Main Menu

José Ortiz: The Tower King and The House of Daemon Qustion

Started by Tweak72, 10 November, 2009, 04:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweak72

After listening to an excellent interview on one of the best pod cast series I have listened I began wondering about a couple of series from Eagle that I Loved at the time but was not able to enjoy as much as I should have (due to dyslexia) the first time around. I know that a few years ago there where the excellent Fan reprints of the first illustrated run of Doomlord and the brilliant 13th Floor where done but what about The Tower King and The House of Daemon? Is there any chance of these being reprinted? Or are they trapped in copyright hell?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tweak72 on 10 November, 2009, 04:58:13 PM
The House of Daemon?

IIRC is that not the one that features a blonde psychic woman called Cassandra?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

M.I.K.

I didn't get Eagle at the time and would love to see both of these reprinted. House of Daemon especially looks like my cup of tea.

If anyone's wondering what the deal is with all these psychic chicks named Cassandra... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra

James Stacey

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 10 November, 2009, 05:41:49 PM
If anyone's wondering what the deal is with all these psychic chicks named Cassandra...

In this case, I think it has more to do with Alan Grant and John Wagner writing it. This was after Anderson had been introduced in Dredd, but before she'd been given a first name (which I don't think happened until her first solo series).

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

I did the Doomlord and 13th floor a few years ago, (still for sale on ebay!).

The one big problem doing these as 'fan' publication is that I personally have to tie up a fair amount of cash doing them. Dont get me wrong im not complaining, I loved doing it, and do plan another asap, ie when I have time and sold more Doomlords!

The House of Daemon was OK but I loved the Tower King, thats really due a reprint. Adam Eterno is another that Id love to see.

David

Colin YNWA

Wow ok live and learn I remembered what I thought was the 13th Floor but now having seen this and looked it is is clearly 'The House of Daemon'. I remember loving this back in the day. Having just bought a copy of '13th Floor' from David I'm now very curious as to want I'm going to get!

TordelBack

House of Daemon (nuclear hand grenades!) and The Tower King (the Tube Rats!) both started off great but ended up pretty shite.  Part of my my problem (at the time) with Dante's Pirate arc was the way it reminded me of the painful decline of The Tower King, what with our respective bearded heroes running about endlessly saving  duos of loveable siblings.  

Tweak72

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 November, 2009, 06:56:26 PM
House of Daemon (nuclear hand grenades!) and The Tower King (the Tube Rats!) both started off great but ended up pretty shite.  Part of my my problem (at the time) with Dante's Pirate arc was the way it reminded me of the painful decline of The Tower King, what with our respective bearded heroes running about endlessly saving  duos of loveable siblings.  

That's where I had see that story before.

Daveycandlish

I used to love Ortiz' work on Tower King. What ever happened to him? In fact what happened to the all the foreign artists we used to see in British comics? I think we all know about Bellardinelli and Ezquerra, but Ortiz? Or Carlos Pino? And who was that chap who drew Doomlord? Where are they now?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

M.I.K.

I read somewhere or other that Ortiz was still drawing comics for Italian publishers up until quite recently. Possibly still is.

maryanddavid

I was in portugal recently, and I picked up a few portugese comics. One of the was drawn by Ortiz, a western library called Tex. I think most of the Sapnish/South American do a lot of work for the European market.

David

Colin YNWA

Quote from: M.I.K. on 10 November, 2009, 09:34:46 PM
I read somewhere or other that Ortiz was still drawing comics for Italian publishers up until quite recently. Possibly still is.

QuoteI was in portugal recently, and I picked up a few portugese comics. One of the was drawn by Ortiz, a western library called Tex. I think most of the Sapnish/South American do a lot of work for the European market.

Tex is actually an Italian comic which is printed across Europe so these two together make a lot of sense.

Tweak72

Professor Bear

Stop beating around the bush, David - when's the collected Legend of the Linkits coming out?

I was a big fan of Eagle, but Daemon and Tower King were obviously before my time - though TK sounds awesome.