Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Only just realised that 'Blockbuster' refers to people queueing for tickets 'around the block'.

Always figured it was just some nonsense phrase.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, not so much something that went over my head as something I never noticed before.  The last two frames of Necropolis - Burnt-up Dredd's face is normal again.  Then it returns to burnt and scarred for the next few progs till he gets the rejuve job.  How did I not spot this?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

A.Cow

Quote from: radiator on 08 January, 2016, 08:37:13 PM
Only just realised that 'Blockbuster' refers to people queueing for tickets 'around the block'.
Always figured it was just some nonsense phrase.

Um ... sorry, not quite right.  A "blockbuster" was a WW2 bomb and the term was then used in entertainment (from 1957 onwards) to describe a product with major impact.  A similar example is the popular American phrase "it's the bomb" (referring to the atom bomb).

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 28 January, 2016, 07:56:19 AM
The last two frames of Necropolis - Burnt-up Dredd's face is normal again.  Then it returns to burnt and scarred for the next few progs till he gets the rejuve job.

Nice spot, Jayzus, but Dredd goes into something that looks like a big toastie machine, with DERMAHEAL written on the side. It's something that heals skin, not a magic young-again machine, and nothing in the Dredd strip suggests he's ever had his youth restored. 

Pointless pedantry aside, here's some pointless trivia. The Judge Dredd Annual 1984 features a story that's two pages of strip and four pages of a text personality test, to which judges subject perps. The arresting officer has a familiar name and moustache:

Don't mess with Sladek, or he'll haul your ass down to the SECTION house (?). Sladek & Kneepad turn up in prog 461's The Falucci Tape, in which Sladek ices Kneepad to cover up his extra-judicial liaison. All of this went over my head, despite a Tharg Note in 461 referring me to the 1984 annual. D'OH!

The test itself is worth reading, as it introduces the supporting cast of The Falucci Tape and gives Kneepad a rounded back story TB Grover obviously felt was too well developed to waste. It's an interesting example of the crazy levels of world building Wagner & Grant were doing at that time, as well as an odd experiment in form.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Butch on 09 February, 2016, 08:37:16 PM

Nice spot, Jayzus, but Dredd goes into something that looks like a big toastie machine, with DERMAHEAL written on the side. It's something that heals skin, not a magic young-again machine, and nothing in the Dredd strip suggests he's ever had his youth restored. 

Ahem.

(Nice spot yourself on the Sladek thing though; I always wondered what story the Falucci Tape was referencing.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

JayzusB.Christ

The Legendary Shark

There's a bit in The Empire Strikes Back where Yoda tries to look into the future to see what will become of Leia, Han and co. on Bespin. I always thought he said it was difficult to see because the future is "always emotion," which kind of made sense.
Only last week, reading a Star Wars novel, did I finally realise he actually said, "always in motion," which makes more sense. D'oh!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SuperSurfer

This cover would you believe it. Well, I never really paid it much attention, having not read the entire prog and I just this second noticed the logo.

No doubt some self-proclaimed expert has by now commented that you never mess with your logo and never cover it up and that their three-year-old daughter knows that and would do it better in Photoshop.

JayzusB.Christ

On a recent re-watch of Dredd, it occurred to me that Anderson's origin story was probably the standard model for all judges in that version of MC1.  Basically, any nonscrot watching would assume that Dredd was also inducted as an orphan at age 9; which was probably the creators' intention.

It was also even more low-tech than I remembered - there really wasn't much there that wouldn't be possible to do today (bionic eyes, slo-mo and psi-powers being the exceptions).  The vehicles even look a bit dated by today's standards.  But don't get me wrong - I loved it for that.  Dredd has always been about Dredd; about being a hard bastard breaking skulls; the sci-fi comes second.

The Legendary Shark

Hmm, interesting. Maybe that "something else" Anderson mentioned was the fact that Dredd's a clone?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 10 February, 2016, 01:40:01 AM
No doubt some self-proclaimed expert has by now commented that you never mess with your logo and never cover it up and that their three-year-old daughter knows that and would do it better in Photoshop.

There's certainly a fair old number of armchair designers* on this board!

*(Not people who design armchairs, you understand).
@jamesfeistdraws

M.I.K.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 February, 2016, 10:31:46 AM
It was also even more low-tech than I remembered - there really wasn't much there that wouldn't be possible to do today

When I first saw it at the pictures, it occurred to me that there was a lot of stuff in it akin to things from the early stories, that would have seemed quite futuristic if the film had come out in the 1980s, (talking bikes, cleaning robots, etc;).

Jacqusie

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 10 February, 2016, 01:40:01 AM

These were the days SuperSurfer!

;)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 February, 2016, 11:39:21 AM
Hmm, interesting. Maybe that "something else" Anderson mentioned was the fact that Dredd's a clone?

All will be revealed in the sequel!  Except, of course, it won't.