Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 11 May, 2017, 09:13:50 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 11 May, 2017, 12:53:15 PM

You don't need any background reading for Insurrection, though Insurrection itself is background reading for another, more recent series.  But I'm not going to tell you what that series is as it's a surprise appearance ;-)

I must confess I'm puzzled by this - another megazine strip?

from Wikipedia:
QuoteInsurrection is a series by Dan Abnett published in Judge Dredd Megazine starting in January 2009. Abnett explains that "the actual brief was to bring to the Dredd Universe something of the epic war-in-space scale of the stuff I write for Warhammer 40K. Tharg (Matt to his friends) wanted a stonking big space war story that would suit the universe of the Mega-Cities".

The series was drawn by artist Colin MacNeil, who has also worked on a number of Warhammer 40K stories, and one reviewer notes the similarities suggesting "MacNeil is reprising exactly the same art style that he used on the "Bloodquest" strip in the Warhammer Monthly comic."

The reception has been positive with reviews of the first episode suggesting "With cracking art and a storming first episode I have to say 'Insurrection' has the potential to be the best Dredd off world spin-off ever" and "This was as good a first episode as I can remember reading and I can see Insurrection having the legs to deliver on that initial promise." Reviews only got better after that, including: "Quite simply, this is the best non-Dredd story ever to run in the Megazine" and "glorious"

I forget now where I read the first couple of chapters of this story... might have been a past FCBD issue, or one of those 2000 AD Specials, but my reaction was much the same. Pretty impressive. Didn't hurt that I was already a fan of both Dan Abnett and Colin MacNeil, either, I guess.

Insurrection (Books I & II):
Mega-City One mining colony K-Alpha 61 has declared independence from the 'Big Meg' and renamed itself Liberty. This act of defiance has angered the Justice Department's Special Judicial Squad and in a bid to stop further colonies from rebelling, war is inevitable...
https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB423

Insurrection: Liberty (Book III):
MEGA-CITY COLONIAL SPACE, 2135 AD. Mining colony K Alpha 61 renamed itself Liberty after cutting loose from the Big Meg. Furious at this dissent, and in a bid to stop the revolt spreading to other colonies, the SJS launched a blistering attack on Colonial Marshal Karel Luther's forces. Now, the alien Zhind have stepped up their attacks on the colony worlds causing an uneasy alliance to form between the SJS and the insurrectionists...
https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/XB538

sheridan

Quote from: JudgeJudi on 11 May, 2017, 09:13:50 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 11 May, 2017, 12:53:15 PM

You don't need any background reading for Insurrection, though Insurrection itself is background reading for another, more recent series.  But I'm not going to tell you what that series is as it's a surprise appearance ;-)

I must confess I'm puzzled by this - another megazine strip?

Yep!  [spoiler]Lawless[/spoiler]

Smith

Not exactly 2kAD related,but I guess this is as good as thread as any.Rodney has a Dan Dare shirt in  a few episodes.Took me years to notice that.:)

JayzusB.Christ

Billiam Zinkywink in an old Anderson strip - I wasn't too well versed in American comics at the time (I'm still not that much, but more so than then) - but clearly a play on Bill Sienkievicz.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

WhizzBang

Michael Palin also wore the same t-shirt design in Around The World In 80 Days.

positronic

Quote from: Smith on 24 May, 2017, 01:46:42 PM
Not exactly 2kAD related,but I guess this is as good as thread as any.Rodney has a Dan Dare shirt in  a few episodes.Took me years to notice that.:)

Sure it's related. Dan Dare appeared in 2000AD, even if the t-shirt pictures the Frank Hampson-illustrated original version of Dan Dare from EAGLE, and even if ownership of the Dan Dare character has gone its own way since the days when IPC had the publishing rights to the character.

You've got the people who only like the original Frank Hampson version of Dan Dare in the same way as you've got the people who only like the original Alex Raymond version of Flash Gordon. Then you've got the people who like both the Raymond Flash Gordon and the later version by Dan Barry, and the people who like both the Hampson Dan Dare and the later version from 2000AD, even though in both cases the two versions are substantially different. The original artists on both characters each worked on them for just about a decade. Even though they were both science fiction heroes, they're less alike as characters than they are in the parallels between their original incarnations and their later incarnations.

Smith

I was saying that Im not sure if this was the right thread,but nevermind...
First episode aired in September 1981,so it misses the Dans 2000AD run by a bit.IIRC Eagle relaunched around that time.
Same shirt shows up later in a series 2 episode,and maybe later again,but Im not sure.

A.Cow

Quote from: positronic on 25 May, 2017, 11:39:14 AM
You've got the people who only like the original Frank Hampson version of Dan Dare in the same way as you've got the people who only like the original Alex Raymond version of Flash Gordon. Then you've got the people who like both the Raymond Flash Gordon and the later version by Dan Barry, and the people who like both the Hampson Dan Dare and the later version from 2000AD, even though in both cases the two versions are substantially different. The original artists on both characters each worked on them for just about a decade. Even though they were both science fiction heroes, they're less alike as characters than they are in the parallels between their original incarnations and their later incarnations.

My head hurts!

terryworld

Quote from: A.Cow on 25 May, 2017, 08:31:52 PM
Quote from: positronic on 25 May, 2017, 11:39:14 AM

My head hurts!

fuckin' hell... it's like being back at school and getting lectured everyday innit?

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

positronic

I think Frank Hampson's Dan Dare for the original EAGLE was brilliant. I've barely read any of the IPC incarnation of the character, but what I've read about it doesn't encourage me.

Obviously in the early days of 2000AD the publisher felt that the history and name value of Dan Dare was important, but it isn't clear whether the readership of 2000AD felt the same way, and from what I've read about the 2000AD (and later EAGLE revival) of Dan Dare, there never seemed to be a clear creative team or direction for the series. I'm sure there must have been some readers whose first exposure to the character was the later Dan Dare, who felt differently.

I know the later 2000AD and EAGLE strips were collected in 2 trade volumes within the last decade or so, but where was the classic EAGLE Dan Dare most recently reprinted? I have a few of the earlier collections, which I believe were published by Titan Books (don't quote me on that, I'd have to go check).

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 26 May, 2017, 07:19:30 AM
Obviously in the early days of 2000AD the publisher felt that the history and name value of Dan Dare was important, but it isn't clear whether the readership of 2000AD felt the same way, and from what I've read about the 2000AD (and later EAGLE revival) of Dan Dare, there never seemed to be a clear creative team or direction for the series. I'm sure there must have been some readers whose first exposure to the character was the later Dan Dare, who felt differently.

I'd never thought about it, but I started reading Eagle and 2000AD at around the same time, so I was introduced to the name Dan Dare by the New Eagle version - the original's grandson, I believe, though the original did pop up via time travel.  That's the Eagle original, not the post-cryosleep 2000AD original.

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 26 May, 2017, 12:10:03 PM

I'd never thought about it, but I started reading Eagle and 2000AD at around the same time, so I was introduced to the name Dan Dare by the New Eagle version - the original's grandson, I believe, though the original did pop up via time travel.  That's the Eagle original, not the post-cryosleep 2000AD original.

I was under the impression that when Eagle was revived in the 1980s, it was published by IPC. Is that not the case? Or did they just choose to ignore what 2000AD had done with the character?

Have the stories you're talking about had a reprint collection somewhere?

sheridan

Quote from: positronic on 26 May, 2017, 02:48:03 PM

I was under the impression that when Eagle was revived in the 1980s, it was published by IPC. Is that not the case? Or did they just choose to ignore what 2000AD had done with the character?

When 2000AD was launched by IPC in 1977 they tacked on the Dan Dare name to their more punky Bowie-esque space hero and got around it by saying he'd been in cryo for however-long-it-is.  When new Eagle was launched four or five years later, also by IPC, they again tacked on the Dan Dare name to their space hero (more military, not so punky) and got around it by saying he was the grandson of the character the reader's parents would have read about when they were kids.  Once it had been running a few years, for some reason, they brought the original Dan Dare (ignoring the space accident / cryo / face change / cosmic claw).  I didn't say that neither was published by IPC.

positronic

Quote from: sheridan on 26 May, 2017, 03:49:20 PM
Quote from: positronic on 26 May, 2017, 02:48:03 PM

When 2000AD was launched by IPC in 1977 they tacked on the Dan Dare name to their more punky Bowie-esque space hero and got around it by saying he'd been in cryo for however-long-it-is.  When new Eagle was launched four or five years later, also by IPC, they again tacked on the Dan Dare name to their space hero (more military, not so punky) and got around it by saying he was the grandson of the character the reader's parents would have read about when they were kids.  Once it had been running a few years, for some reason, they brought the original Dan Dare (ignoring the space accident / cryo / face change / cosmic claw).  I didn't say that neither was published by IPC.

No, my bad -- I just assumed that if both comics were published by IPC, the Dan Dare character would be the same version from 2000AD to the new Eagle comic, since they were only separated by four or five years (actually I didn't think it was even by that much).

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, how much of a gap of time was there between when DD stopped being published in 2000AD and when it began again in the new Eagle? Do you think IPC assumed two totally different audiences for the character in the two different comics?

Totally different editorial groups, no doubt, and perhaps the new Eagle editor felt they had to try to prove that their version was better than the earlier 2000AD version.

So what happened later? Was the Dan Dare copyright challenged and/or recaptured by the Hampson estate, or... ??