Main Menu

Star Trek: Strange new Worlds

Started by The Legendary Shark, 10 May, 2022, 10:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

I liked this a lot, I also like Discovery a lot particularly the last season but I like them for different reasons.  The old school episodic nature of New Worlds is to its benefit and we get to know the crew better that other new Treks also Pike does have magnificent hair.  Final episode was great but the new Captain Kirk while gone isn't no Shatner.  Bring on season 2

CU Radbacker

wedgeski

Bloody great, a Nu Trek for me to love with no obvious flaws to overlook!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 16 July, 2022, 09:10:34 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 July, 2022, 01:14:21 PM

That final episode's a corker...

I've just watched that final episode for the fourth time and I think it's one of the best Trek episodes ever - has nobody else felt the love? Please don't say I'm alone in this (as well)!

I'm conflicted, [spoiler]Balance of Terror[/spoiler] is one of my favourite episodes of any Trek. This reworking is interesting, but I wish they'd left it alone. I had warmed to Peck's Spock but I'm not keen on [spoiler]this third version of Kirk. Say what you want about Shatner's acting, but this new guy doesn't have that twinkle in his eye.[/spoiler]

Still, best new Star Trek since Voyager's occasional good episode.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Good, strong start to Season Two!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Episode 2, Ad Astra per Aspera, and Una's case finally comes up. I love this episode because I love Star Trek and I also love courtroom dramas. Beyond these two facts, this episode is Trek with something important to say and saying it well. Great stuff!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

For the first time in over two decades, I feel like I watched an episode of Star Trek.

Hmmm. This new guy doesn't have Shatner's unique charisma, but I liked the character he played, who happened to be called James T Kirk. From another reality, so I'll afford some wiggle room.

I keep developing crushes on characters in this show. I think I might be Trekkiesexual.

The Legendary Shark

This latest episode, Those old Scientists, was excellent. A really brave crossover/time-travel yarn that's laugh out loud funny. A stand-out episode, not just in SnW but the franchise as a whole. Trek seems truly born again.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The tone of each episode swings between dark and brooding to cheesy and cheerful. It's like The Cure's back catalogue.

The Legendary Shark

S02E09, Subspace Rhapsody. I admire the chutzpah of such episodes, but I think I'll be doing my best to forget about this one.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I wasn't against the concept of a musical episode, but the execution was severely lacking.

How could they top "Faith of the Heart"?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 04 August, 2023, 11:00:29 PMI wasn't against the concept of a musical episode, but the execution was severely lacking.

But... but... Disco Klingons?! I mean, come on...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 August, 2023, 11:09:22 PM
Quote from: Definitely Not Mister Pops on 04 August, 2023, 11:00:29 PMI wasn't against th concept of a musical episode, but the execution was severely lacking.

But... but... Disco Klingons?! I mean, come on...!

Oh that was a great 20 seconds, but the rest...in a show that prides itself in diversity, it was mostly bland white people theatre music with 3/4 pish poor knock offs of Let it go