Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tjm86 on 31 August, 2017, 02:31:39 PM
Apologies for necroposting but Email from Netflix announcing that season 2 is starting on 8th Sept.  Tidy!

YES!

JamesC

I started watching this but everything was dark and everyone was whispering or mumbling.
I decide to give up - didn't seem much point watching a programme I couldn't see or hear!

Pyroxian

Quote from: JamesC on 01 September, 2017, 10:48:51 AM
I started watching this but everything was dark and everyone was whispering or mumbling.
I decide to give up - didn't seem much point watching a programme I couldn't see or hear!

I know what you mean about the mumbling - I've had to stick the subtitles on...

Still enjoying it though - halfway through S2 now.

Keef Monkey

Mrs Monkey and myself finished S2 last night and have to say, it's hands down, far and away our favourite show on TV these days by a really, really long way. Definitely the most into something we've been since Battlestar. We're enjoying it so damn much, and love every character on that wee ship. It's incredibly rare nowadays that we do anything approaching binge-watching a show and we only generally like to watch something different from night to night and keep a few things on the go, but with this it was Expanse every night until it was done.

And now it's done.

The thought that it might be a year before Netflix get S3 is a bit of a torment.

CrazyFoxMachine

shaolin_monkey

Yep, totally chained season 2 - watched it over three days.  Damn, it was soooo good... to a point (after which it was still good, just not as much).

[spoiler]While it remained of high quality and great interest throughout, I thought the first six episodes with the chase followed by that cop dude's arc coming to an end was just some of the best telly ever - so thrilling! 

However, the subsequent episodes, while still very entertaining indeed, were all a bit of an anti-climax afterwards.  Plus the fact that this alien blue stuff just seems to be everywhere now, making that mad rush to wipe out the asteroid redundant.  Still, I'm very curious to see what happened to all the folk in that ship touching down on Venus. [/spoiler]

In a nutshell, better than that new Star Trek series (albeit there have only been three episodes of that out so far).

Mardroid

I just started the Expanse season 2 (I gobbled up the first three episodes) and, yes it's very enjoyable.

I'm enjoying Discovery just as much. Two very different stories that work well.

IndigoPrime

We watched the last four episodes all in one go last night. I can't recall the last time we did something like that after mini-IP arrived on the scene. I'm really enjoying shows that barrel things along. The first half of this season (which itself is only 13 episodes) felt like an entire season in and of itself; and the same with the second half.

Mrs IP also pointed out that the show manages to be quite diverse in some areas, too (body; race; gender), which is still bafflingly a rarity these days. (They could do with another woman on crew though.) Elsewhere, the effects are solid, the scripting works well, the acting's strong, the characters are generally well-rounded with very few ciphers, and there are really nice moments peppered throughout, such as [spoiler]using Jupiter's many moons to slingshot into position[/spoiler]. Looking forward to s03, and glad it's already on a full order, rather than Syfy hedging its bets.

CrazyFoxMachine

I just spotted that I started this thread  :o I was ahead of the curb on that one, at least! (I also was championing Rick and Morty when the first episode came out NOW THEY'RE BURNING DOWN McDONALDS ACROSS AMERICA JUST FOR THE LOVE IT).

My next recommendation: [spoiler]Crufts.[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

'The Expanse' To End On Syfy With Season 3, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere By Alcon

The current third season of The Expanse will be the space drama's last one on Syfy. The cable network has decided not to renew the show for a fourth season, with the last episode slated to air in early July. Alcon Television Group, which fully finances and produces the critically praised series, plans to shop it to other buyers.

Keef Monkey

Gutted. Haven't seen any of season 3 yet (because we get them on a few month's delay on Netflix here) but seasons 1 and 2 established it as my favourite show on TV, by a very long way. Hopeful that with it being a Netflix original they'll be keen to pick it up and continue it (one can dream)!

IndigoPrime

I suppose it depends on $$$$ but this would be a good one for Netflix to pick up itself.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 May, 2018, 04:48:17 PM
I suppose it depends on $$$$ but this would be a good one for Netflix to pick up itself.

Alcon Television Group, which fully finances and produces the critically praised series, plans to shop it to other buyers.

These are the same crowd who made BR2049 – they must have buckets of someone else's money.

philt

It looks like the entire Earth Alliance Plot isn't just the only thing it shares with Babylon 5*, as it adds a torrid relationship with a network, and being on the Brink (no pun - okay a small one) of permanent cancellation to the list

[spoiler](*the whole message with Sadavir Errinwright being recorded, channels Morgan Clarke message being recorded by Ivannova, as does the hybrid "weapon's supplies", the third season being the one the "great war came upon us all, the poisoning of Pyotr Korshunov as was the way in the "old republic" and more. There are shots, which, if not lifted are er "similar" - the reveal of Fred Johnson is similar to Londo at the bombardment of Narn, the attack on the Ganymede redolent of Zha'ha'Duum, the whole aesthetic of the UN military and more it's too geeky to mention. But still I enjoy it.)[/spoiler]

Theblazeuk