Main Menu

Better Call Saul

Started by Smith, 26 April, 2017, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Things are certanly heating up in season 3.:)

Buttonman

Good episode three although I am liking the Gus/Mike plot more than the Jimmy & his brother one.

The pace is glacially slow but that's part of the beauty.

In the latest [spoiler]I didn't twig that the old tatty trainers that fell down at the start were a flash forward of the ones Mike chucked up - I thought they were a signal for the drug couriers. The Los Pollos van should have been a clue - looks like Mike manages to get Hector off the route eventually![/spoiler]

Smith

About the trainers,same here. :)
As for the pacing,Im getting the feeling it was made for binge watching.

Keef Monkey

It was great this week, and that trainer observation went over my head too. I think I was forgetting that the show often opens on a pre-titles flashback and just assumed I was looking at current events!

It was the first episode I've downloaded on the Netflix app and watched on my tablet though, I don't generally do that because I'd rather soak it up on the big telly without distractions, but have been working too late to get home and do that so figured this was a good solution.

Anyway, the point I'm getting to is that the download seemed to suffer a few problems and I was curious if others have the same issues - the sound developed a crackle about halfway through the episode which got worse and worse as it went on until things were pretty distorted, and then the picture started skipping occasionally. Was really annoying, but I still enjoyed the show which is probably testament to how damn good it is. Not sure if that's a 'thing' with Netflix downloads or if I just got unlucky with this one.

In future I'll be holding off until I can watch it on the couch in front of the telly, for a show that's so character based it's shot in a very cinematic way so that's clearly where it really shines anyway. It looks amazing at times.

TordelBack

Mmmm, some of the shots where Mike was following the tracker down desert roads last week were just extraordinary - especially juxtaposed with Jimmy's mural art of essentially the same thing. The pacing of BCS, and the room it affords these kinds of sequences, is exquisite, one of my favourite things about a great show.

Mute77

This is my favourite thing on telly at the mo*. Normally a slow burning pace would bore me but its something about the characters/actors that i cant get enough of. Brilliant stuff.
*this and Fargo!

radiator

Quote from: Smith on 27 April, 2017, 05:49:50 AM
About the trainers,same here. :)
As for the pacing,Im getting the feeling it was made for binge watching.

Yeah - it's definitely more satisfying to binge watch rather than piecemeal week to week. I love the extended visual sequences though - so cinematic. I liked the sequence of Kim getting ready for work - reminded me a bit of Darren Aronofsky and Edgar Wright's style.

Keef Monkey

All the Jimmy/Chuck interplay is delicious. I loved the moment in the latest episode where Jimmy is sitting on the curb [spoiler]and Chuck is standing over him, just after they've duped him into storming into the house. When Jimmy turns to Chuck and and does the whole 'Here's what's going to happen, you're going to have one of your meltdowns and they're going to take you to the hospital...' thing. There's spite in his voice, but also sadness because although he's angry with Chuck he still doesn't like the idea of him deteriorating without people there to help him out. And Chuck's reaction is great too, just a twinge of fear as he realizes that for all his problems with Jimmy the actual thought of having to get through things without him is quite frightening, and it perhaps hadn't properly hit him until it was laid out so plainly in anger.[/spoiler]

The writing and performances in this show really are quite remarkably good.

Dark Jimbo

While Breaking Bad had some stellar moments and episodes, it also really dragged in places and got a bit silly in others. BCS never hits the highest heights of BB, but unlike BB it's consistent - a steady level of quality right the way through, episode after episode.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mattofthespurs

Man, just finished the 1st season.
I love this show.
It's all good, man.

radiator

I love it.

Weirdly, it does a few of the things that I usually hate about prequels, but I don't mind because its so well made and you can just tell everyone involved is really bringing their a game.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 05 May, 2017, 07:33:53 AM
I love it.

Weirdly, it does a few of the things that I usually hate about prequels, but I don't mind because its so well made and you can just tell everyone involved is really bringing their a game.

It does a great job of kicking you in the stomach on a regular basis - I find myself looking at the newly painted office, at how supportive Kim is, how decent Ernie is, how Mike has avoided getting offed by either Hector or Gus, and thinking hey!  They'll work this out, Jimmy and Mike are as cunning and likeable as it's possible to be... it'll all be fine.

And only then do I remember I'm watching a prequel.

Must say, my ideal end for this show would be for it to stop just short of BB, then without skipping a beat resume Jimmy's story in the 'present':  see if he can get back on top after all.

Mardroid

I haven't watched either of these shows.

Would you guys suggest it's best to start with the prequel (Better Call Saul) or watch it in production order?

Smith

I have to say production order.

radiator

Deffo Breaking Bad first.