Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I need a razor to go over my head.  I look like Johnny Alpha from the eyebrows up.

The Doctor Alt 8

optimusjamie

Some of the more recent Dredd stuff went pretty much over my head before reading The Apocalypse War- after all, as I said here, it is one of the defining moments in Dredd's entire run.
Same thing with ABC Warriors- Back to Earth made a lot more sense after reading some of the older stuff.

radiator

So something struck me earlier - is 'kneel before Zod' a pun on 'kneel before God"?

The Doctor Alt 8

James Stacey

Quote from: radiator on 17 June, 2013, 10:31:15 PM
So something struck me earlier - is 'kneel before Zod' a pun on 'kneel before God"?
Zod makes that joke in the film when near the beginning someone says 'dear God' and he replies, 'No, Zod'

Frank

Zenith's name was Robert Neal Cassady McDowell. Come on, I was only wee.

ming

Watching Spaced for the umpteenth time, the penny finally dropped regarding the name of that nice psychic girl Tim met (and who gave him his own phone number): Cassandra.  Yeah, it could be a coincidink but let's face it, it's not.

:lol:

radiator

Doesn't 'Cassandra' refer to a Greek or Roman myth about a woman who could tell the future?

Probably more a reference to that (as is Anderson's name in the first place).

ming

I get the original reference, but given that Spaced is about as crammed full of nods to 2000AD as you could wish for, I think 'mindreading chick' probably refers to Cass Anderson... 

Proudhuff

Quote from: radiator on 18 July, 2013, 07:10:12 PM
Doesn't 'Cassandra' refer to a Greek or Roman myth about a woman who could tell the future?

I don't believe it.
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 18 July, 2013, 07:10:12 PM

Of course, Anderson isn't the only blonde woman with psychic abilities on whom Wagner & Grant bestowed that moniker.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

I haven't seen the episode in question, but if the joke of the character is that no-one believes her predictions, then it's probably a reference to the myth. The way some artists sometimes depict Anderson with reddish hair (Bisley and whoever coloured the Eagle covers are the two that spring to mind) is probably a reference to the daughter of Priam, King of Troy.

johnnystress

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 July, 2013, 08:03:11 PM

Of course, Anderson isn't the only blonde woman with psychic abilities on whom Wagner & Grant bestowed that moniker.

I like the look of this; Ortiz, demony stuff.... Probably expecting to much to ask if it was ever collected/

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: johnnystress on 19 July, 2013, 10:09:21 AM
I like the look of this; Ortiz, demony stuff.... Probably expecting to much to ask if it was ever collected/

Not as far as I know, but there's a massive chunk of it scanned here, although the oldest episode is at the bottom so, counter-intuitively, you have to start at the bottom and scroll up.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.