Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: Spaceghost on 07 November, 2016, 02:06:55 PM
I tried reading the first book of this series and ended up ditching it half way through, bored.

Too many cliches, too few ideas. It might translate better as live action and I'm tempted to give it a shot now it's on Netflix.

Me too. I tried reading the book, but didn't make it very far. 'Cliched' sums it up. It seemed like a weirdly anachronistic or retro sci fi novel, full of ideas about what someone from the 60s or 80s might think the future might be like, and I honestly couldn't tell if that was a stylistic choice or just a bland, dated aesthetic...?

CrazyFoxMachine

Shame about the books but I maintain that the series is good - glad it's on Netflix now, hope it finds the audience it deserves!

LARF

Just started watching it tonight, quite like it so far.

The Legendary Shark

Just got around to watching this. It looks bloody great, the story and characters are compelling and I'm looking forward to Season Two. One of the best things I've seen, of any genre, in a long time.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CrazyFoxMachine

:D Yes, more of this sort of thing. Since it appeared on Netflix people are gradually turning onto this which is really gratifying as it's one of my favorite new series and the best slice of TV sci-fi there's been in years. On the third or so episode of season 2 and I can assure you - it just keeps getting better :O

Keef Monkey

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 February, 2017, 11:46:45 AM
:D Yes, more of this sort of thing. Since it appeared on Netflix people are gradually turning onto this which is really gratifying as it's one of my favorite new series and the best slice of TV sci-fi there's been in years. On the third or so episode of season 2 and I can assure you - it just keeps getting better :O

I take it season 2 isn't on UK Netflix yet? I've been keeping my eyes peeled, we were absolutely hooked on that first season so the wait for more is proving difficult!

Dunk!

Up to ep5 of season 2 of this and...
[spoiler]
                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Whoa!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                [/spoiler]

Just must see TV for me.
"Trust we"

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah just saw that  :o Blimey that was extraordinary - those catching up have a lot to look forward to!

Dunk!

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 27 February, 2017, 08:59:20 PM
Yeah just saw that  :o Blimey that was extraordinary - those catching up have a lot to look forward to!

[spoiler]Had to check they weren't ending the series early and that there were more episodes. :)[/spoiler]

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Jim_Campbell

There's a comic, too, you know...

(TV series rather than novel tie-in. Background stories on the key characters... single issues exclusive to Comixology, a TPB forthcoming down the line.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Thanks for the nod on this guys.  My daughter has been nagging for a netflix subscription for a while so we've taken the plunge.  Saw this and thought, 'why the heck not'?  I'd have to say that some of the criticisms are valid in that it deploys a lot of the current sci-fi tropes, mixed in with a bit of noir pulp.  That said, it does so fairly competently.  There is enough mystery, chicanery and downright deviousness to keep me engaged and lets face it, it's not as if there is much else out there.  The world building is fairly robust and believable, the SFX works pretty well (on the iPad at any rate), the quality of acting is reasonable and the characters are believable enough.  It's been a while since a series has hooked me in to the level this has.  Not sure if I want to try the novels based on CFM's and SG's feedback.  Having been burnt with Game of Thrones I think I'll just stick with the telly this time.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tjm86 on 01 April, 2017, 03:57:15 PMNot sure if I want to try the novels based on CFM's and SG's feedback.  Having been burnt with Game of Thrones I think I'll just stick with the telly this time.

:o I've not read the novels!

Although good timing as I showed my auld man this last night - he loves a bit of hard sci-fi and that first episode is still as convincing as it was the other year. Good solid bedrock to what turns into an absurdly vital series.

Still not that tempted to read the books though  :lol:

Tjm86

My bad CFM, I misread your post.  Got to the end of episode 10 last night and thought 'bugger' when I realised that was the end of the current series.  Nice to know that there is a S2 to come.

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed the books a lot, but the TV series is definitely better. The books were quick, quite light reads with a bit of a thriller/pulp/noir feel to them. IN SPACE.

Tjm86

Apologies for necroposting but Email from Netflix announcing that season 2 is starting on 8th Sept.  Tidy!