Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

I agree, but was merely being facetious and questioning where anyone gets the time to watch this stuff. In between work, cooking, eating, reading comics and books and listening to the radio, ive not had time to even put on a dvd that wasnt expressly to keep the kids quiet, in months.

Oh, except last night, but im sworn to secrecy on that one!

I cant get into american drama, genre or otherwise- the last show i followed for any length of time was The X Files, and even that i gave up on after a few years. Frasier, maybe? I saw that through to the end.

There's still a Primeval series four episode ive not watched, despite my love for that show- and i know that when the new Canadian PRIMEVAL: NEW WORLD debuts on dvd i'll buy the set, watch two or three and then let it slide, however good or bad it is. Probably bad.

Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Spartacus, American Horror Story, Supernatural, Grimm, Smallville, Battlestar Galactica, Arrow... all have precisely zero interest for me, im sorry to say. (cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) and the only drama-ish things i watch on a regular basis- and which i would possibly seek out if pushed- are YOUNG DRACULA and WOLFBLOOD on kids' tv. If only because when they're broadcast im still awake! And they're good, too.

Otherwise, it's all about the aforementioned DAVE repeats, Im a Celebrity and Embarassing Bodies in our house!

SBT

radiator

So you don't watch TV series and don't have any to recommend, but still feel compelled to post (at great length) in this thread for some reason.

And you don't have TIME to watch them you say?

SmallBlueThing

Ha! I texted that while on my way to work, on the bus. Or should i have been using the time to downstream my technoload of new episodes of Stargate?

SBT

radiator

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 21 November, 2012, 07:48:33 AM
Is Breaking Bad the one about a chemistry teacher who makes drugs?

Yes. It really is superb, but some bits require a strong stomach (I know some people who gave up after the bit involving the bath as it was a bit to gruesome).

Personally, I found aspects of the first two series (hospital scenes) very upsetting and hard to watch, IMO that particular part of the plot works best as a catalyst to kick things off and needn't have been lingered on quite so much.

Oh, forgot to mention the music (both the original soundtrack and the licensed tracks) all of which is amazing.

James Stacey

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 November, 2012, 08:51:42 AM
Or should i have been using the time to downstream my technoload of new episodes of Stargate?
If only they were still making Stargate, yes you should.

Charlie boy

Twin Peaks and Carnivale are two great series to watch. Sons of Anarchy is the only show going at the moment that has me buy the boxsets once they're available. I did like The Sopranos but don't think I'd ever watch it from start to finish again. I remember watching The Sopranos and getting a tad annoyed how in a later series, a brief argument shown in one episode of an earlier series would be mentioned and I'd be scratching my head trying to remember it. Sons of Anarchy doesn't have that problem, it keeps it all running along nicely. Oh, and The Munsters boxsets are more than entertaining.

radiator

The only bit of Sons of Anarchy I've seen is someone doing a ludicrously awful Irish accent. Must admit, it put me off a little.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 24 November, 2012, 07:20:39 AM
The only bit of Sons of Anarchy I've seen is someone doing a ludicrously awful Irish accent. Must admit, it put me off a little.

Listen here fellah, don' youh daare pass up the feckin oppertuuunity to watch dis bleedin geniuos bit o telly just cause dey spend halfa season tree in oireland.

Dere are few bettar tings ye could watch rite now- gie it a shot from season wan.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: radiator on 24 November, 2012, 07:20:39 AM

It's put me off it totally - I hate hearing american versions of an Irish accent in shows/films. Case in point: Burn Notice....first episode. Fiona's accent. Switched off straight away. Left it for a year, and then someone mentioned that the accent was dropped from episode 2 onwards, so I watched again. And love the show (but I still cringe when the opening titles are playing...."Where am I?"..."Miami, to be sure to be sure"....I may have modified the words, but that's the effect it has in my head)

I just can't get into Sons of Anarchy because of it.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

golledge100

QuoteNo sign of Season 5 on DVD yet though...where on earth did you get that from? 

Season 5 of breaking bad is available on Netflix. This makes up for its 5.99 monthly subscription alone!

Steve Green

Although it's only half a season annoyingly.

Frank

Quote from: golledge100 on 24 November, 2012, 09:55:21 AM
Season 5 of breaking bad is available on Netflix. This makes up for its 5.99 monthly subscription alone!

I'm on the month free trial of netflix at the moment and I can only get seasons 1-3, does the choice widen with a real subscription? The defining appeal of box sets, for me, isn't what you watch so much as how you choose to watch it. I watched three or four episodes of The Wire a week, and the regularity of that made it an enjoyable part of my daily life; while I watched most of The Pacific in a single day, because I was snowed in during the Christmas holidays, and it felt much more slight and disjointed than Band of Brothers, which I watched weekly on TV.

Radiator's use of the word 'addiction' in this thread's title is interesting. I'd been quite happily watching an episode of Breaking Bad most days so far, then I had a couple of shit days at work and managed to power through most of season 2 on Friday. Watching Jessie and his girlfriend sink into heroin addiction made me aware that I was using the show in exactly way as he was using the junk- to get out of my own head and shut out the real world. I'm ridiculously straight edge - I don't even drink - but I've been using all kinds of fiction to get out of my tree for most of my life.

Steve Green

I didn't realise that the trial restricted what you can see. I expect it's to stop people just using the trial to watch a couple of seasons of something specific.

There is a difference between the US and UK netflix - although if you access through a VPN you can access the US Netflix content even if you registered outside the US.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 November, 2012, 11:10:26 AM
There is a difference between the US and UK netflix - although if you access through a VPN you can access the US Netflix content even if you registered outside the US.

Cheers!