Main Menu

New League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Movie In The Works.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 18 May, 2022, 09:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

It was just faithful to the imagery though. It got a lot of the tone wrong.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richard

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 09 July, 2022, 06:16:42 PM
It was just faithful to the imagery though. It got a lot of the tone wrong.

I liked it when I saw it first, but it seemed to fall apart when I rewatched it.  Maybe I'd been brainwashed by online criticism; but some things weren't washing any more - Laurie and Dan remorselessly murdering criminals instead of beating them up; Dan's lack of middle-aged spread and the general flashiness of action scenes; the complete avoidance of the apocalyptic moral conundrum when the big scheme is uncovered; Ozymandias' chisel-jawed statuesque appearance being replaced by a sneaky-looking weasel (no offence to him, but a Greek god he wasn't).

I much preferred the TV series; it managed to nail an Alan Moore atmosphere far better) by doing a completely new story.  (Irons was a far better Ozymandias too, though I still wasn't quite on board with the arrogance and narcissism - I would have seen him as a guy who had striven hard to keep his ego in check.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sintec

The TV series did the very Moore thing of taking an existing universe/set up and spinning it on it's head and looking at it from a new angle. Rather than trying to recreat the original it took it as a starting point to head off in a new direction and tell it's own story.

Tiplodocus

I really enjoyed the show. In early episodes I thought, "you don't need the comic to understand this". But by the end I thought, "if you don't know the comic, you won't have a clue what's going on".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!