Main Menu

Better Call Saul

Started by Smith, 26 April, 2017, 04:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Dont think thats going to be a problem anymore.
Predictable finale,but okay.

Keef Monkey

Chuck's struggles have actually been one of the strongest (possibly even THE strongest) hooks and arcs for me in the show. He's easily one of the most interesting 'villains' I've seen, in that you do view him as the antagonist and you do hate him on some level (at least initially), but the more it's gone on the more I just feel sad for him. He's not a 'baddie', he's just deeply unwell, and as out there as the electricity thing seems on the surface, it's actually been one of the best handlings of mental illness in recent memory, in terms of the writing and the performance.

I'm probably oversharing but I've wrestled with a lot of mental health problems through life (both my own and in my family) and while I don't have (or know anyone who has) the very specific issue he does, there's a great deal about his behaviour that is startlingly familiar (uncomfortably so at times) and that resonates and touches me and makes me wish more than anything that he can just get better.

Maybe not the popular view as I know he's done a lot of spiteful things and is the biggest antagonist in the show, but his story really breaks my heart. A tremendous bit of character work.

shaolin_monkey

Agree totally with this. The last minute of the show was an absolute kick in the teeth.

By the way, it took me about three episodes before I realised he was David St Hubbins!

Mattofthespurs

Excellent end to the series and moving and sad for several reasons.
Can't wait until season 4 but until then I will have to be content with season 2 of Preacher.

Magnetica

Surprised there have been no posts on the new series, especially given it is now 4 or 5 episodes in.

For me this has been the best season yet, as it moves more towards Breaking Bad territory (i.e more stuff about the cartels) and we have finally moved away from the tiresome electricity phobia stuff with Jimmy's brother.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Magnetica on 13 September, 2018, 03:30:37 PMwe have finally moved away from the tiresome electricity phobia stuff with Jimmy's brother.

Read the room, buddy.

TordelBack

For myself I've been missing Chuck's malevolent jealousy, but otherwise it's been great. Best bit so far was the scene where Howard shows up at Kim and Jimmy's apartment wracked with guilt.  Loved seeing that pompous pillock squirm, not to mention the dishevelled hair!

Kim is an absolute gem of a character, a brilliant intellect screwed over by inexplicable love, a great counterpoint to Jimmy's even greater smarts undermined by his own bitter self-regard: I'm dreading finding out what happens there.  In a good way.

Keef Monkey

Yeah I have to say Chuck was the most interesting friction in the show for me so was sad to see that wrapped up. Been really enjoying the new season so far but without that dynamic it maybe doesn't feel quite as focused as before? It's still fantastic though, it's just the momentum feels different now, I'm sure once I settle into the new status quo that quibble will fade.

Magnetica

Where as for me I can see it accelerating towards Jimmy becoming Saul, which I assume is the overall point of the show. We have now seen Saul clearing out his office at the end as per the end of Breaking Bad.

I also am wondering what becomes of Kim / Jimmy's relationship with her.

Mattofthespurs

I've seen the first 3 of the new series and it's excellent.
My 14 year old Son is going through Breaking Bad at the moment (nearly at the end of season 4) and he loves it.

I may hang on and watch BCS with him at a later date (as much as it pains me).

MacabreMagpie

Surprised there's no discussion of this show going on here right now. Last few episodes have been INTENSE!

Richard

It's the best show I've ever seen, bar none. Consistently good quality, unlike many other shows that are brilliant when they're good but are not good every week. I hope Kim will be okay, but she obviously won't be because she's not in Breaking Bad. Oh dear!

Rately

That most recent released to Netflix was incredible. The last ten minutes with Lalo, and the whole set-up over the previous episode was just brilliant. I am deeply worried about Kim, Richard, and hope she somehow finds a way out, but knowing Gould and Gilligan, we are probably headed for almighty heartbreak.

I find, as we near the end ( beginning of Breaking Bad ) that moments like Mike's speech about his family are hitting me hard, and also increased the tragedy of his inevitable ending, and maybe it is the times we live in, but the show just carries an incredible energy and creativity to be its own thing, but also add so much to Breaking Bad. Just amazing writing, quality acting performances from the entire cast. It is just an absolute blessing of a show.

Crazy to think that the creators initially conceived it as a comedy show.

Apestrife

I love this show so much.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Richard on 16 April, 2020, 12:38:54 PM
I hope Kim will be okay, but she obviously won't be because she's not in Breaking Bad. Oh dear!

That doesn't mean she's not around *during* Breaking Bad, though. Jimmy could be going back home to her at the end of the day.