Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie boy

Quote from: radiator on 24 November, 2012, 07:20:39 AM
The only bit of Sons of Anarchy I've seen is someone doing a ludicrously awful Irish accent. Must admit, it put me off a little.
You should give it a go, mate. As has been pointed out- you've got a good 2 1/2 series before they go to Ireland and by then you'll be well in to it. Series 4 was then fantastic and I'm hoping 5 airs over here soon.

radiator

I'm watching series 1 of Misfits.

So does it take a while to get good, or am I just not getting it?

Doesn't really seem anything special so far - script and acting is quite poor. Seems to have childish, outdated sweary/rude phrases in place of actual humour, a bit like The Inbetweeners.

pauljholden

I'm currently watching community, available from netlfix via Canada (I use the proxy service unblock-us.

Hard to say what it's like, kind of friends meets spaced. Very warm with great central characters.

Also watching Better Off Ted, us comedy about a company that clearly supplies crazy scientist equipment to bond villains and/or dr doom (it's not really about that, but that's e background...)

(Oh, and the wife is glued to Once Upon a Time, a TV show that shares a LOT of DNA with the comic "fables" - the big difference is fable is about the original Grimm fairy tales, whereas Once Upon a Time the fairy tales are all Disney's version of the same (which makes it weirdly unwatchable for me...))
-pi

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: pauljholden on 28 November, 2012, 09:13:10 PM
Also watching Better Off Ted, us comedy about a company that clearly supplies crazy scientist equipment to bond villains and/or dr doom (it's not really about that, but that's e background...)

Excellent show. Cancelled before its time. Portia di Rossi is fantastic as the crazy boss
You may quote me on that.

michael kennedy

community is the freaking best thing iv'e seen in ages, had to get the boxsets after viva dropped it and it went to sony.

the first season was finding its feet but the two after that are some of the best bits of comedy iv'e seen from the US.

definitley worth a youtube search particularily anything with [spoiler]senor chang or paintball[/spoiler] played by ken jeong

i spoilered it in case it ruins someones watching of said show.

Van Dom

I just ran through the first series of Revenge on Netflix. Really didnt expect to like it when I stuck on the pilot episode,  as its not my usual kind of thing (rich folk backstabbing each other in Dynasty-style shenanigans) and in fact I thought Id be switching it off after 5 minutes. But the lead, Emily Van Camp, really captivated me and kept me on board. She's awesome. And her character is great. Starts off as a simple "get revenge for past wrongs on baddie of the week " type thing before picking up steam and getting really complex and convoluted. The other lead, the dorky, socially awkward billionaire who goes around paying people to be his friend also turns out to be a really cool character. Good show, if you can get into it.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

radiator

Community is wonderful, but it can be hard getting people to give it a chance as the first half/third of series one isn't that great. My girlfriend didn't warm to it at all, but I know she'd love it if she just persevered for a few more episodes! I sung it's praises to a few friends, but they never got past the pilot. I think it all really clicks into place during the first Halloween episode, I'd be tempted to suggest people start there.

"I am Batman!" *applies lipbalm*

radiator

Quote'm currently watching community, available from netlfix via Canada (I use the proxy service unblock-us.

Hard to say what it's like, kind of friends meets spaced. Very warm with great central characters.

Oh, and PJ - if you haven't already seen it (and if you can get it on Netflix) I'd highly recommend Modern Family, a tremendous, slick family sitcom. It doesn't quite scale the dizzying heights of some of Community's more ingenious writing, but unlike Community it manages the trick of being genuinely likable and funny while being incredibly broad and accessible.

Only the first two series though, it really took a dramatic nosedive as of series three...

pauljholden

Quote from: radiator on 29 November, 2012, 09:56:07 AM
Community is wonderful, but it can be hard getting people to give it a chance as the first half/third of series one isn't that great. My girlfriend didn't warm to it at all, but I know she'd love it if she just persevered for a few more episodes! I sung it's praises to a few friends, but they never got past the pilot. I think it all really clicks into place during the first Halloween episode, I'd be tempted to suggest people start there.

"I am Batman!" *applies lipbalm*

Weirdly, I started seeing bits of episodes from series 3, I think - caught them on telly after seeing recommendations (ironically, after Dan Harmon had been fired). But, as much as I enjoyed them, I couldn't get into them - everything was locked in place but I didn't quiet connect. BUT I loved the pilot and the first season (I started watching from ep1, season1, and I'm on ep3 season 2).

-pj

James Stacey

Community is the best comedy thats been on TV in years. As such its been hit with the shitty stick till almost dead. There is still hope for six seasons and a movie.

radiator

I thought season three was a bit patchy, but had some real standout episodes.

I can see it going down the shitter now that Harmon and Chase have left though. The fact they've truncated, then delayed season 4 is worrying.

Anyone notice that Pierce's adopted brother is played by Gustavo Fring form Breaking Bad?

pauljholden

SPOILERS! (THough, he is also plays the genii/magic mirror in Once Upon a Time - he MAY be the US equivalent of Alan Dale... (who is also in Once Upon a Time, but not, afaik, Community))

-pj

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 29 November, 2012, 09:56:07 AM
Community is wonderful, but it can be hard getting people to give it a chance as the first half/third of series one isn't that great. My girlfriend didn't warm to it at all, but I know she'd love it if she just persevered for a few more episodes!
As a wise man once said:
Quote from: radiator on 22 October, 2012, 10:36:22 AM
The Wire. Gave up after the pilot. Yeah, so apparently it's AMAZING, you just need to get through the first series - after that you'll be hooked.

Strangely enough, I never seem to find myself with enough spare time to want to sit and watch hour after hour of boring television in the hope it eventually gets interesting.
We never really die.

radiator

What's your point? I can understand why my friends haven't given it a chance - in fact I was a bit touch and go with it at first because it initially seems like it's going to be like Scrubs or something - that's exactly why I'd consider recommending people start midway through the series, or by recommending specific episodes.

Having said that, there is difference in that Community is a sitcom, which is by it's nature light, snappy and fast paced, each episode lasting only 22 minutes. It's a totally different kettle of fish to getting into a heavy drama series like The Wire or Boardwalk Empire, which demand your full attention, must be watched in chronolgical order and can require a bit of psyching up to get into the mood. Sometimes watching one of these big cult series feels like a nagging assignment you have got to do.

ChickenStu

Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)