Main Menu

Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney+ (High Chance of SPOILERS)

Started by Jim_Campbell, 31 May, 2022, 09:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 June, 2022, 12:05:54 PM
Granted, it would take something extraordinary to pull Obi-Wan away from watching over Luke but putting Leia in peril simply doesn't work for me and seems like lazy writing. Off the top of my head, how about having the underground railroad for fugitive Jedi (which is a cool idea) set up a waystation on Tatooine?

There's been so much online whinging about how every Star Wars story seems to be set on Tatooine, I'm not surprised they wanted to take it off planet this time!

sheridan

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 June, 2022, 01:37:21 PM

Yes, that would be good too. (I had in my mind an image of Obi-Wan getting bored, sitting with crumbs and soup stains down his front, while his companion (an old Stormtrooper ally, maybe Rex) does all the work - until something happens to shake them out of their complacency.)

Completely read that as "sitting with Salacious Crumb"

p.s. Rex was a clone trooper, not a stormtrooper, and I'm sure would fight you for it :)

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: sheridan on 10 June, 2022, 04:13:59 PM

Rex was a clone trooper, not a stormtrooper, and I'm sure would fight you for it :)

Heh - and that's why I'm an armchair amateur!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

I like that Leia's in it, and creating a strong bond with Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi, as someone she would later turn to when she was in desperate need of help.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

"I can't believe he's gone."

"I know. He helped me once too, you know."

"Really?"

"Yes. Flew all the way from Tatooine just because my father asked him to."

"He knew your father too?"

"Well, I was adopted but..."

"Hang on... Do you think...?"

"Come on, Kid, we ain't outta this yet."

"Graaaawwrr."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Yes, well - one might as easily complain that Vader turning out to be Luke's dad is trite writing. It's all a bit silly. There are noises in space, and spaceships accelerate with giant engines at the back but never need to turn around to decelerate, and they have magic gravity, and FTL travel (even though that breaks causality).

I still like that Leia's in this show. Maybe none of it's true - and it's all a legend being told thousands of years in the future, like Norse mythology stuff. After all, it was a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

All true, and maybe I am being a bit harsh. I suppose we can't all like everything and holes can easily be poked. For example, wouldn't medical droids do scans of everyone who joins a rebel cell in order to help with future care, and wouldn't Luke and Leia's DNA be on file and cross-referenced?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

And all the planets and moons have the same gravity and breathable atmospheres, regardless of size or composition.

Buy they generally do in Star Trek as well.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 June, 2022, 08:29:00 PM
Yes, well - one might as easily complain that Vader turning out to be Luke's dad is trite writing. It's all a bit silly. There are noises in space, and spaceships accelerate with giant engines at the back but never need to turn around to decelerate, and they have magic gravity, and FTL travel (even though that breaks causality).

Yes to most of that but isn't hyperspace technically a seperate set of dimensions and so they're not actually travelling faster than light (from a certain point of view)?

The Legendary Shark

I like the answer to the speed problem that JMS gave in relation to Babylon 5; "ships travel at the speed of plot."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Magnetica

Quote from: sheridan on 11 June, 2022, 09:26:11 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 June, 2022, 08:29:00 PM

Yes to most of that but isn't hyperspace technically a seperate set of dimensions and so they're not actually travelling faster than light (from a certain point of view)?

As far as I know "they" have never really attempted to explain how FTL travel works in Star Wars.

As I understand it, the explanation given in Star Trek is that warp drive warps space, shrinking the space in front of the ship bringing the destination nearer and pushing what is behind further away.

In B5 and Stargate they enter a hyperspace realm that is outside of normal space. Which fits the description above.

Jim_Campbell

Han Solo: "She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

...Which would pretty much suggest that 'hyperspace travel' in the SW universe is FTL. Although, if the Falcon can only make "point five past lightspeed", either all the planets in this faraway galaxy are really close together, or the characters age really slowly and those years-long journeys have been judiciously edited. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 June, 2022, 12:27:18 PM

Han Solo: "She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

...Which would pretty much suggest that 'hyperspace travel' in the SW universe is FTL. Although, if the Falcon can only make "point five past lightspeed", either all the planets in this faraway galaxy are really close together, or the characters age really slowly and those years-long journeys have been judiciously edited. :-)

Solo also thought a parsec was a unit of time. Probably thinks a lightyear is too, I shouldn't wonder. Point five of what past lightspeed? 0.5mm/hour? 0.5 au/ms? Clearly he*'s just blustering out meaningless technobabble and doesn't understand the words coming out of his mouth. Futhermore he* is a bounder and a cad so I don't think his word should be taken as gospel.

Only watched the first episode of this. Jedi: Fallen Order did this kind of story better, and with original characters to boot. Not too sure I could be arsed with the rest of it, but it's good that other people like it.

*I could be talking about Solo or Lucas here, I'm not too sure myself
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 11 June, 2022, 02:43:04 PM
Solo also thought a parsec was a unit of time.

They kind of addressed this in the Solo movie (using broadly the same explanation that I'd figured out in my head by the age of ten*), ie: the Kessel Run can only be navigated by very circuitous routes, a route plotted in smaller numbers of parsecs is more risky, but quicker because you traverse less distance.

*Why, yes, I was a precocious little nerd. What makes you ask...? ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.