Wagner hangs herself.[/spoiler]

Al Ewing's Choose Your Own Xmas (also nominated by Jayzus).

When Dredd meets Guthrie for the first time, in The Pit.

The fate of Nemesis and Torquemada at the end of Book X, which has always stayed with me. (I think the recent Nemesis one-off in prog 2000, which I did that ending, was the worst decision Pat Mills has ever made.)

The first ever episode of Kingdom. Also the episode in which [spoiler]the original Lizzie Sower was killed.[/spoiler]

The panel from Tour of Duty when Niles, Buell, Garcia etc set out on their way to arrest Seinfeld.

The first episode of The Scarlet Cantos. That introduced so many interesting characters and places, it's a great example of world-building.

That one-off story by Bryan Talbot in Prog 2001 or 2002.

There must be plenty of others, but that will do for now.

Richard

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 17 November, 2018, 01:53:19 PM
The question was about moments in 2000AD's last 25 years, so I don't think multi-episode serials really count.

Ok so if it is moments :

1. Dredd kicking his way from his own strip into the Simping Detective
2. "I no longer recognise your authority"

If it is strips /series then, in no particular order:

Dredd

Tour of Duty
Day of Chaos
Trifecta
The Small House
The Pit
Any story featuring PJ Maybe

Other 2000 AD Strips

Brink
Strontium Dog revival
Sinister Dexter
Nikolai Dante
Kingdom

Megazine

Lawless
Insurrection
The Simping Detective

Other
Prog 2000 (the second one), the 40th Anniversary Prog and the 40th event

(This is definitely one of those "here is what occurs to me right now, tomorrow it will be a different lists").

Greg M.

"My name is Dredd. You may have heard of me. I'm a stickler."

Batman's Superior Cousin

Judge Dredd
Moments
Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2018, 09:28:21 AM
My second prediction is when Dredd boots down a door in the last panel of his story and the first panel of the next story features the same door being booted in.

Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2018, 09:27:36 AM

The panel from Tour of Duty when Niles, Buell, Garcia etc set out on their way to arrest Seinfeld.

Stories
Trifecta, Monkey On My Back, Meet The Umbersons, Regime Change, Terror Rising, Road Stop, House of Pain, Great Expectations and Choose Your Own X-Mas

Other non-Dredd Related Moments
Rowan Morrigan's resurrection after being eaten by Fenrir in the first Age of the Wolf story

Quote from: sheridan on 16 November, 2018, 09:39:27 AM
This one could be a bit divisive, but the last panel published to date of Stickleback where we find out [spoiler]that Stickleback is Sherlock Holmes[/spoiler].

Also the episode in which [spoiler]the original Lizzie Sower was killed.[/spoiler]

Other non-Dredd Related Stories

Nikolai Dante, Brink, Stickleback, The Ten-Seconders, The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael (And The Dead Left In His Wake), Cradlegrave, Caballistics, Shakara, Kingdom and Nemesis the Warlock
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

It's ALL spoilers, innit? I suspect that's why most posts have tried to be fairly general: this is fast becoming the "ruin every cool surprise Tharg ever pulled off" thread. Shall I tell 'em about Malone and Crispy while we're here?

Richard

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sorry folks, I tried to put a spoiler tag on the pic but it wouldn't let me!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 November, 2018, 07:13:37 AM
It's ALL spoilers, innit? I suspect that's why most posts have tried to be fairly general: this is fast becoming the "ruin every cool surprise Tharg ever pulled off" thread. Shall I tell 'em about Malone and Crispy while we're here?

I'll always remember finding out the massive pre-Necropolis Dredd reveal: [spoiler]My brother, reading the prog to himself, shouted over to me 'You know the Dead Man? Guess who he is really? Judge Dredd'.[/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"