Main Menu

Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ (High Chance of SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 31 May, 2022, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 01 June, 2022, 02:20:03 PM
No it was released last Friday. I was trying to do a Jedi mind trick, but failed. Hard to do over the internet.

Ah. Sorry! Yes, I get it now. See? Early-onset dementia.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Certainly explains the lack of major announcements on May the 4th (the third of the 'announcement days' being the Disney shareholders AGM).

Richmond Clements

Bloody hell, episode 3 was intense. We always knew that Vader was a badass, but [spoiler]snapping a child's neck[/spoiler] was next level intense.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 June, 2022, 04:50:10 PM
Bloody hell, episode 3 was intense. We always knew that Vader was a badass, but [spoiler]snapping a child's neck[/spoiler] was next level intense.

I totally understand he has to be ruthless/evil to build up the myth that became Vader but  I never got this  line "there is good in him" especially after episode iii and his slaughter of the Tusken's and younglins at the Jedi Temple. I never felt there was true redemption for all that he had done.

Still enjoy the franchise though
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 01 June, 2022, 07:38:58 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 June, 2022, 04:50:10 PM

I totally understand he has to be ruthless/evil to build up the myth that became Vader but  I never got this  line "there is good in him" especially after episode iii and his slaughter of the Tusken's and younglins at the Jedi Temple. I never felt there was true redemption for all that he had done.

Still enjoy the franchise though

I always took "there is good in him" to be more about removing a weapon of destruction from the forces of the dark side, as opposed to forgiving him. It is a difficult circle to square, though - and it's why he needed to die in a redemptive act at the end of Jedi. It still makes the "buddy ghosts" scene around the Ewok campfire a bit odd, though. Hey - Anakin old buddy! No hard feelings!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Magnetica

Just watched the first four episodes. It was ok, but a few few don't sit right with me.

Yes it also this also occurred to me: why don't Jedis wear different clothes?

I hope they don't over use Vader to the extent he loses his aura. As with the Borg and the Dark Judges, you can't retain that if you keep not defeating your opponents.

How come Ben wasn't dripping wet when he entered the Empire's base? It's not just a continuity error, it affects the plot as the Stormtroopers would notice a trail of water on the floor.

Why would you have windows under the water in your military base?
And that scene where they corridor floods but Ben escapes from it easily didn't make a lot of sense to me; it just seemed to jump to he's outside and the Stormtroopers are dead in the flooded corridor.

Oh and how come they just go ...oh here's the Inquitors' /Vader's secret base and that's obviously where they have taken Leia?

I don't really like the humanising of the Stormtroopers, for example them chatting amongst themselves. It kinda takes away from their mystic.

The Legendary Shark

I'm finding this quite disappointing. We know Leia's going to survive. We know Obi-Wan's going to survive. We know Vader's going to survive. There's no jeopardy.

And why does Vader's base seem to have no offensive or defensive weaponry at all, so Obi-Wan can just fly away unopposed? Even the TIE fighters don't give chase. Sure, because tracker, but wouldn't a general who fought in the Clone Wars think this was a bit odd and figure it out in short order?

Not impressed.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

Also for what you would think is a highly regimented military force, the Empire seems to have incredibly lax security.

For example if you are questioned by a security guard, it's no problem just say you are working for Vader or the Inquisitor and they will be so scared they will ignore protocol.

And why was Tala not missed from the duty she was meant to be performing?
How come she can just log into systems she should not have access rights to?

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 10 June, 2022, 10:43:52 AM
Also for what you would think is a highly regimented military force, the Empire seems to have incredibly lax security.

For example if you are questioned by a security guard, it's no problem just say you are working for Vader or the Inquisitor and they will be so scared they will ignore protocol.

You missed one bit out - if a ranking officer says they're working for Vader or the Inquisitor.  This works perfectly in a highly regimented military force (or doesn't work, but at least reflects the real world).

The Legendary Shark

It seems to me that they're telling a completely pointless story. It shouldn't be about Leia at all.

Granted, it would take something extraordinary to pull Obi-Wan away from watching over Luke but putting Leia in peril simply doesn't work for me and seems like lazy writing. Off the top of my head, how about having the underground railroad for fugitive Jedi (which is a cool idea) set up a waystation on Tatooine? Obi-Wan would then be torn between helping his fellow Jedi and protecting Luke - the UR would risk attracting attention to Luke, which Obi-Wan couldn't risk, putting the General in a difficult position. Further, amongst the younglings who escaped the Jedi Temple could include people who turn out to be one or more of Rey's parents, who later abandon her to protect her following the example set by Obi-Wan all those years ago. This would at least add something to the overall story arc rather than this pointless excursion.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 10 June, 2022, 11:10:10 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 10 June, 2022, 10:43:52 AM

You missed one bit out - if a ranking officer says they're working for Vader or the Inquisitor.  This works perfectly in a highly regimented military force (or doesn't work, but at least reflects the real world).

Yeah ok... I guess....but a ranking officer who wasn't meant to be there.

Magnetica

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 June, 2022, 12:05:54 PM

It seems to me that they're telling a completely pointless story. It shouldn't be about Leia at all.

Granted, it would take something extraordinary to pull Obi-Wan away from watching over Luke but putting Leia in peril simply doesn't work for me and seems like lazy writing. Off the top of my head, how about having the underground railroad for fugitive Jedi (which is a cool idea) set up a waystation on Tatooine? Obi-Wan would then be torn between helping his fellow Jedi and protecting Luke - the UR would risk attracting attention to Luke, which Obi-Wan couldn't risk, putting the General in a difficult position. Further, amongst the younglings who escaped the Jedi Temple could include people who turn out to be one or more of Rey's parents, who later abandon her to protect her following the example set by Obi-Wan all those years ago. This would at least add something to the overall story arc rather than this pointless excursion.

Or how about just telling a story about Ben's life on Tatooine, with him watching over Luke? There's no need to pull it away from that. Surely there is enough there with the Sand people, the Jawas and the Hutt to be getting on with. And Lar's overwhelming desire to keep Luke out of it. I had expected this to be a more of a background to episode IV.  Maybe it will get there later- not sure if there are any plans for subsequent series.

The Legendary Shark

Yes, that would be good too. (I had in my mind an image of Obi-Wan getting bored, sitting with crumbs and soup stains down his front, while his companion (an old Stormtrooper ally, maybe Rex) does all the work - until something happens to shake them out of their complacency.)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]